It’s a “C-D” Day!
Happy Birthday to Justin MacKay.
Welcome to the following guest staff: Michael Brothers for Sandra Hicken (pm), Nicole Butler for Chantelle Beaton, Garrett Toole for Seana Evans-Renaud, Jenny McCarron for Yvonne Higgins.
Montague’s Slam Poets travelled to Charlottetown for a competition at The Receiver on Victoria Row. Sixteen competitors from MRHS, Charlottetown Rural, and Colonel Grey brought their game faces and delivered some fantastic poetry matched by phenomenal performances. Montague’s Celina McGuigan and Rose Henbest delivered great work to a packed audience. Not only were their pieces gripping and moving, but their performances enhanced their work. Two Montague poets made it to the finals. Kyla White finished in third place and Lily Levesque finished in second after they each delivered new pieces of poetry to the judges and enthusiastic crowd in an epic 4-Way Poem-Off. Great work, Slam Poets.
- SEVEC students are asked to drop by Mr. Kelly’s room to pick up their Rise and Climb waivers.
- Trainor’s Science 421 class members are reminded to bring a calculator to the test today!
- Students are reminded that there are no classes tomorrow as teachers will be having Collaborative Team meetings all day on Friday.
Student Services Information:
- Applications are now available for the PEI Mutual Scholarship. Please see Ms. Toombs or Ms. Victor. Deadline is May 9.
- Hockey PEI Scholastic Award and the Jim Stirling Scholarship submissions are due May 13, 2016. Each are valued at $1000, more information available at Student Services.
- Tricia Martell will be here on May 18 to present to Grade 12 students about the PEI Student Loan program that is offered through the government. The presentation will be in the Library Conference Room at 11:45.
- There will be a short but important Triathlon meeting in Room 141 today at 12pm. If you cannot make the meeting, please see Mr. MacDonald at some point during the day.
- Ball Hockey Intramurals Today: JASONS play Prestige Worldwide
- Track and Field first practice is today from 3:15 to 4:00pm. Track Athletes who also play Rugby or Softball are expected to attend track practice before going to their rugby or softball practice.
- All Rugby Players – Monday is game day! All forms and fees are due before you can play in a game. Forms and fees are collected in the PE office at lunch time. Fee is $35 if this is your first sport, $30 if you’ve already paid an athletic fee this year.
- Badminton practice after school today.
- Women’s Rugby practice today from 3:30 to 5:00pm.
- MRHS Juice Box Co-Athletes of the Week: Kirsten Whiteway and Colton Morris, Bethany MacKenzie and Jake banks, each qualified for the PEISAA Provincial Badminton Championships as first and second seeds respectively.
- MRHS Juice Box Athlete of the Week: Isaac Arbuckle. Isaac was never caught out of position, did not miss a tackle, and ran aggressively with the ball at the Rothesay RugbyFest tournament this past weekend. Isaac was the team’s MVP for the tournament.
- Badminton players who did not advance to provincials must return their eye wear to the PE office this week.
- Culinary’s next meal on May 5 is a “Summer Picnic” which includes a garden salad made with fresh greens, tomatoes, cucumber, onions, radishes, celery and carrots with a home-made dressing, potato salad made with dill and eggs, oven baked ribs, slow cooked in a brown sugar sauce, served with dinner rolls. For dessert, Nanaimo bars and a strawberry lemonade to quench your thirst.
- Triathlon: If you are training with Ms. Evans-Renaud and Mr. MacDonald, swimming will be at 7:00am at the AFC on Tuesday and Thursday mornings. Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings will be in the Fitness Centre at MRHS. An athletic fee of $20 must be paid to Ms. Evans-Renaud or Mr. MacDonald to help defray the cost of the pool and registration. Team meeting every Thursday at 12:00 noon in Room 141.
- Mindful Mondays: helping teens de-stress. Come and see Ms. Victor and Ms. Toombs in the Library Conference room to learn about how to put some strategies in place to deal with stress. Meeting on Mondays in the Library Conference room from 12:00 to 12:30pm.
- Grads, please get started on your Viking Pin applications! They are May 9! Obtaining signatures can be time consuming. Pick up a copy in the library!
- Friday Song Requests can be submitted to Ms. Nabuurs or Haley MacLeod.
- Breakfast Club is up and running, and is open for all students.
- The Fitness Centre is open for students Monday to Thursday from 3:15 to 4:00 pm.
- Anyone who would like to have a free peer tutor to help with his or her subjects, see Ms. Christie Beck.
- All students are required to pay a $20 Student Fee each year. Payment should be made to the office.