It’s a “C-D” Day!
Happy Birthday to Hannah Glover and Kaylea MacCallum.
Welcome to the following guest staff: Dean Lackie for Lianne Garland, Adam Clow for Jennifer Murphy.
Calling all would-be chefs or want-to-be’s! If you are interested in competing in the PEI Provincial skills Canada cooking competition, please tell Ms. Anderson as soon as possible. If she has more than one interested, it will be necessary to have a cook-off which will be scheduled at noontime next week. Ms. A will take the first six names for the cook-off. Having taken Foods 421 is an asset. The Skills Canada competition is Tuesday, March 8. The meal the winner will be preparing for the judges is: fish chowder, roasted pork tenderloin, black peppercorn sauce, gratin dauphinois, sautéed spinach, maple glazed carrots batonnet, carrot cake with frosting and a fresh fruit garnish.
- Holland College reps will visit today at 11:45am. They will have one on one meetings with students who would like to meet individually with representatives from Holland College. They will assist with applications, scholarships, as well any other questions students may have. Please sign up at Student Services for a time.
- Love Songs Concert Tonight: MRHS Disney Choir, Here Comes Treble, and the Small Ensemble will present this annual concert, beginning at 7:00 in the cafeteria. Admission costs are $6 for adults and $5 for students and seniors. There will be a bake sale and cake auction. All are welcome to attend!
- Culinary class is serving a meal on Friday. Reserve your meal at the ticket booth during lunch break.
- How would you like to win a trip to Toronto April 19-22? If you participate in the school poetry recitation contest you could be entered to win! Choose two poems from www.poetryinvoice.com and memorize one. Come to Mr. Lea’s room 211 today or tomorrow at lunch to present them. If you have any questions please see Ms. Burrows, Mr. Lea, or last year’s school champion Rose Henbest.
- Congratulations to the Women’s Basketball team who dominated the court last night with a 15 point win over Souris ‘AA’ women! This win puts the women’s record to 16-4! Keep up the great work!
- There is a sign-up sheet outside Mr. Kelly’s classroom (226) for any male students interested in playing for the school’s high school hockey team. Sign-ups are open to male students in grade 10-12 who play Midget A or AA hockey.
- Men’s Rugby: Practice today and Friday from 3:30 to 5:00 pm.
- Gymnastics practice today for all athletes competing at Provincials this weekend in Kensington. All gymnastics athletes MUST hand their consent forms in to Ms. Nabuurs this week in order to be able to compete at provincials this weekend.
- There will be a very important SEVEC meeting in Mr. Kelly’s room (226) at 12pm this Friday, February 19. All students are asked to bring a piece of photo identification and their health cards.
- Acadia University will be back for a winter visit on February 24 from 11:45 to 12:30 in the Library Conference Room. There will be on the spot admissions. This visit will be more focused on scholarships and residences.
- Tacos in a Bag– The Hospitality and Tourism class is serving Taco’s in a Bag on Thursday, February 25, at lunch in the foods room (#136). Cost is $5/bag which will include a bag of Doritoes covered in your choice of taco toppings and a small glass of juice. All proceeds will go towards helping the students fund-raise for a tip to tip tour of PEI.
- The Canadian Association of Principals are proud to sponsor the CAP Student Leadership Award. Criteria for Selection (100 points) includes Leadership in School Activities (1 to max. of 25 points), Leadership in the Community (1 to max. of 25 points), Academic Achievement (1 to max. of 20 points), Essay (1 to max. of 20 points), and Recognition, Awards, Honours and Scholarships (1 to max. of 10 points). Award amount is $250.00. Students should see Ms. Victor for an application. The deadline is March 1, 2016.
- Oulton College from Moncton NB will be here on March 8 at lunch time for any students interested in information. They will be set up in the lobby.
- The first Culinary meal of the new semester is this Friday, February 19, in Room 136 at 11:50am. The menu includes Caesar salad with garlicy homemade croutons and dressing, warm, out-of-the-oven Focaccia bread, chicken lasagna made with fresh pasta rolled in our kitchen, slowly simmered tomato sauce and melted ricotta cheese. Dessert is a hazelnut gelato (an Italian ice cream) and the beverage is limonada (a kind of citrus slushie) which will cleanse your palate. Sign up in the ticket booth from 12 noon to 12:20 Wednesday to Thursday. Cost is $8 – a very good deal!
- Want to win a Galaxy Tablet? Visit scholastic.ca/contests for complete details or contact Mrs. Killeen for more information. Deadline for entries is March 11, 2016.
- Triathlon: If you are training with Ms. Evans-Renaud and Mr. MacDonald, swimming will be at 7:00am at the AFC on Tuesday and Thursday mornings. Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings will be in the Fitness Centre at MRHS. An athletic fee of $10 must be paid to Ms. Evans-Renaud or Mr. MacDonald to help defray the cost of the pool.
- Wrestling practice goes until 6:00pm on Wednesdays from now on.
- Ordering Your Yearbook: 2015-16 Yearbooks are on sale until February 26. Don’t be disappointed.
- Friday Song Requests can be submitted to Ms. Nabuurs.
- Breakfast Club is up and running, and is open for all students.
- The Fitness Centre is open for students Monday to Thursday from 3:15 to 4:00 pm.
- Anyone who would like to have a free peer tutor to help with his or her subjects, see Ms. Christie Beck.
- All students are required to pay a $20 Student Fee each year. Payment should be made to the office.
Public Service Announcements:
- Benefit Concert: Floyd Jenkins, a former MRHS bus driver, has to travel to Nova Scotia for further testing and procedures to deal with health issues regarding his heart. There is a benefit concert scheduled for February 21, 2016, starting at 2:00pm at the King’s Playhouse in Georgetown. Any funds raised will be used to assist with the cost of travel, accommodations, medications, etc. Your help would be appreciated.
- Spring League Volleyball teams for girls at Montague Regional High School starting on Monday, February 22 at 7pm. Plans are to have a Grade 7-9 team and a Grade 10-12 team. If there are any questions, contact John Munro at email@example.com, or call 659-7200.
- Teacher of the Month: The school year is in full swing and The New HOT 105.5 is searching for the HOT Teacher of the Month. We want students and parents across PEI to nominate great teachers so they can recognize them with prizes from sponsors like Vogue Optical and a pizza party for their class. For more information, contact Laura Woodworth at facebook.com/laura.woodworth