It’s a “D-C” Day!
Happy Birthday to Kirandeep Kaur.
Welcome to the following guest staff: Adam Clow for Jonathan Hayes, Jessica Campbell for Christie Beck, Korey Millar, Mark Gregory for Jennifer Murphy, Chloe Jenkins
- There will be Peer Helper block meetings today.
- Are you interested in learning how to sew? Would you like to have a chance to sew with your friends? There will be a meeting on Tuesday, October 25, at 12 sharp in Mrs. Hicken’s room (#133) for anyone who is interested in joining a sewing club to discuss times that would work for everyone.
- Students are reminded that food is not to leave the cafeteria, particularly in the back stairs in the gym area. Spilled food and beverages make it very difficult to keep the school clean. Let’s all do our part to help the custodians keep the building looking great!
School Library Week:
- Did You Know? There are libraries around the world where you can “check out” humans as a living book and listen to their stories. There are 150 such libraries around the world.
- Winner of the Guess the Number of Books in the Library was Zac O’Connor, with the closest guess of 10,444. There are actually 12,308 books in our school library.
- In honour of School Library week, a fun bookmark has been placed on your lockers. If you were missed, please see Mrs. Killeen.
- School Library Week continues. Fill out a ballot for a chance to win a free book or a gift card to Indigo. Ballots will be available all week outside the Library book drop. Draws take place daily.
- Students, use your student ID to sign out a library book and get a ballot to win free books from Scholastic Teen Readers. Draw will take place on Friday!
- All this week, please feel free to add your favourite author or book title to the “Wanted” poster on the Library door for all to see!
- There’s home room class book trivia today, with sheets handed out right after reading period. The winning home room will get treats on Thursday.
Next Week is Spirit Week:
- Monday, October 24: Monochromatic Monday (wear all the same colour)
- Tuesday, October 25: Flannel Tuesday
- Tuesday, October 25: Haunted Hallways from 7:00 – 9:00 pm. Admission is $2 or a food donation.
- Wednesday, October 26: Workout Wednesday
- Monday, October 31: Halloween Costume Day (Please no masks but feel free to use face paint to add to your costume.)
- Those who participate in Spirit Week will receive a ballot for a chance to win one of five candy bags!
- Halloween Candy-Grams: Send your friend or secret admirer a chocolate bar for $1. They will be sold in the ticket booth Monday to Wednesday and delivered on Halloween Day.
- Any students who are looking for volunteer opportunities, can see Ms. Victor in Student Services.
- October 20: St. Mary’s University will be here at lunch time for an information session for Grade 12’s.
- October 21: Crandall University will be here from 11:45am to 12:30pm. Be sure to stop by to see what they have to offer.
- October 24: The University of New Brunswick will be hosting a “Future Student Night” at 7:00pm at the Delta Prince Edward, Charlottetown and on Tuesday, October 25, at 7:00pm at Lakeview Loyalist, Summerside. Please arrive at 6:30pm for admission on the spot. RSVP onlone at unb.ca/recruitment
- December 1: Acadia University will be here at lunch time to offer admissions on the spot to Grade 12 students.
- SHAD is seeking high achieving students interested in STEAM (science, technology, engineering, arts and mathematics) with incredible intellect, drive, initiative and creativity, who are seeking an enrichment experience. The online application due date is November 28, by 11:59pm (in whatever time-zone you are in). The admission process is competitive. The application takes into consideration both academic results and extra-curricular participation. Please review the application requirements before starting the online application. Preparing some information beforehand is recommended (e.g. essays, identifying a reference, etc.). Review a PDF version of the application and the FAQs to learn about the different sections. Check it out online!
- Today: Men’s and Women’s Soccer at TOSH at 4:30 pm. Bus leaves at 1:45pm.
- Today: Men’s Volleyball host Colonel Gray at 5:00pm.
- Today: Women’s Volleyball Team Red hosts Evangeline at 4:30 pm, then Team Black at 6 pm.
- Today: Field Hockey playoffs start.
- October 20: Cross Country Provincials at Charlottetown Rural. Bus leaves at 11:00am.
- October 21: Women’s Volleyball Team Black plays at Francois Buote at 4:30 pm. Bus leaves at 3:45pm.
- October 21: Men’s and Women’s Volleyball play at Westisle in the Westisle Wolverine Classic. Schedule to follow. Students will be leaving early that day.
- Anyone who has action shots of our Viking Sport Teams, please make sure to email them to our yearbook team! (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Athletes Fees/Forms Missing: Students listed below are asked to submit your fees and/or forms ASAP!
- Golf: Maria Ferguson (form & fee), J.MacLeod (fee)
- Cross Country: Marya MacPherson (fee), Micah MacDonald (fee), Colby Whilt (fee), Sarah Christensen (form & fee), Donavan Bears (fee), Tanner Crant (fee).
- Men’s Volleyball: Marshal Ryan (fee), Dawson Lund (fee), John Campbell (fee), Brady Vincent (fee).
- Women’s Soccer: Lily Levesque (fee).
- Women’s Volleyball: Madi Jay (form & fee).
- Men’s Soccer: Tanner Crant (fee), Jonathan Vincent (fee), Braden Stewart (fee), Brandon Lund (fee), Zach Lund (fee), Nolan McKenna (fee), Milo Ryan (fee), Matt Quinn (fee), Donavan Bears (fee).
- Culinary Meal #3 is being served on Friday, October 21, at 11:50am in Room 136. Italian Feast consisting of freshly made Caesar Salad topped with homemade croutons, fresh-out-of- the-oven garlic bread topped with melted cheese, home-made Italian linguine with tomato meat sauce and fresh fruit salad with a freshly squeezed Limonata for a refreshment.
- Readers’ Circle will meet on Monday, October 24, at 12:05pm.
- SADD group will be organizing a fundraiser at noon on Tuesday, October 25. Please pay attention to the posters that are up around the school with more info!
- The next SADD meeting will be Tuesday, November 1, from 11:50 to 12:25pm. Bring your lunch!
- At 11:50 in Room #136 on November 4, prepare for Culinary Meal #4, an amazing meal of Himalayan Food, featuring a lemony Avocado Salad, with homemade Naan Bread, savoury Butter Chicken on a bed of Basmati Rice, a crispy Vegetarian Samosa. Dessert is sweet Yogurt Shrikhand with Mango Salad and paired with a traditional drink, Mint Lassi.
- Grad Clothing for the class of 2017 will be sold until Friday, October 21. Students can try on samples to determine appropriate sizes; visit Room 141 and see Mr. MacDonald.
- The Fitness Center is closed on Wednesday after school to all students except Power Lifters.
- Any student interested in playing board or card games should go to Room 84 at lunch time.
- Grad Activity Committee is collecting photos for the graduation ceremony slideshow. Send your candid photos to email@example.com or post to MRHS 2017 GRADS Facebook page.
- Choir runs Tuesdays from 3:30 to 5:00pm and every Wednesday at 7:30am.
- All students are required to pay a $20 Student Fee. Payments can be made at the front office.
- All Grade 12 students are asked to pay $40 to help defray costs of this year’s planned grad activities.
U18 Testing and Tryouts U18 Provincial Soccer Team:
- If you are interested but unable to attend the first session please contact Chris Halliwell by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or cell 416-580-8733 to let him know your interest. There will be a $20 tryout fee that must be paid at the first tryout.
- Sunday, October 23, 2016, from 12:00 to 2:00pm. Stratford Indoor Soccer Complex
- Wednesday, October 26, 2016, from 6:00 to 7:30pm. Stratford Indoor Soccer Complex
- You need all your gear you would use to play an outdoor ball game and water.
- All athletes will be tested for speed, accuracy, agility, hitting, bunting, power, ball sense and fielding. There will be at least 3 tryouts and further information as the process goes along.
- If an athlete is injured or unable to attend but is interested in trying out, please contact to make arrangements.