It’s a “D-C” Day!
Happy Birthday to Shayla Martin.
Welcome to the following guest staff: Morgan Hennessey for Karen Malone (pm), Dean Lackie for Jillian Power, Michael Brothers for Jennifer Victor (pm), Miranda MacLeod for Chantelle Beaton.
Congratulations to both competitors in the cook-off for Skills Canada cooking. It was very, very close – either competitor would represent us well, but the winner is Olivia Frankfurt. She will be cooking at three-course meal at the Culinary Institute next Monday, March 7. Well done!
- The Slam Poetry group will meet today at 12:00 in Room 211.
- On May 6 to 8, MRHS will be sending a delegation of students to the John Peter’s Humphrey Model United Nations Conference at St. Thomas University. If you have an interest in politics, international affairs and public speaking, see Mr. Lea before Friday, March 4, for application details.
- New books have arrived! Mrs. Killeen has catalogued about 3 dozen new reads. Visit the Library for something new!
- Trivia for Tacos: In celebration of workplace health and safety, students are invited to participate in trivia regarding “OHS”. Trivia will take place from 12:00 to 12:25 in Room 229 (Ms. McLane’s room). Winner gets a $20 gift card to Taco Boyz.
- Men’s Rugby practice this week on Tuesday (today), Wednesday, and Thursday from 3:30 to 5:00pm.
- Women’s Rugby fitness training after school on Wednesday. New members are welcome.
- All Power Lifters who are competing at provincials on March 15 are expected to be training at least twice a week in the fitness centre. Team practices will be held on March 2 and March 8 after school. All lifters competing at provincials are expected to attend.
- Intramural Ball Hockey: Sign-up sheets are in the gym hallway. Teams are due on Friday, March 4. Four on four action; teams can be up to 12 players and a goalie. No mixed teams.
- The Women’s Basketball team defeated KISH in a 47-46 nail biter in the AAA women’s quarterfinal on Friday night. The women take on top-seeded Colonel Gray in the semifinals on Wednesday at 2:00pm at UPEI.
- MRHS Badminton team sign-up sheets are posted in the PE hallway. Athletes must sign up by this Friday!
- Ms McLane is taking names of interested Grade 12 students who would like to be yearbook co-editors next year. Please see Ms McLane by Wednesday, March 2, if you would like to be considered.
- There will be an Environmental club meeting on Wednesday at 12:00 pm in Room 131, to prepare for our visit from the Boy’s and Girl’s Club. New members are welcome.
- Oulton College from Moncton NB will be here on March 8 at lunch time for any students interested in information. They will be set up in the lobby.
- Grads: On March 9, Grads will be travelling to Brookvale Ski Park for an afternoon and evening of skiing. Cost is $20, which includes all rental equipment, lift ticket, and transportation. Sign up all week at lunch. Busses will be leaving from the school at 12:00 pm on the March 9 and returning to the school at approximately 7:00 pm. ALL STUDENTS MUST TRAVEL BY BUS. Students must also have a signed release form to attend the activity.
- Leadership students, Jess and Amy, have created a “Guess Who’s Reading” contest in the library.
Visit the library to guess the 12 staff and their favourite books. Contest begins today and closes March 10.
All winners will be put in a draw for a gift card from Chapters Indigo! See Mrs. Killeen for more details.
- Grads: If there is enough interest, there will be a second order for Grad Clothing. There needs to be a minimum of 12 items for the order. You must pay in advance. Orders will be accepted until Friday, March 4. The only items available for this order are t-shirts, dry fits, hoodies and crewnecks. Anyone interested should see Mr. MacDonald, Mr. Killeen or Ms. McInnis.
- Mindful Mondays: helping teens de-stress. Come and see Ms.Victor and Ms.Toombs in the Library Conference room to learn about how to put some strategies in place to deal with stress. Meeting on Mondays in the Library Conference room from 12:00 to 12:30pm.
- The library monitors have some puzzles set up in the library. They will rotate the puzzles every few weeks, with increasing difficulty. Stop by before school or at lunch and work on it by yourself or with a friend.
- Want to win a Galaxy Tablet? Visit scholastic.ca/contests for complete details or contact Mrs. Killeen for more information. Deadline for entries is March 11, 2016.
- Triathlon: If you are training with Ms. Evans-Renaud and Mr. MacDonald, swimming will be at 7:00am at the AFC on Tuesday and Thursday mornings. Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings will be in the Fitness Centre at MRHS. An athletic fee of $10 must be paid to Ms. Evans-Renaud or Mr. MacDonald to help defray the cost of the pool.
- Wrestling practice goes on Mondays from 3:30 to 5:30pm and Wednesdays from 4:00 to 6:00pm.
- Ordering Your Yearbook: 2015-16 Yearbooks are on sale until February 26. Don’t be disappointed.
- Friday Song Requests can be submitted to Ms. Nabuurs or Haley MacLeod.
- Breakfast Club is up and running, and is open for all students.
- The Fitness Centre is open for students Monday to Thursday from 3:15 to 4:00 pm.
- Anyone who would like to have a free peer tutor to help with his or her subjects, see Ms. Christie Beck.
- All students are required to pay a $20 Student Fee each year. Payment should be made to the office.