It’s a “C-D” Day!
Happy Birthday to Alisha MacDonald and Alyssa Thaxter.
Welcome to the following guest staff today: Nicole Butler, Mindy Johnston, Adam Clow, Harold Brothers, Donna White, and David MacPhee.
Spirit Week Continues at MRHS! All staff and students are encouraged to take part!
- Tuesday: Twinsie Tuesday
- Wednesday: 80’s Workout Wednesday
- Thursday: Pajama Day
- Friday: Hallowe’en Costume Dress-Up Day
It’s Library Week at MRHS!
- Tuesday-“Guess the Number of Books in the Library” contest!
- Wednesday- “Pinterest”ing Mason Jar Contest
- Thursday- Library Trivia
- Friday- Dress as your favorite literary character and get a chance to win a free book!
- Postcards for Peace is a learning activity in which youth send messages of thanks to those who served and those who continue to serve Canada in times of war, military conflict and peace. If students wish to send a postcard to a veteran, the Library will cover the cost of the postage. Postcards should contain an appropriate message and no personal information should be shared. Please get your postcard in the Library and return it by Thursday, November 5. See Mrs. Killeen for more details. Parents and community members will have an opportunity to fill one out Wednesday evening, November 4, at evening service.
- November Teen Reader and Holiday book flyers from Scholastic have arrived. Get started on your Christmas shopping!
- Retake proofs have arrived and are due Wednesday morning, November 4. Homeroom teachers, please hold onto collection envelope and Mrs. Killeen will collect on that morning.
- Lucas Mitchell is asked to see Mrs. Killeen in the Library today.
- Don’t forget to try your luck at winning some Hallowe’en candy! Come to the School Store between 10:30am and 12:00noon and guess how many pieces of candy are in the jar. Guesses are 50¢ each or three for $1. Winner gets the jar of candy on Friday, October 30.
- The Men’s Soccer team defeated TOSH 3-0 in quarterfinal action last night. Donovan Bears, Daniel Whalen, and Matthew Quinn scored for the Vikings. Brandon Lund recorded the shut out. The Vikings take on Colonel Gray in the semifinals on Wednesday at Cornwall turf at 3:30pm.
- The Women’s Soccer team defeated Evangeline 5-3 in quarterfinal action yesterday. The women take on Charlottetown Rural in the semifinals on Wednesday at Charlottetown Rural at 4:00pm.
- Dodgeball Today: Sitting Ducks take on the Staff Hawks.
- Men’s Basketball : Strength and Agility Training today at 3:45pm in the fitness centre.
- Next Dodgeball Action: Ballerinas play Body Shots on Wednesday.
- Power Lifter’s Meet is on Thursday, November 19. See Earl or Mr. Toole if you have any questions.
- The University of New Brunswick will be hosting a “Future Student Night” on Wednesday, October 28, at 7:00pm at the Loyalist Country Inn in Summerside and Thursday October 29, at 7 pm at the Delta Prince Edward in Charlottetown. These sessions will feature a presentation and a chance to talk with UNB representatives about admissions, scholarships, student life, and more. Interested student can even have their application assessed on the spot. Students must request a transcript prior to the event if they want admissions on the spot.
- Saint Thomas University will be here on November 9 from 11:30 to 12:30 in the library conference room. Come and hear what this university has to offer and ask any questions you may have.
- Memorial University will be here on Thursday, November 26, from 11:45 to 12:30. If you are interested in finding out more about this school, please come to the Library Conference room.
- Acadia University is here on Wednesday, December 2, and will be in the Library Conference room for any students interested in finding out more about Acadia.
- Saint Mary’s University will be here on December 3 to present and answer any questions you may have. They will be in the Library from 11:45-12:30.
- Grad Photos: Any Grade 12 student who wishes to borrow a grad gown/sash for a photo shoot outside the school should reserve a gown at the main office once you have your appointment made. There is a $30 deposit required for each gown rental; this payment is refunded once the gown is returned in good condition. There are six gowns and sashes available from the main office. Any students who are planning a large group photo shoot, requiring more than six gowns, must have one individual responsible for supplying the deposit in the form of a cheque for the full amount (e.g. 8 gowns = $240.00 cheque), picking up all the gowns, and returning them in a timely manner. Your cooperation is appreciated regarding this matter.
- Any Grades 11 or 12 students interested in volunteering at Kings County Memorial Hospital and Riverview Manor are reminded that applications are due Thursday, October 29, to Ms. Victor.
- Heritage Minute video submissions are open to Canadian students in Grade 5-12 and are due November 30, 2015. Check out http://storiesofsirjohna.ca/#student-resources or see Mrs. Killeen for more info.
- Friday Song Requests can be submitted to Christina Howlett or Ms. Nabuurs. You must submit a copy of the lyrics and have the song available on your electronic device.
- How We Remember Contest: Submissions of a drawing, painting, poem or short story around the theme of remembrance of the First or Second World War will be accepted. More details are available from Mrs. Killeen or at http://canada1914-1945.ca/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/contest-rules.pdf
- Breakfast Club is up and running, and is open for all students.
- The fitness centre is open for students Monday – Thursday from 3:15 to 4:00 pm. The fitness centre may be closed some Mondays when there are staff meetings.
- Anyone who would like to have a free peer tutor to help with his or her subjects, see Ms. Beck in Learning Centre B.
- Sarah and Josh, UPEI 4th Year Nursing Students, are here on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays until December. They are located in Student Services; drop in for a visit!
- All students are required to pay a $20 Student Fee each year. Payment should be made to the office.
- MRHS Athletics clothing is on sale in the ticket booth on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays.
- Wrestling practices are at Montague Consolidated from 4:00 to 5:30pm on Mondays and Wednesdays. All are welcome.