It’s a “C-D” Day!
Welcome to the following guest staff today: Harold Brothers for Carl Evans, Adam Clow for Jennifer Murphy, Dean Lackie for Jared Cheverie, and Marla McCarron for Pauline Kelly.
Spirit Week Continues at MRHS! All staff and students are encouraged to take part!
- Thursday: Pajama Day
- Friday: Hallowe’en Costume Dress-Up Day. Those who dress up on Friday, be sure to stop by Ms. Beaton’s room (Room 139) at lunch for a treat. Hope to see lots of ghosts and goblins!
It’s Library Week at MRHS!
- Check out the Thursday Library Trivia!
- Friday- Dress as your favorite literary character and get a chance to win a free book!
- Postcards for Peace is a learning activity in which youth send messages of thanks to those who served and those who continue to serve Canada in times of war, military conflict and peace. If students wish to send a postcard to a veteran, the Library will cover the cost of the postage. Postcards should contain an appropriate message and no personal information should be shared. Please get your postcard in the Library and return it by Thursday, November 5. See Mrs. Killeen for more details. Parents and community members will have an opportunity to fill one out Wednesday evening, November 4, at evening service.
- November Teen Reader and Holiday book flyers from Scholastic have arrived. Get started on your Christmas shopping!
- The SLAM Poetry Group will meet today at 11:50 in Room 85.
- Women’s A Soccer meeting in Mr. Weeks’ room at 11:45am today.
- Student Council: SPC card money is due to Ms. Beaton by Friday at lunch. There are seven cards left. If anyone is interested in purchasing one please see Ms. Beaton in Room 139. They are $10.
- Band Concert Tonight: Montague Regional and Intermediate Schools are performing a concert with the UPEI Wind Symphony at 7:30 this evening in the Cafeteria. Admission is $4 for students and $5 for adults. Proceeds from the concert will go towards maintaining the music programs at both schools.
- Students and staff are invited to reserve your Culinary Meal, being prepared for this Friday. Cost is $8 and tickets are on sale at the ticket booth during lunch break. Menu includes bok choy salad, maple pulled pork on a Kaiser, sweet potato wedges, buttered brussel sprouts, mango sorbet with lemon slices, and refreshing lemonade.
- Any choir members who want to order a jacket or hoodie should see Ms. Hicken in Room 133 for an order form.
- Don’t forget to try your luck at winning some Hallowe’en candy! Come to the School Store between 10:30am and 12:00noon and guess how many pieces of candy are in the jar. Guesses are 50¢ each or three for $1. Winner gets the jar of candy on Friday, October 30.
- Congratulations to the Field Hockey team on winning the PEISAA provincial Gold Medal 1-0 over Charlottetown Rural last night! Morganne Rice scored for the Vikings and Kristen MacIntyre recorded the shut out. Thank you to Khrista Higginbotham for coaching again this year!
- Congratulations to the following athletes who were named to the PEISAA Field Hockey all star team: Morganne Rice: League All Star and Provincial Championships MVP, Kristen MacIntyre: League All Star, Kelly Clements: Provincial Championships All Star.
- The Men’s Soccer team lost 4-3 to Colonel Gray in semifinal action last night. Daniel Whalen, Nolan McKenna and Michael VanDerZwaag scored for the Vikings. The men play for the bronze medal on Friday at Cornwall at 7:00pm.
- The Women’s Soccer team lost 3-1 to Charlottetown Rural in semifinal action last night. The women play for bronze on Friday at Cornwall at 5:00pm.
- Men’s Basketball: Try-out registration continues in Room 120. Registration forms can be completed at noon until Friday, and MUST be completed BEFORE the first try-out sessions next week, in order to be eligible. Please spread the word so no one gets left out!
- MRHS Juice Box Male Athlete of the Week: Mark Morrison. Mark has been a team leader and practices and plays hard. He has played several different positions this year and adapts well to change. He was a top performer in our league matches last week playing both power hitter and setter.
- MRHS Juice Box Female Co-Athlete of the Week: Hannah Annear. Hannah had a dominating performance against Francois Buote with consistent serving and aggressive blocks and hits at the net. A difference maker for us in the game.
- MRHS Juice Box Female Co-Athlete of the Week: Martha Cudmore. Martha has been playing a phenomenal season in net this year for MRHS and we are looking forward to seeing her in action during the playoffs. Martha is a positive and dedicated team player and we couldn’t have had such a great soccer season without her.
- MRHS is pleased to be hosting the PEISAA A Women’s Volleyball Championships on Saturday! Semifinal Matches: 9:30 am; Bronze Medal Match: 11:30 am; and Gold Medal Match: 1:00 pm.
- Dodgeball (Squad Balls vs Backwoods River Horses) is moved to Tuesday, November 3.
- Next Dodgeball Action: 4th Line Grind play Moose on Monday, November 2.
- Power Lifter’s Meet is on Thursday, November 19. See Earl or Mr. Toole if you have any questions.
- Fly Tyers will meet Friday at 11:45 in Mr. Trainor’s room.
- Daylight Savings Time ends this weekend. Don’t forget to set your clocks back on Sunday morning.
- Saint Thomas University will be here on November 9 from 11:30 to 12:30 in the library conference room. Come and hear what this university has to offer and ask any questions you may have.
- Memorial University will be here on Thursday, November 26, from 11:45 to 12:30. If you are interested in finding out more about this school, please come to the Library Conference room.
- Acadia University is here on Wednesday, December 2, and will be in the Library Conference room for any students interested in finding out more about Acadia.
- Saint Mary’s University will be here on December 3 to present and answer any questions you may have. They will be in the Library from 11:45-12:30.
- Retake proofs have arrived and are due Wednesday morning, November 4.
- Any Grades 11 or 12 students interested in volunteering at Kings County Memorial Hospital and Riverview Manor are reminded that applications are due Thursday, October 29, to Ms. Victor.
- Friday Song Requests can be submitted to Christina Howlett or Ms. Nabuurs.
- Breakfast Club is up and running, and is open for all students.
- The fitness centre is open for students Monday – Thursday from 3:15 to 4:00 pm.
- Anyone who would like to have a free peer tutor to help with his or her subjects, see Ms. Christie Beck.
- Sarah and Josh, UPEI 4th Year Nursing Students, are here on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays until December. They are located in Student Services; drop in for a visit!
- All students are required to pay a $20 Student Fee each year. Payment should be made to the office.
- MRHS Athletics clothing is on sale in the ticket booth on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays.
- Wrestling practices are at Montague Consolidated from 4:00 to 5:30pm on Mondays and Wednesdays.