It’s a “D-C” Day!
Welcome to the following guest staff: Donna White for Christie Beck, Kelsey Lowther for Colin Clarke, Adam Clow for Jillian Power, Mark Gregory for Angela Killeen, Denise McGillivray for Pauline Kelly.
- Found: A silver necklace with a skeleton key pendant. Check at the office if this is yours.
- Student Council would like to thank the MRHS Staff and Students for their generosity. We collected $500 in the spare change collection for Callum Thomson last week!
- Student Council members are reminded that Facebook Auction Items are due this Friday, January 22.
Ways to Take a Break:
- Call a friend.
- Meander around town.
- Buy some flowers.
- Find a relaxing scent.
- View some art.
- Gymnastics practices on Mondays and Wednesdays from 3:00-4:30 pm at Montague Consolidated School. Any high school students who are interested should attend.
- MRHS Juice Box Female Athlete of the Week: Grace Boyce. Grace played a big part in the Women’s Basketball team winning the Islander Invitational Basketball Tournament. Her rebounding and defensive play were exceptional in all three games.
- MRHS Juice Box Male Athlete of the Week: David Thompson – Grade 12 Forward. David continues to help lead the Vikings on and off the court. This past weekend David was among the team leaders in scoring, rebounding and was counted on to defend the opponents top players in the Islander Invitational Tournaments. David was selected as the Player of the Game twice.
- STRIVE meeting is being held tomorrow (Thursday) at 11:45, please bring along your folder. New members are welcome. See Ms.Victor for more information.
- Indigo Teen Book Club (465 University Avenue, Charlottetown) is scheduled for Thursday, January 21, at 7:00, discussing the following books: A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness, I’ll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson, and Snow Like Ashes by Sara Raasch.
- Schulich Leaders Scholarship Applications are available at Student Services. The deadline for the application is January 25, 2016.
- Terry Fox Scholarship Deadline is February 1, 2016. Students should see Ms.Victor if they have any questions.
- Dalhousie University will be having an information session on February 3 at 7:00pm at Rodd Charlottetown, 75 Kent St. Please go to dal/connect.ca for more details and to register.
- Saint FX will hold an information session on Wednesday, February 10, 2016, from 6:30 to 8:00pm at Hotel On Pownal (146 Pownal St, Charlottetown). Please RSVP to Erin Draper at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Acadia University will be back for a winter visit on February 24 from 11:45 to 12:30 in the Library Conference Room. There will be on the spot admissions. This visit will be more focused on scholarships and residences.
- The Canadian Association of Principals are proud to sponsor the CAP Student Leadership Award. Criteria for Selection (100 points) includes Leadership in School Activities (1 to max. of 25 points), Leadership in the Community (1 to max. of 25 points), Academic Achievement (1 to max. of 20 points), Essay (1 to max. of 20 points), and Recognition, Awards, Honours and Scholarships (1 to max. of 10 points). Award amount is $250.00. Students should see Ms. Victor for an application. The deadline is March 1, 2016.
High School Exam School Closures/Delays Information (Exams start next Monday!):
- Secondary Mathematics Assessment – Monday, January 25, 2016
- In the event of an Island wide school closure on Monday, January 25, the mathematics assessment will occur on the next day, Tuesday, January 26, at the same time. There will be regular classes for all other students on January 26.All other exams will move ahead one day.
- If one family of schools is closed for the day on Monday, January 25, the assessment in all schools will occur on the next day, Tuesday, January 26, at the same time. There will be regular classes for all other students on January 26.All other exams will move ahead one day.
- If schools or families of schools are delayed an hour, the assessment in those schools will begin an hour later.
- It is important that all schools write the Mathematics Assessment on the same day.
- Did you see the new schedule for exams? Grade 11 Math Assessment is on Monday, Jan.25; Exams for A Block classes are on Tuesday, Jan.26; B Block classes on Wednesday, Jan.27; C Block classes on Thursday, Jan.28; and D Block classes on Friday, Jan.29. Exams are written in the morning, leaving the afternoon open for presentations/seminars/oral and practical exams, make-up exams, or study time.
- Triathlon: If you are training with Ms. Evans-Renaud and Mr. MacDonald, swimming will be at 7:00am at the AFC on Tuesday and Thursday mornings. Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings will be in the Fitness Centre at MRHS. An athletic fee of $10 must be paid to Ms. Evans-Renaud or Mr. MacDonald to help defray the cost of the pool.
- Ordering Your Yearbook: 2015-16 Yearbooks are on sale until February 26. Don’t be disappointed.
- Friday Song Requests can be submitted to Christina Howlett or Ms. Nabuurs.
- Breakfast Club is up and running, and is open for all students.
- The Fitness Centre is open for students Monday to Thursday from 3:15 to 4:00 pm.
- Anyone who would like to have a free peer tutor to help with his or her subjects, see Ms. Christie Beck.
- All students are required to pay a $20 Student Fee each year. Payment should be made to the office.