It’s a “D-C” Day!
Happy Birthday to John Ferguson. Happy Belated Birthday to Christina Howlett, Jayde Maynard and Emma Stewart who celebrated yesterday on the storm day.
Welcome to the following guest staff: Taylor Fitzgerald for Matt Kelly (pm), Adam Clow for Jillian Power, Robin Dickieson for Earl Campbell, Melissa Livingstone for Dawn MacIsaac (am), Donna White for Natasha Nabuurs, Mark Gregory for Chantelle Beaton, Jenny McCarron for Yvonne Higgins, Wanda Cheverie for Pauline Kelly.
“Tips for Timbits” Each day for the rest of the week, there will be a tip for Occupational Health and Safety included in the announcements. After hearing the tip, write it on a piece of paper, along with your name and grade; then place your entry in the timbit box located in the office. On Monday, January 18, the OHS leaders will draw a name with a top for the prize of a box of timbits.
- Tip #2: Wear proper footwear for the task you are doing. For example: Steel toe boots on a construction site.
- Tip #3: Wear protective eyewear in the workplace to avoid impairing your vision or eye injuries!
- Kenny Richard and Harrison MacKay are asked to see Mrs. Killeen in the library please.
- Callum Thomson is an eight year old Belfast student who has been recently diagnosed with Leukemia. He is currently undergoing treatment in Halifax. Student Council will be collecting spare change during lunch break this week to help out this family. Thanks in advance for your donations!
- MRHS Juice Box Female Athlete of the Week: Rebecca Martens. Rebecca played well at the confederation city classic was player of the game. She played very well defensively in the tournament.
- MRHS Juice Box Male Athlete of the Week: Kyle Parlee – Grade 12 guard. Kyle led the basketball team in scoring and rebounding last week (32pts 16rebs) as the Vikings defeated Charlottetown Rural #2 in their first game after the holiday break. As a senior, Kyle continues to show leadership with his hard work on the court and his dedication to training.
- The MRHS Vocal Class will be presenting a concert of solo work by each student in the class on Monday, January 18, at 7:00. Admission is free but donations will be gratefully received and will go toward the purchase of music for the vocal music class.
- STRIVE meeting is being held on January 21 at 11:45, please bring along your folder. New members are welcome. See Ms.Victor for more information
- Indigo Teen Book Club (465 University Avenue, Charlottetown) is scheduled for Thursday, January 21, at 7:00 pm, discussing the following books: A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness, I’ll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson, and Snow Like Ashes by Sara Raasch.
- Schulich Leaders Scholarship Applications are available at Student Services. The deadline for the application is January 25, 2016.
- Terry Fox Scholarship Deadline is February 1, 2016. Students should see Ms.Victor if they have any questions.
- FX will hold an information session on Wednesday February 10, 2016, from 6:30 to 8:00pm at Hotel On Pownal (146 Pownal St, Charlottetown). Please RSVP to Erin Draper at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Acadia will be back for a winter visit on February 24 from 11:45 to 12:30 in the Library Conference Room. There will be on the spot admissions. This visit will be more focused on scholarships and residences.
- Triathlon: If you are training with Ms. Evans-Renaud and Mr. MacDonald, swimming will be at 7:00am at the AFC on Tuesday and Thursday mornings. Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings will be in the Fitness Centre at MRHS. An athletic fee of $10 must be paid to Ms. Evans-Renaud or Mr. MacDonald to help defray the cost of the pool.
- Ordering Your Yearbook: 2015-16 Yearbooks are on sale until February 26. Don’t be disappointed.
- Friday Song Requests can be submitted to Christina Howlett or Ms. Nabuurs.
- Breakfast Club is up and running, and is open for all students.
- The Fitness Centre is open for students Monday to Thursday from 3:15 to 4:00 pm.
- Anyone who would like to have a free peer tutor to help with his or her subjects, see Ms. Christie Beck.
- All students are required to pay a $20 Student Fee each year. Payment should be made to the office.