It’s a “D-C” Day!
Happy (early) Birthday to Gracee Gallant who will be celebrating her birthday tomorrow!
Welcome to the following guest staff: Lori Campbell for Carla Richards, Adam Clow for Kristina McLane (am), Jessica Campbell for Christie Beck, Nicole Butler for Karen Malone
Reminder: Parent Teachers are being held today from 6:00 to 8:30pm and again on Friday from 9:00am to 12:00 noon and from 1:00 to 3:00pm. There will be no classes for students tomorrow.
SAAD WEEK wraps up. Here’s a few stats to think about today:
- Road crashes continue to be a leading cause of death among teenagers. Motor vehicle crashes are the leading cause of death among 16 to 25 year olds, and alcohol and/or drugs are a factor in 55% of those crashes.
- The brain is not fully developed until the early 20s, and alcohol can cause long-term damage to a growing brain.
- Cell phones are one of the most common distractions for drivers. Drivers engaged in text messaging on a cellular phone are 23 times more likely to be involved in a crash or near crash event compared with non-distracted drivers.
- Winner of $25 gas card for submitting a contract for life is…Isaac MacNeill.
- Winner of $10 McDonald’s card for wearing red is…Katelyn Visser.
- SADD members would like to thank everyone who took the time to participate.
- Hope you didn’t forget Student Council’s homeroom competition! The homeroom who collects the most food donations for the food bank will win a pizza party. This is the last day of the competition.
- The Social Justice and Diversity Club is holding a bake sale today. Cupcakes, cookies and even cake pops will be for sale in the Cafeteria.
- Yearbook orders will be taken at Parent Teacher Interviews on Thursday evening and Friday morning. Cost is $50; payment can be made by cash or by cheque made payable to MRHS. Yearbooks can also be ordered on-line using a credit card. The link is available on the school’s website. Please note the deadline for ordering a yearbook is February 17, 2017. Remember, if you don’t order one, you won’t get one!
- Students are reminded that all Student and Athletic fees must be paid, as well as uniforms returned, in order to purchase a dance ticket. Those students planning on going to the Christmas dance this year should make sure all fees are paid and sports uniforms returned, to avoid disappointment when trying to purchase your dance ticket! See below for the extensive list of students with outstanding Athletic items.
- Dodgeball Action Today: Underdodge vs Snoop Doggy Dodge. Next game is Monday when Killers take on University Wood Islands.
- Week 2 of the Viking 7-Week Fitness Challenge continues! It’s not too late to join, all students and staff are welcome! Go Vikings! Today: 7:15am Walk/Run Club, 3:20pm Fitness Center Workout.
- Any students who are looking for volunteer opportunities, can see Ms. Victor in Student Services.
- Applications for the TD Scholarships for Community Leadership are available in Student Services. The deadline is November 18, 2016. If you have any questions you should see Ms. Victor.
- December 1: Acadia University will be here at lunch time to offer admissions on the spot to Grade 12 students.
- SHAD is seeking high achieving students interested in STEAM (science, technology, engineering, arts and mathematics) who are seeking an enrichment experience. The online application due date is November 28, by 11:59pm. More details and information are available in Student Services.
- Looking ahead: Students are reminded that the library is open for students to work during Parent-Teacher Interview times. Great opportunity to get caught up or get ahead!
- Christmas Scholastic book order slips as well as a new Teen Reader catalogue have arrived and are available in the Library until Friday.
- Auditions for Camp Rock: The Musical will be after school on Monday and Wednesday of next week. You do not need to be a member of the music department to audition for this show. You just need to be interested in acting and having fun putting a show together. Everyone who auditions should have a memorized monologue and a song prepared. The sign-up sheet for a spot is on the music room door.
- SAVE group meets every Wednesday at 11:50am in the Library Conference Room.
- Wrestling practices run at MCS on Wednesdays from 4:00-6:00pm and Mondays from 3:30-5:30pm.
- Craft Group meets Monday and Tuesday at lunch hour and/or after school on Tuesday and Wednesday from 3:15 to 4:00pm in Room #133.
- The Fitness Center is closed on Wednesday after school to all students except Power Lifters.
- Any student interested in playing board or card games should go to Room 84 at lunch time.
- Grad Activity Committee is collecting photos for the graduation ceremony slideshow. Send your candid photos to firstname.lastname@example.org or post to MRHS 2017 GRADS Facebook page.
- Choir runs Tuesdays from 3:30 to 5:00pm and every Wednesday at 7:30am.
- All students are required to pay a $20 Student Fee. Payments can be made at the front office.
- All Grade 12 students are asked to pay $40 to help defray costs of this year’s planned grad activities.
Athletic Fees/Forms/Uniforms Missing: Students listed below are asked to pay/return ASAP! Remember that students with missing fees and/or uniforms will not be able to attend the upcoming Christmas dance!
Braden Stewart – uniform/fee
Tanner Crant – fee
Brandon Lund – fee
Zach Lund – uniform/fee
Milo Ryan – uniform
Matt Quinn – uniform/fee
Donavan Bears – fee
Lily Levesque – fee
(uniform = jersey & shorts)
Dyllin Bernard – uniform
Hunter Wight – uniform
Ross Power – fee
Marshall Ryan – uniform/fee
Darian Rice – uniform
Dawson Lund – uniform/fee
Sawyer Acorn – uniform
John Campbell – uniform/fee
Brady Vincent – uniform
Stephen Thompson – uniform
Ben MacKenzie – uniform
Alex MacKinnon – uniform
Team Red Women’s Volleyball:
Hannah Annear – uniform
Abigail Munro – uniform
Robyn Vandenberge – uniform
Emma London – uniform
Rebecca Martens – uniform
Grace Rooney – uniform
Sarah MacRae – uniform
Madi Jay – uniform/fee
Team Black Women’s Volleyball:
Kyla White – uniform
Lydia MacLeod – uniform
Gabrielle Vandaele – uniform
Jaylyn Carroll – uniform
Madison Penny – uniform
Women’s Field Hockey:
Alexa Cann – uniform
Emma Stewart – uniform
Sarah Christensen – uniform
Alyta VandenBroek – uniform
Maria Ferguson – uniform
Grace Gormley – uniform
Trey VanColen – fee
TJ MacLeod – fee
Morgan Jardine – fee
Emma London – fee/form
Brady Vincent – fee/form
John Campbell – fee/form
Dyllin Bernard – form
Ben MacKenzie – form/fee
Maria Ferguson – form/fee
Donavan Bears – form/fee
Austin deVries – form/fee
Darius Gardiner – fee
Lauren MacDonald – form/fee
Morgan Kemp – form/fee
Allie Clements – form
Lindsay Birt – fee
William MacLeod – fee
Caleb Creed – fee