It’s a “D-C” Day!
Happy Birthday to Gillian MacLeod.
Welcome to the following guest staff today: Pat Hewitt for Caleigh Oehlke, Harold Brothers for Carl Evans, Donna White for Jennifer Victor, and Marla McCarron for Pauline Kelly.
Spirit Week Continues at MRHS! All staff and students are encouraged to take part!
- Wednesday: 80’s Workout Wednesday
- Thursday: Pajama Day
- Friday: Hallowe’en Costume Dress-Up Day
It’s Library Week at MRHS!
- Winner of the library week “Guess the Number of Books” contest is Liam Hatton. Liam had the closest guess with 10,427. The actual number of books in the library is 12,160. Honourable mention goes to Anthony Cormier for his guess of 10,000. Thanks to all who participated! Liam, please see Mrs. Killeen for your free book from Scholastic Teen!
- Wednesday – Students, be sure to get to the library and check out the Pinteresting Mason Jar contest!
- Thursday- Library Trivia
- Friday- Dress as your favorite literary character and get a chance to win a free book!
- Postcards for Peace is a learning activity in which youth send messages of thanks to those who served and those who continue to serve Canada in times of war, military conflict and peace. If students wish to send a postcard to a veteran, the Library will cover the cost of the postage. Postcards should contain an appropriate message and no personal information should be shared. Please get your postcard in the Library and return it by Thursday, November 5. See Mrs. Killeen for more details. Parents and community members will have an opportunity to fill one out Wednesday evening, November 4, at evening service.
- November Teen Reader and Holiday book flyers from Scholastic have arrived. Get started on your Christmas shopping!
- Students and staff are invited to reserve your Culinary Meal, being prepared for this Friday. Cost is $8 and tickets are on sale at the ticket booth during lunch break. Menu includes bok choy salad, maple pulled pork on a Kaiser, sweet potato wedges, buttered brussel sprouts, mango sorbet with lemon slices, and refreshing lemonade.
- Any choir members who want to order a jacket or hoodie should see Ms. Hicken in Room 133 for an order form.
- UNB’s “Future Student Night” today at 7:00pm at the Loyalist Country Inn in Summerside and Thursday October 29, at 7 pm at the Delta Prince Edward in Charlottetown. These sessions will feature a presentation and a chance to talk with UNB representatives about admissions, scholarships, student life, and more. Interested student can even have their application assessed on the spot. Students must request a transcript prior to the event if they want admissions on the spot.
- Don’t forget to try your luck at winning some Hallowe’en candy! Come to the School Store between 10:30am and 12:00noon and guess how many pieces of candy are in the jar. Guesses are 50¢ each or three for $1. Winner gets the jar of candy on Friday, October 30.
- It’s Playoff Time! Soccer teams will depart at 1:30 pm today.
- Championship Game Today – Field Hockey team takes on Charlottetown Rural at UPEI at 6:00pm!
- Semi-final Game – Women’s Soccer plays Charlottetown Rural at Charlottetown Rural at 4:00pm!
- Semi-final Game – Men’s Soccer plays Colonel Gray at Cornwall Turf at 3:30 pm!
- Men’s Basketball: Try-out registration begins today in Room 120. Registration forms can be completed at noon until Friday, and MUST be completed BEFORE the first try-out sessions next week, in order to be eligible. Please spread the word so no one gets left out!
- MRHS Juice Box Male Athlete of the Week: Mark Morrison. Mark has been a team leader and practices and plays hard. He has played several different positions this year and adapts well to change. He was a top performer in our league matches last week playing both power hitter and setter.
- MRHS Juice Box Female Co-Athlete of the Week: Hannah Annear. Hannah had a dominating performance against Francois Buote with consistent serving and aggressive blocks and hits at the net. A difference maker for us in the game.
- MRHS Juice Box Female Co-Athlete of the Week: Martha Cudmore. Martha has been playing a phenomenal season in net this year for MRHS and we are looking forward to seeing her in action during the playoffs. Martha is a positive and dedicated team player and we couldn’t have had such a great soccer season without her.
- MRHS is pleased to be hosting the PEISAA A Women’s Volleyball Championships on Saturday! Semifinal Matches: 9:30 am; Bronze Medal Match: 11:30 am; and Gold Medal Match: 1:00 pm.
- Dodgeball Today: Ballerinas play Body Shots on Wednesday
- Next Dodgeball Action: Squad Balls play Backwoods River Horses on Friday.
- Power Lifter’s Meet is on Thursday, November 19. See Earl or Mr. Toole if you have any questions.
- Fly Tyers will meet Friday at 11:45 in Mr. Trainor’s room.
- Daylight Savings Time ends this weekend. Don’t forget to set your clocks back on Sunday morning.
- Saint Thomas University will be here on November 9 from 11:30 to 12:30 in the library conference room. Come and hear what this university has to offer and ask any questions you may have.
- Memorial University will be here on Thursday, November 26, from 11:45 to 12:30. If you are interested in finding out more about this school, please come to the Library Conference room.
- Acadia University is here on Wednesday, December 2, and will be in the Library Conference room for any students interested in finding out more about Acadia.
- Saint Mary’s University will be here on December 3 to present and answer any questions you may have. They will be in the Library from 11:45-12:30.
- Retake proofs have arrived and are due Wednesday morning, November 4.
- Grad Photos: Any Grade 12 student who wishes to borrow a grad gown/sash for a photo shoot outside the school should reserve a gown at the main office once you have your appointment made. There is a $30 deposit required for each gown rental; this payment is refunded once the gown is returned in good condition. There are six gowns and sashes available from the main office. Any students who are planning a large group photo shoot, requiring more than six gowns, must have one individual responsible for supplying the deposit in the form of a cheque for the full amount (e.g. 8 gowns = $240.00 cheque), picking up all the gowns, and returning them in a timely manner. Your cooperation is appreciated regarding this matter.
- Any Grades 11 or 12 students interested in volunteering at Kings County Memorial Hospital and Riverview Manor are reminded that applications are due Thursday, October 29, to Ms. Victor.
- Friday Song Requests can be submitted to Christina Howlett or Ms. Nabuurs.
- Breakfast Club is up and running, and is open for all students.
- The fitness centre is open for students Monday – Thursday from 3:15 to 4:00 pm.
- Anyone who would like to have a free peer tutor to help with his or her subjects, see Ms. Christie Beck.
- Sarah and Josh, UPEI 4th Year Nursing Students, are here on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays until December. They are located in Student Services; drop in for a visit!
- All students are required to pay a $20 Student Fee each year. Payment should be made to the office.
- MRHS Athletics clothing is on sale in the ticket booth on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays.
- Wrestling practices are at Montague Consolidated from 4:00 to 5:30pm on Mondays and Wednesdays.