It’s a “C-D” Day!
Happy Birthday to Hannah Annear and Jacob MacEachern
Welcome to the following guest staff: Mindy Johnston for Donna White, Isis Fluegge for Michael Brothers, Dean Lackie for Christie Beck.
“Tips for Timbits” Each day for the rest of the week, there will be a tip for Occupational Health and Safety included in the announcements. After hearing the tip, write it on a piece of paper, along with your name and grade; then place your entry in the timbit box located in the office. On Monday, January 18, the OHS leaders will draw a name with a top for the prize of a box of timbits.
- First tip: Bend your knees, not your back, to lift heavy things safely. Back injuries are painful and can make everyday tasks like getting out of bed difficult. This can be prevented by simply bending your knees.
Secondary Literacy Assessment (SLA) Grade 10:
- In April 2015, the Department of Education, Early Learning and Culture piloted the Secondary Literacy Assessment (SLA) in a number of English and French schools across PEI. The SLA is a cross-curricular literacy assessment administered to students in Grade 10. It is an online, web-based assessment.
- The Secondary Literacy Assessment will continue in the pilot phase in 2015-2016 to include all students and schools. Administration of the assessment will occur on March 31, 2016. The first cohort of students to participate in a full administration will be in 2017. This will be a graduation requirement for the 2019 graduation cohort (graduation class of 2019).
- Tsk! Tsk! There have been many items left in Learning Centre B since Christmas break (school bags, books, binders, lunch bags). If these belong to you, please pick them up. After today, they will be placed in the lost and found.
- Ms. Malone’s extra help will be held at lunch break today instead of after school.
- Kenny Richard and Harrison MacKay are asked to see Mrs. Killeen in the Library, please.
- No choir or Chrispie and the Squares rehearsal today!
- Choir students should pick up a notice about Halifax trip from Mr. Lackie (Ms. Beck’s substitute) in Learning Centre B at break or at lunch.
- Callum Thomson is an eight year old Belfast student who has been recently diagnosed with Leukemia. He is currently undergoing treatment in Halifax. Student Council will be collecting spare change after lunch Monday to Friday to help out this family. Thanks in advance for your donations!
- The Men’s Basketball team won their second game of 2016 last night, defeating Bluefield 2 75-46. The Vikings were led by Kyle Parlee’s 34 points and 10 rebounds and 17 points from David Thompson.
- Men’s Basketball team will have strength training today at 4:30pm followed by practice at 5:30pm.
- MRHS Juice Box Female Athlete of the Week: Rebecca Martens. Rebecca played well at the confederation city classic was player of the game. She played very well defensively in the tournament.
- MRHS Juice Box Male Athlete of the Week: Kyle Parlee – Grade 12 guard. Kyle led the basketball team in scoring and rebounding last week (32pts 16rebs) as the Vikings defeated Charlottetown Rural #2 in their first game after the holiday break. As a senior, Kyle continues to show leadership with his hard work on the court and his dedication to training.
- STRIVE meeting is being held on January 21 at 11:45, please bring along your folder. New members are welcome. See Ms.Victor for more information
- Schulich Leaders Scholarship Applications are available at Student Services. The deadline for the application is January 25, 2016.
- Terry Fox Scholarship Deadline is February 1, 2016. Students should see Ms.Victor if they have any questions.
- FX will hold an information session on Wednesday February 10, 2016, from 6:30 to 8:00pm at Hotel On Pownal (146 Pownal St, Charlottetown). Please RSVP to Erin Draper at email@example.com
- Acadia will be back for a winter visit on February 24 from 11:45 to 12:30 in the Library Conference Room. There will be on the spot admissions. This visit will be more focused on scholarships and residences.
- Triathlon: If you are training with Ms. Evans-Renaud and Mr. MacDonald, swimming will be at 7:00am at the AFC on Tuesday and Thursday mornings. Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings will be in the Fitness Centre at MRHS. An athletic fee of $10 must be paid to Ms. Evans-Renaud or Mr. MacDonald to help defray the cost of the pool.
- Ordering Your Yearbook: 2015-16 Yearbooks are on sale until February 26. Don’t be disappointed.
- Friday Song Requests can be submitted to Christina Howlett or Ms. Nabuurs.
- Breakfast Club is up and running, and is open for all students.
- The Fitness Centre is open for students Monday to Thursday from 3:15 to 4:00 pm.
- Anyone who would like to have a free peer tutor to help with his or her subjects, see Ms. Christie Beck.
- All students are required to pay a $20 Student Fee each year. Payment should be made to the office.