Its’ a “D-C” Day!
Happy Birthday to Zachary Cudmore and Toby Quimby.
Welcome to the Following Guest Staff Today: Kenneth Nicolle for Charlie Trainor, Adam Clow for Kelly Pike
- Welcome to 2017! We are now on the final stretch to first semester exams, beginning on January 25.
- Today in the Cafeteria: chicken stir fry with Cantonese noodles, cheesesteak quesadilla, Mexican pizza and chicken Caesar salad wrap.
- The Culinary meal planned for this week has been postponed.
- First SADD meeting for 2017 will be Tuesday, January 10, at 12 noon. Attendance is essential.
- MRHS Gymnastics starts next week at Montague Consolidated School – practices after school Monday to Thursday.
- Homeroom teachers have posted a green sheet with a list of overdue Library materials. Students should return or renew at break or lunch time.
- Homeroom teachers have information regarding the 2017 Read Harder Challenge. Students can pick up a copy in the library to fill out.
- 2017 Scholastic book flyers have arrived, including Teen Readers! Stop by the Library to get yours.
- Check out the new Author spotlight featuring Michael Crichton! We have dozens of his books in the library! Some of his work includes Prey. He’s a fascinating person, who in his own words, says this about himself: “When I was 15 I wanted to go to college and be a writer. When I was 20, I was in college and applying to medical school to become a doctor. When I was 25, I was in medical school but I was going to quit when it was finished. When I was 30, I was a successful film director with my first film, Westworld, in release. When I was 35, I had almost decided I didn’t want to direct any more, but I wasn’t sure what to do next. So I started a software company and did computer games. When I was 40, I really wanted to only direct movies and never write again. When I was 45, I had my first child and I was happily writing and not interested in directing. … I feel like my life has been very exciting and very unpredictable.”
- Tomorrow in the Cafeteria: soup with grilled cheese sandwich on texas toast, donair pizza and ranch taco wrap.
- January 13 Culinary Meal: This is for all you vegetarians out there. Come on down to Room #136 at 11:50 am for Culinary group #4’s Home Cooked meal on January 13. We will be serving a crunchy green apple salad dressed with a creamy, sweet and tangy apple vinaigrette, followed by a bowl of vegetarian chili matched with a slice of cornbread and a stuffed-to-the-brim baked potato, paired with a glass of cucumber mint water, and finally, to top it off, a maple cookie for dessert.
- Encounters Contest: Celebrate Canada’s shared history with Belgium by creating a personalized, contemporary vision of John McCrae’s celebrated poem, In Flanders Fields – a symbol of the sacrifices of all who fought in the First World War. Contest submissions may be in the form of a card, poem, recital, play, video, photo, audio recording, choreography, visual artwork or essay, expressing whatIn Flanders Fields means to you. Get inspired by learning more about John McCrae’s history and what led him to write his celebrated poem, In Flanders Fields. Visit https://www.ewc-rdc.ca/pub/en/contest. The contest deadline is February 28, 2017. See Mrs. Killeen for more details.
- Yearbooks can be ordered until February 17, 2017. Cost is $50; payment can be made by cash or by cheque made payable to MRHS. Yearbooks can also be ordered on-line using a credit card. The link is available on the school’s website. Do it now; avoid the rush! If you don’t order one, you won’t get one!
- SAVE group meets every Wednesday at 11:50am in the Library Conference Room.
- Wrestling practices run at MCS on Wednesdays from 4:00-6:00pm and Mondays from 3:30-5:30pm.
- Craft Group meets Monday at lunch hour in Room #133. Check it out! New members welcome!
- The Fitness Center is closed on Wednesday after school to all students except Power Lifters.
- Any student interested in playing board or card games should go to Room 84 at lunch time.
- Grad Activity Committee is collecting photos for the graduation ceremony slideshow. Send your candid photos to firstname.lastname@example.org or post to MRHS 2017 GRADS Facebook page.
- Choir runs Tuesdays from 3:30 to 5:00pm and every Wednesday at 7:30am.
- All students are required to pay a $20 Student Fee. Payments can be made at the front office.
- All Grade 12 students are asked to pay $40 to help defray costs of this year’s planned grad activities.