It’s a “C-D” Day!
Happy Birthday to Alexis Giersdorf and Patrick McGee.
Welcome to the following guest staff today: Isis Fluegge for Glenda McInnis (pm), Harris Campbell for Matthew Killeen, Marla McCarron for Gail Johnston (pm), Logan Duckworth for Earl Campbell, Wanda Cheverie for Pauline Kelly.
Long Weekend: There are no classes for students on Thursday and Friday of this week. Teachers and support staff will be attending meetings.
- Final call for pictures order to be submitted to Mrs. Killeen by 10:00am. Fed Ex coming at 10:30am.
- Any Grades 11 or 12 students interested in volunteering at Kings County Memorial Hospital and Riverview Manor can now get applications at Student Services. Applications are due Thursday, Oct.29, to Ms. Victor.
- Home room classes are collecting non-perishable food items and/or monetary donations in support of the Southern Kings and Queens Food Bank. Today is the last day to contribute. Student Council is promoting this homeroom competition and will be presenting the winning room with a prize!
- Staff are reminded that Lynn Hayes and her students are operating the laminator on a regular basis. They are more than happy to look after any of your laminating needs. Please speak to Lynn if you have any laminating projects!
- Grad Photos: Any Grade 12 student who wishes to borrow a grad gown/sash for a photo shoot outside the school should reserve a gown at the main office once you have your appointment made. There is a $30 deposit required for each gown rental; this payment is refunded once the gown is returned in good condition. There are six gowns and sashes available from the main office. Any students who are planning a large group photo shoot, requiring more than six gowns, must have one individual responsible for supplying the deposit in the form of a cheque for the full amount (e.g. 8 gowns = $240.00 cheque), picking up all the gowns, and returning them in a timely manner. Your cooperation is appreciated regarding this matter.
- Badminton PEI is hosting a kick-off tournament in Charlottetown this weekend. Any athletes interested in participating should see Ms. Nabuurs for more information.
- Today’s Home Game: Men’s volleyball v. Colonel Gray 5:30 pm
- Today’s Dodgeball game has been moved to Oct.27. The Sitting Ducks will take on the Staff Hawks.
- Next Dodgeball Action: Bad Mamajamas play Moose on Monday, October 26.
- The powerlifting meet that was scheduled for October 29 has been moved to Thursday, November 19. See Earl or Mr. Toole if you have any questions.
- The Men’s Soccer team will host a quarterfinal game on Monday. Time and opponent TBA.
- MRHS Juice Box Male Athlete of the Week: Daniel Whalen. Daniel finished 3rd at the PEISAA Provincial Cross Country Championships last week, running a sub-20 minute 5 km. Daniel also had a strong soccer game against Colonel Gray.
- MRHS Juice Box Female Co-Athlete of the Week: Ally Clements. Ally finished 3rd at the PEISAA Provincial Cross Country Championships last week, running 4 km in 17.19.
- MRHS Juice Box Female Co-Athlete of the Week: Grace Gormley. Grace finished 2nd at the PEISAA Provincial Cross Country Championships last week, running 3.5 km in 16.56.
- Athletes of the Week should see Ms. Nabuurs for your coupon for a smoothie at The Juice Box!
- The University of New Brunswick will be hosting a “Future Student Night” on Wednesday, October 28, at 7:00pm at the Loyalist Country Inn in Summerside and Thursday October 29, at 7 pm at the Delta Prince Edward in Charlottetown. These sessions will feature a presentation and a chance to talk with UNB representatives about admissions, scholarships, student life, and more. Interested student can even have their application assessed on the spot. Students must request a transcript prior to the event if they want admissions on the spot.
- Saint Thomas University will be here on November 9 from 11:30 to 12:30 in the library conference room. Come and hear what this university has to offer and ask any questions you may have.
- Memorial University will be here on Thursday, November 26, from 11:45 to 12:30. If you are interested in finding out more about this school, please come to the Library Conference room.
- Acadia University is here on Wednesday, December 2, and will be in the Library Conference room for any students interested in finding out more about Acadia.
- Saint Mary’s University will be here on December 3 to present and answer any questions you may have. They will be in the Library from 11:45-12:30.
- Heritage Minute video submissions are open to Canadian students in Grade 5-12 and are due November 30, 2015. Check out http://storiesofsirjohna.ca/#student-resources or see Mrs. Killeen for more info.
- Friday Song Requests can be submitted to Christina Howlett or Ms. Nabuurs. You must submit a copy of the lyrics and have the song available on your electronic device.
- How We Remember Contest: Submissions of a drawing, painting, poem or short story around the theme of remembrance of the First or Second World War will be accepted. More details are available from Mrs. Killeen or at http://canada1914-1945.ca/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/contest-rules.pdf
- Breakfast Club is up and running, and is open for all students.
- The fitness centre is open for students Monday – Thursday from 3:15 to 4:00 pm. The fitness centre may be closed some Mondays when there are staff meetings.
- Anyone who would like to have a free peer tutor to help with his or her subjects, see Ms. Beck in Learning Centre B.
- Sarah and Josh, UPEI 4th Year Nursing Students, are here on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays until December. They are located in Student Services; drop in for a visit!
- All students are required to pay a $20 Student Fee each year. Payment should be made to the office.
- MRHS Athletics clothing is on sale in the ticket booth on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays.
- Wrestling practices are at Montague Consolidated from 4:00 to 5:30pm on Mondays and Wednesdays. All are welcome.