It’s a “C-D” Day!
Happy Belated Birthday to the following students who celebrated their birthdays over this past weekend: Ben Gallant, Lily Levesque, Sarah Christensen, Paige Miller, Cameron MacLennan, Nolan McCarthy, and Emily Sibbick.
Welcome to the following guest staff: Michael Brothers for Christie Beck (pm), Adam Clow for Sandra Hicken (pm), and Dean Lackie for Michael Stewart.
• Grad Activity Committee meeting today at 12:00 on Room 119.
• The Slam Poetry group will reignite today at 12:00 noon in Room 211.
• Match Makers are on sale for $2 in the ticket booth. Get yours today!!
• This week all across PEI is Family Violence Prevention Week. It celebrates the important role that family, friends, neighbours, and co-workers have to play in helping to prevent family violence. All students and staff are encouraged to wear purple on Wednesday, February 17, and show your support by posting your photos at Facebook.com/govpe or sending them to firstname.lastname@example.org for posting on the online gallery of Family Violence Prevention Week. A variety of community events will be held across the Island, for more info see: http://stopfamilyviolence.pe.ca/
• How would you like to win a trip to Toronto April 19-22? If you participate in the school poetry recitation contest you could be entered to win! Choose two poems from http://www.poetryinvoice.com and memorize one. Come to Mr. Lea’s room 211 tomorrow, Thursday or Friday at lunch to present them. If you have any questions please see Ms. Burrows, Mr. Lea, or last year’s school champion Rose Henbest.
• The Basketball teams will depart for TOSH at 3:30 pm today.
• Men’s Rugby: Practice rescheduled to Thursday and Friday from 3:30 to 5:00 pm.
• Gymnastics practice today and Thursday for all athletes competing at Provincials this weekend. Provincials are Saturday in Kensington. All gymnastics athletes MUST hand their consent forms in to Ms. Nabuurs this week in order to be able to compete at provincials this weekend.
• Those interested in a Badminton PEI tournament at Colonel Gray on February 21 please see Ms. Nabuurs today for details.
• Parents and students are invited to attend an information night on Wednesday 17, 2016, at 6:30pm in the Montague Regional High School Cafeteria. Holland College and UPEI will be doing a short presentation and will be available for questions. Important graduation information will be shared such as grad activities, student awards, graduation and prom. Parents of students in lower grades are welcome to attend.
• Holland College visit is now scheduled for February 18 at 11:45am. They will have one on one meetings with students who would like to meet individually with representatives from Holland College. They will assist with applications, scholarships, as well any other questions students may have. Please sign up at Student Services for a time.
• On Thursday, February 18, the MRHS Disney Choir, Here Comes Treble, and the Small Ensemble present the annual Love Songs Concert. The concert begins at 7:00 in the cafeteria and costs $6 for adults and $5 for students and seniors. There will be a bake sale and cake auction. All are welcome to attend!
• Acadia University will be back for a winter visit on February 24 from 11:45 to 12:30 in the Library Conference Room. There will be on the spot admissions. This visit will be more focused on scholarships and residences.
• The Canadian Association of Principals are proud to sponsor the CAP Student Leadership Award. Criteria for Selection (100 points) includes Leadership in School Activities (1 to max. of 25 points), Leadership in the Community (1 to max. of 25 points), Academic Achievement (1 to max. of 20 points), Essay (1 to max. of 20 points), and Recognition, Awards, Honours and Scholarships (1 to max. of 10 points). Award amount is $250.00. Students should see Ms. Victor for an application. The deadline is March 1, 2016.
• Only 100 days until camping season!
• We have a few extra days to sign the journal for Mary Ellen. If you haven’t done so, please feel free to stop by Learning Centre B during breaks or at lunch to sign it. We know Mary Ellen’s family will appreciate reading your thoughts, comments and stories.
• Want to win a Galaxy Tablet? Visit scholastic.ca/contests for complete details or contact Mrs. Killeen for more information. Deadline for entries is March 11, 2016.
• Triathlon: If you are training with Ms. Evans-Renaud and Mr. MacDonald, swimming will be at 7:00am at the AFC on Tuesday and Thursday mornings. Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings will be in the Fitness Centre at MRHS. An athletic fee of $10 must be paid to Ms. Evans-Renaud or Mr. MacDonald to help defray the cost of the pool.
• Wrestling practice goes until 6:00pm on Wednesdays from now on.
• Ordering Your Yearbook: 2015-16 Yearbooks are on sale until February 26. Don’t be disappointed.
• Friday Song Requests can be submitted to Ms. Nabuurs.
• Breakfast Club is up and running, and is open for all students.
• The Fitness Centre is open for students Monday to Thursday from 3:15 to 4:00 pm.
• Anyone who would like to have a free peer tutor to help with his or her subjects, see Ms. Christie Beck.
• All students are required to pay a $20 Student Fee each year. Payment should be made to the office.
Public Service Announcements:
• Benefit Concert: Floyd Jenkins, a former MRHS bus driver, has to travel to Nova Scotia for further testing and procedures to deal with health issues regarding his heart. There is a benefit concert scheduled for February 21, 2016, starting at 2:00pm at the King’s Playhouse in Georgetown. Any funds raised will be used to assist with the cost of travel, accommodations, medications, etc. Your help would be appreciated.
• Spring League Volleyball teams for girls at Montague Regional High School starting on Monday, February 22 at 7pm. Plans are to have a Grade 7-9 team and a Grade 10-12 team. If there are any questions, contact John Munro at email@example.com, or call 659-7200.