It’s a “C-D” Day!
Happy Belated Birthday to Dexter Fraser who celebrated his birthday yesterday!
Welcome to the following guest staff: Kirk White for Donna White (am), Nancy Cudmore for Doug Weeks.
Library Week Contest Winners:
- Congratulations to Ms. McInnis’ class for winning the Homeroom Trivia Challenge.
- Congratulations to Zac O’Connor who won the Guess the Number of Books in the Library challenge.
- Winners of free books donated by Top Grade books are Alexa Cann, Morgan Jardine, Miranda Ings, and Jacinta Tarenta.
- Winner of the Chapters Indigo gift card is Joel Annear.
- Winner of the Teen Reader Book from Scholastic is Kyla Mackenzie.
- Joel, Alexa, Morgan, Miranda and Jacinta please see Mrs. Killeen to choose a free book! First come first choice! Thanks to all who participated!
- Visit the new November author of the month display, featuring Laurie Halse Anderson, show-casing some of her award winning books. Anderson is the author of Speak and Twisted, a popular book in our school library.
- Students who are interested in learning how to sew or meeting with others to knit should attend a meeting in Mrs. Hicken’s room (#133) at 12 sharp today.
This is Spirit Week:
- Monday, October 24: Monochromatic Monday (Did you wear all the same colour?)
- Tuesday, October 25: Flannel Tuesday
- Tuesday, October 25: Haunted Hallways from 6:30 – 8:30 pm. Admission is $2 or a food donation.
- Wednesday, October 26: Workout Wednesday
- Monday, October 31: Halloween Costume Day (Please no masks but feel free to use face paint to add to your costume.)
- Those who participate in Spirit Week will receive a ballot for a chance to win one of five candy bags!
- Halloween Candy-Grams: Send your friend or secret admirer a chocolate bar for $1. They will be sold in the ticket booth Monday to Wednesday and delivered on Halloween Day.
- Any students who are looking for volunteer opportunities, can see Ms. Victor in Student Services.
- October 24: The University of New Brunswick will be hosting a “Future Student Night” at 7:00pm at the Delta Prince Edward, Charlottetown and on Tuesday, October 25, at 7:00pm at Lakeview Loyalist, Summerside. Please arrive at 6:30pm for admission on the spot. RSVP onlone at unb.ca/recruitment
- Applications for the TD Scholarships for Community Leadership are available in Student Services. The deadline is November 18, 2016. If you have any questions you should see Ms. Victor.
- December 1: Acadia University will be here at lunch time to offer admissions on the spot to Grade 12 students.
- SHAD is seeking high achieving students interested in STEAM (science, technology, engineering, arts and mathematics) with incredible intellect, drive, initiative and creativity, who are seeking an enrichment experience. The online application due date is November 28, by 11:59pm (in whatever time-zone you are in). The admission process is competitive. The application takes into consideration both academic results and extra-curricular participation. Please review the application requirements before starting the online application. Preparing some information beforehand is recommended (e.g. essays, identifying a reference, etc.). Review a PDF version of the application and the FAQs to learn about the different sections. Check it out online!
- Today: Women’s Field Hockey play their semi-final against Bluefield at 7:00 pm at the Cornwall Turf.
- Women’s Volleyball Teams (both Red and Black) will be leaving at 3:45pm today for their games in Souris.
- Tuesday, Oct. 25: Men’s Soccer play home at 3:30pm against TOSH in their quarter final.
Athletes Fees/Forms Missing: Students listed below are asked to submit your fees and/or forms ASAP!
- Golf: T.J.MacLeod (fee)
- Cross Country: Marya MacPherson (fee), Micah MacDonald (fee), Colby Whilt (fee), Sarah Christensen (form & fee), Donavan Bears (fee), Tanner Crant (fee).
- Men’s Volleyball: Marshal Ryan (fee), Dawson Lund (fee), John Campbell (fee), Brady Vincent (fee).
- Women’s Soccer: Lily Levesque (fee).
- Women’s Volleyball: Madi Jay (fee).
- Men’s Soccer: Tanner Crant (fee), Jonathan Vincent (fee), Braden Stewart (fee), Brandon Lund (fee), Zach Lund (fee), Milo Ryan (fee), Matt Quinn (fee), Donavan Bears (fee).
- SADD will be organizing a “fry”day on Tuesday, October 25, at noon. Fries are $2. Huge thanks to Cavendish Farms for the donation of their fry wagon to kick-start our SADD group! Please pay attention to the posters that are up around the school with more info!
- The next SADD meeting will be Tuesday, November 1, from 11:50 to 12:25pm. Bring your lunch!
- Culinary Meal #4 Served on November 4: Himalayan food, featuring a lemony avocado salad, naan bread, savoury butter chicken on a bed of basmati rice, a crispy vegetarian samosa, sweet yogurt shrikhand with mango salad for desert, paired with a traditional drink, mint lassi. Meal will be available at 11:50 in Room #136. Reserve your plate at the ticket booth during lunch breaks – $8.
- Postcards for Peace is a learning activity in which youth send messages of thanks to those who served and those who continue to serve Canada in times of war, military conflict and peace. If students wish to send a postcard to a veteran, the Library will cover the cost of the postage. Postcards should contain an appropriate message and no personal information should be shared. Please get your postcard in the Library and return it by Friday, November 4. See Mrs. Killeen for more details.
- SAVE group meets every Wednesday at 11:50am in the Library Conference Room. Students can bring lunches.
- The Fitness Center is closed on Wednesday after school to all students except Power Lifters.
- Any student interested in playing board or card games should go to Room 84 at lunch time.
- Grad Activity Committee is collecting photos for the graduation ceremony slideshow. Send your candid photos to firstname.lastname@example.org or post to MRHS 2017 GRADS Facebook page.
- Choir runs Tuesdays from 3:30 to 5:00pm and every Wednesday at 7:30am.
- All students are required to pay a $20 Student Fee. Payments can be made at the front office.
- All Grade 12 students are asked to pay $40 to help defray costs of this year’s planned grad activities.
U18 Testing and Tryouts U18 Provincial Softball Team:
- If you are interested but unable to attend the first session please contact Chris Halliwell by e-mail at email@example.com or cell 416-580-8733 to let him know your interest. There will be a $20 tryout fee that must be paid at the first tryout.
- Sunday, October 23, 2016, from 12:00 to 2:00pm. Stratford Indoor Soccer Complex
- Wednesday, October 26, 2016, from 6:00 to 7:30pm. Stratford Indoor Soccer Complex
- You need all your gear you would use to play an outdoor ball game and water.
- All athletes will be tested for speed, accuracy, agility, hitting, bunting, power, ball sense and fielding. There will be at least 3 tryouts and further information as the process goes along.
- If an athlete is injured or unable to attend but is interested in trying out, please contact to make arrangements.
School Review Consultation Options:
- The public may provide input to the School Review online, in writing or in person. Following is the most up-to-date schedule of public meetings and opportunities for small group presentations.
- Stakeholders have two options:
- Individuals and small groups can book a 20-minute time slot on one of the dates listed from October 24 to 28. The exact locations will be determined shortly.
- Individuals and groups can also book a time to present at one of the six public meetings from November 1 to 10. These meetings will be held at the high school of each family under review.
- Individual and Small Group Presentations:
- Monday, October 24, 1-6, Charlottetown
- Tuesday, October 25, 1-6, Morell
- Wednesday, October 26, 1-6, Kinkora
- Thursday, October 27, 1-6, Westisle
- Friday, October 28, 12-5, Montague
- Public Meetings:
- Charlottetown Rural family of schools: Charlottetown Rural Senior High School: Tuesday, November 1, at 7:00pm
- Morell family of schools: Morell Regional High School: Wednesday, November 2, at 7:00pm
- Colonel Gray family of schools: Colonel Gray Senior High School: Thursday, November 3, at 7:00pm
- Kinkora family of schools: Kinkora Regional High School: Monday, November 7, at 7:00pm
- Westisle family of schools: Westisle Composite High School: Tuesday, November 8, at 7:00pm
- Montague family of schools: Montague Regional High School: Thursday, November 10, at 7:00pm
- You can book a time to present by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.