It’s a “D-C” Day!
Welcome to the following guest staff: Michael Brothers for Jillian Power (pm), Adam Clow for Angela Killeen.
- There will be a very important SEVEC meeting in Mr. Kelly’s room (226) at 12pm today. All students are asked to bring a piece of photo identification and their health cards.
- Emma Prosper, Kathleen Chandler, Ella Kingdon, Charity Shepard, and Stephen Chandler are asked to see Glenda McInnis some time over the next week.
- Culinary class is serving a meal today. Don’t forget to pick up your meal in Room 136 at 11:50am.
- Today is the last day to participate in Poetry in Voice. Students must present in room 211 at lunch today if they wish to be considered. The winner will be announced in the afternoon! Thank you and good luck to all who were involved!
- In celebration of Occupational Health and Safety, there is an #OHS4MRHS photobooth in Cafeteria all day today during breaks, so take some time out of your day and lunchtime to step by and snap a few pictures in personal protection equipment with your friends! Remember to hashtag (#) it with the tag #OHS4MRHS on any social media site or send it to Emily Fraser or Maria Tarenta and support health and safety in the workplace for MRHS!
- There is a sign-up sheet outside Mr. Kelly’s classroom (226) for any male students interested in playing for the school’s high school hockey team. Sign-ups are open to male students in grade 10-12 who play Midget A or AA hockey.
- Men’s Rugby: Practice today from 3:30 to 5:00 pm.
- All gymnastics athletes MUST hand their consent forms in to Ms. Nabuurs this week in order to be able to compete at provincials this weekend.
- Mindful Mondays-helping teens de-stress. Come and see Ms.Victor and Ms.Toombs in the Library Conference room to learn about how to put some strategies in place to deal with stress. Mondays in the Library Conference room from 12-12:30.
- UNB will be here on Tuesday, February 23, in the Library to answer any questions students may have about applications, residence, and scholarships. Please let Ms.Victor know if you plan to attend the event.
- Acadia University will be hosting a Parent and Student Night at the Holiday Inn in Charlottetown on Tuesday, February 23, 2016 at 7pm. Prospective students and applicants have been notified of this event. At this event they will be doing admission on the spot for students who have not yet applied, as well as answering any questions about scholarships, residence, and next steps.
- Acadia University will be back for a winter visit on February 24 from 11:45 to 12:30 in the Library Conference Room. There will be on the spot admissions. This visit will be more focused on scholarships and residences.
- Pink Shirt Day is Wednesday, February 24. We encourage everyone to practice kindness, and wear a pink shirt, button, or pin to symbolize that you do not tolerate bull
- Tacos in a Bag – The Hospitality and Tourism class is serving Taco’s in a Bag on Thursday, February 25, at lunch in the foods room (#136). Cost is $5/bag which will include a bag of Doritos covered in your choice of taco toppings and a small glass of juice. All proceeds will go towards helping the students fund-raise for a tip to tip tour of PEI.
- The Canadian Association of Principals are proud to sponsor the CAP Student Leadership Award. Criteria for Selection (100 points) includes Leadership in School Activities (1 to max. of 25 points), Leadership in the Community (1 to max. of 25 points), Academic Achievement (1 to max. of 20 points), Essay (1 to max. of 20 points), and Recognition, Awards, Honours and Scholarships (1 to max. of 10 points). Award amount is $250.00. Students should see Ms. Victor for an application. The deadline is March 1, 2016.
- Oulton College from Moncton NB will be here on March 8 at lunch time for any students interested in information. They will be set up in the lobby.
- Want to win a Galaxy Tablet? Visit scholastic.ca/contests for complete details or contact Mrs. Killeen for more information. Deadline for entries is March 11, 2016.
- Triathlon: If you are training with Ms. Evans-Renaud and Mr. MacDonald, swimming will be at 7:00am at the AFC on Tuesday and Thursday mornings. Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings will be in the Fitness Centre at MRHS. An athletic fee of $10 must be paid to Ms. Evans-Renaud or Mr. MacDonald to help defray the cost of the pool.
- Wrestling practice goes until 6:00pm on Wednesdays from now on.
- Ordering Your Yearbook: 2015-16 Yearbooks are on sale until February 26. Don’t be disappointed.
- Friday Song Requests can be submitted to Ms. Nabuurs or Haley MacLeod.
- Breakfast Club is up and running, and is open for all students.
- The Fitness Centre is open for students Monday to Thursday from 3:15 to 4:00 pm.
- Anyone who would like to have a free peer tutor to help with his or her subjects, see Ms. Christie Beck.
- All students are required to pay a $20 Student Fee each year. Payment should be made to the office.
Public Service Announcements:
- Benefit Concert: Floyd Jenkins, a former MRHS bus driver, has to travel to Nova Scotia for further testing and procedures to deal with health issues regarding his heart. There is a benefit concert scheduled for February 21, 2016, starting at 2:00pm at the King’s Playhouse in Georgetown. Any funds raised will be used to assist with the cost of travel, accommodations, medications, etc. Your help would be appreciated.
- Spring League Volleyball teams for girls at Montague Regional High School starting on Monday, February 22 at 7pm. Plans are to have a Grade 7-9 team and a Grade 10-12 team. If there are any questions, contact John Munro at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 659-7200.
- Teacher of the Month: The school year is in full swing and The New HOT 105.5 is searching for the HOT Teacher of the Month. We want students and parents across PEI to nominate great teachers so they can recognize them with prizes from sponsors like Vogue Optical and a pizza party for their class. For more information, contact Laura Woodworth at facebook.com/laura.woodworth