It’s a “D-C” Day!
Welcome to the following guest staff today: Donna White for Sandra Hicken, Nicole Butler for Chantelle Beaton, Kaitlin McManus for Kirsten Walker.
- Students are reminded that picture day is this coming Monday! All students (including Grade 12’s) must have their photos taken in order to produce Student IDs. Come prepared; all photos will be taken during the morning.
- French Immersion students going to Evangeline on September 30 are asked to have 10$ in to Mme.Oehlke no later than September 29. Students are reminded to have their forms and fees paid by September 29 as well.
- Inclusion Initiative: Learning Centre A is looking for students who can spend time with a student, assist the student in social activities at lunch or after school, engage in meaningful conversation, and model good social behaviour at school. Social modeling is an important part of your role as a peer. Demonstrating good social behaviour, positive language, and a respect for the school community is essential as a social tutor. The time commitment can be worked out between you and your student and could be a half a lunch, a full lunch, an after-school sport, or intramurals. This commitment will be honored for the school year (dependent on the activity) and should be taken seriously. These students will look forward to the time they spend with you! Please consider this important role at MRHS! It is a fantastic way to get involved in your school! Applications are available from Mrs. Power!
- MRHS Female Athlete of the Week: Kirsten Whiteway. Kirsten had a strong performance in the midfield, scoring her first goal of the season in a 3-3 draw with Charlottetown Rural on Friday.
- MRHS Male Athlete of the Week: Daniel Whalen. Daniel’s pace and work rate were unmatched in Friday’s game at Charlottetown Rural, resulting in several scoring opportunities for the Vikings.
- Nabuurs PE class will be in the fitness centre today. Bring your PE clothes.
- There will be a Men’s Basketball meeting to discuss Tactics and Strategy today in Room 120, starting at 11:50am. Bring your lunch and a binder. Anyone who is thinking about playing for MRHS this year should be there!!
- Field Hockey bus departs for the Rural tournament at 2:30 pm.
- Today’s Home Game: Women’s Soccer hosts Colonel Gray at 5 pm (girls are to be dressed and ready on the field at 4:30), Women’s Volleyball hosts Kinkora at 6 pm.
- New to the weight room/fitness center? Josh and Sarah, Student Nurses, can help you learn the ropes! Starting next Tuesday at lunch, they will be in the fitness center. Stop by Student Services for more information.
- There is a sign-up sheet posted on the bulletin board near the Phys. Ed. For intramural dodgeball that is set to begin early to mid-next week. The final sign up is today, and each team must have a minimum of 12 players and 1-2 team captains.
- The MRHS Slam Poetry Team will meet for the first time this school year on September 29 at 11:50 in Room 85. All interested students are welcome.
- It’s that time! The Culinary class is going to have its first meal on Friday, October 2. Look for the posters with all the info posted throughout the school next week. The menu is lettuce wedge salad, corn bread, chili con carne (some veggie chili too in limited amounts so sign up early), apple crisp with whipped cream, and orange strawberry fizz… all for $8.00. Meal will be served at 11:50am in Room 136. Meal tickets will be sold in the ticket booth next Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. Note: Paid customers will be served first!
- On October 14, from 1:15 to 3:00pm, representatives from various post secondary schools will be set up in the Cafeteria to answer any question you may have about post secondary studies. Ms. Victor will be around to Grade 12 classes prior to the event to give students some direction.
- Thomas University will be here to present and answer any questions you may have. They will be in the Library Conference Room from 11:45-12:30 on November 9.
- Mary’s University will be here to present and answer any questions you may have. They will be in the Library from 11:45-12:30 on December 2.
- Breakfast Club is up and running, and is open for all students.
- Any student interested in the Legislative Assembly Page Program should see Ms Victor for an application and more information. Applications are due to Ms. Victor by October 1.
- SPC cards are on sale during the month of September for $10.00. To purchase one, see a member of student council or Ms. Beaton in Room 139.
- The fitness centre is open for students Monday – Thursday from 3:15 to 4:00 pm. The fitness centre may be closed some Mondays when there are staff meetings.
- Anyone who would like to have a free peer tutor to help with his or her subjects, see Ms. Beck in Learning Centre B.
- Sarah and Josh, UPEI 4th Year Nursing Students, are here on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays until December. They are located in Student Services; drop in for a visit!
- All students are required to pay a $20 Student Fee each year. Payment should be made to home room teachers.
- MRHS Athletics clothing is on sale in the ticket booth on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays.
- Student Services is now accepting applications for the Loran Scholarship. Students who demonstrate character, leadership and a strong commitment to service in the community should come and see Ms.Victor for an application package. Students are asked to fill out the paper copy provided for you from Student Services. Deadline for applications will be October 2 at 3pm.
- Fun “GET OUT and VOTE!” flash mob today. Everybody can just go down to the Montague Waterfront around 4pm to participate in the fun dance mob. Easy moves so anyone can go, and learn on the spot.
- The Workers Compensation Board is seeking students (two per school) for their OHS Leadership Program. OHS Leaders who complete all program requirements will receive $500 at the end of the school year. If you’re in Grade 11 or 12 and like to organize fun activities at school, this may be for you. For more info, visit wcb.pe.ca/OHSLeader or contact Clare firstname.lastname@example.org
- Run, walk, skip, hop or dance fun run: Saturday, September 26, at the Montague water front. $10 per person, family rates too. Feel free to bring your pets! All proceeds going to mental health initiatives in Montague area! Registration at 8:30am, run (5 and 10 k) begins at 9:30am.
- Wellness Expo: Saturday, September 26, from 1:00 to 4:00 pm, at the Cavendish Wellness Centre. Event is featuring 20 fitness, health, and wellness organizations from all over PEI.
- The U16 Eastern Eagles Boys Team will be travelling to Surrey, BC, in October for Nationals and are looking for your support! They will be hosting a SOCCER GOLF Tournament at Seal Cove Campground on Saturday, Sept. 26! Shotgun start at 10am and if you are interested in putting a team of 4 in, PLEASE register your team of 4 by contacting Nancy Murphy (902) 838-2530 or (902) 969-7812 or email@example.com<mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org> or any member of the team. The cost is $20 a player ($80 a team) and is open to ALL ages!! Come out and try a new spin on Soccer and Golf and support the Boys as well! Limit is 18 teams so register early!