It’s a “D-C” Day!
Happy Birthday to Grace Walsh who will be celebrating her birthday tomorrow.
Welcome to the following guest staff: Adam Clow for Sandra Hicken, Kirk White for Ronnie Munn (am), Michael Brothers for Kirk White (pm), Tim Murphy for Natasha Nabuurs (am), Andrea Crane for Gail Johnston.
- The Culinary class is serving a meal today. Visit Room 136 at 11:50 to pick up your order!
- Today is the last day to contribute to the Clothing Drive. The home room with the most clothing will win a pizza party!
- STRIVE meeting today at 11:45 in the Library Conference Room. New members are welcome.
- Spring Fling Week finishes today with Tie Dye Friday.
- Social Justice and Diversity Club meets today at 11:50 in Library Seminar Room D. (Note change or location.) Help make a positive difference in society!
- MRHS is pleased to be hosting the PEISAA Provincial Wrestling Championships this evening at 5:00pm and Saturday, starting at 10:00am.
- The Envirothon team is having a playoff hockey pool to help support their trip to Nationals this summer. It is $10.00 to enter which gives you a chance to win $200. Sheets will be available at lunch or see Mr. Killeen or one of the Envirothon students. Deadline to enter is next Tuesday.
Student Services Information:
- shOUT Conference: On Saturday, April 23, 2016, PRIDE PEI and the UPEI Rainbow Alliance, will be hosting shOUT 16, the third annual GSA (Gender and Sexuality Alliance) conference for junior and senior high school students and staff. There will be a variety of presenters and organizations on display, including the Youth Project, and PRIDE PEI. There is no cost to attend this event. Lunch is provided free of charge. Individuals are asked to register before April 21, 2016 at http://peigsaconference.eventbrite.ca or see Ms. Toombs in Student Services.
- The Saint Dunstan Scholarship is a $5,000 renewable scholarship available to graduating PEI high school students who will be attending UPEI. Applicants must have obtained a minimum grade average of 85 % over their final two years of high school. SDU will offer four Saint Dunstan Scholarships per year. Application deadline is April 15 of the current academic year.
- The SDU Bursaries have a value of $600 and are available to PEI students who are attending a post-secondary institution either on or off PEI. Bursaries are renewable for a maximum of three additional years. Application deadline is August 31of the current academic year. A maximum of two hundred bursaries will be awarded.
- The SDU Board of Governor’s Award is available tograduating high school students in good academic standing who have demonstrated ability in citizenship, leadership and service to community, church and school. This award is a non- renewable $1,000 award to students entering a post-secondary institution. A minimum of one award per PEI High School will be given. Application deadline is May 1 of the current academic year.
- Students can see Ms. Victor or Ms. Toombs or go onto the website at saintdunstansuniversity.ca for information regarding any of the Saint Dunstan opportunities.
- Student Services has received updated information on the 4H Scholarships. Please see Ms. Toombs or Ms. Victor for information.
- Grade 12’s who are eligible for the PEI Fisherman Association Award are reminded that the deadline is April 15, 2016.
- Hockey PEI Scholastic Award and the Jim Stirling Scholarship. Each scholarship is valued at $1000. Deadline for submission is Friday, May 13, 2016. Applications can also be found on their website at: http://hockeypei.com or at Student Services.
- Important Badminton meeting at 11:43 in the PE hallway. All players must Bring your forms and fees if you have them.
- Anyone interested in playing Men’s Softball for MRHS this spring should now be signed up in the PE hallway.
- Women’s Rugby practice Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday next week from 3:30 to 5:00 pm. Remember that forms and fees can be handed in at the PE office any day at lunch time.
- Mouth guards are for sale for $5 in the PE office every day at lunch time.
- Men’s Rugby team tournament money is due Friday, April15. Money can be paid in the PE office any day at lunch. Amounts owing will be posted in the PE hallway.
- Ball Hockey Intramurals next week: KCK Girls v Allstars on Tuesday, JASONS v Georgetown Eagles on Thursday.
- There will be a meeting for anyone thinking of running for Student Council President or Executive in Room 139 at 12:10 on Monday, April 11.
- The SEARS Scholarships for the Summer Acting Conservatory offers young actors from the ages of 12 to 18 the opportunity to train with professional actors during the summer months. Classes may include improvisation, scene study, dance, Shakespeare, voice and speech, monologues, stage combat, etc. SEARS Canada has made it possible for up to five students in Grades 10 or 11 on the Island to attend a two week acting camp (July 25 to August 5) for free. Students need to simply send in a resume and a one-page essay titled “I love theatre because …” Submission deadline is April 15. Please email applications (resume, one page essay, full contact details) to: Kate Martin at email@example.com.
- Triathlon: If you are training with Ms. Evans-Renaud and Mr. MacDonald, swimming will be at 7:00am at the AFC on Tuesday and Thursday mornings. Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings will be in the Fitness Centre at MRHS. An athletic fee of $20 must be paid to Ms. Evans-Renaud or Mr. MacDonald to help defray the cost of the pool and registration. Team will be meeting every Thursday at 12:00 noon in Room 141.
- Mindful Mondays: helping teens de-stress. Come and see Ms. Victor and Ms. Toombs in the Library Conference room to learn about how to put some strategies in place to deal with stress. Meeting on Mondays in the Library Conference room from 12:00 to 12:30pm.
- Wrestling practice goes on Mondays from 3:30 to 5:30pm and Wednesdays from 4:00 to 6:00pm.
- The library monitors have some puzzles set up in the library. They will rotate the puzzles every few weeks, with increasing difficulty. Stop by before school or at lunch and work on it by yourself or with a friend.
- Teachers, please remember book inventory is due on April 11 to Mrs. Killeen.
- Grads, please get started on your Viking Pin applications! They are due soonish! Obtaining signatures can be time consuming. Pick up a copy in the library!
- Friday Song Requests can be submitted to Ms. Nabuurs or Haley MacLeod.
- Breakfast Club is up and running, and is open for all students.
- The Fitness Centre is open for students Monday to Thursday from 3:15 to 4:00 pm.
- Anyone who would like to have a free peer tutor to help with his or her subjects, see Ms. Christie Beck.
- All students are required to pay a $20 Student Fee each year. Payment should be made to the office.