It’s a “D-C” Day!
Welcome to the following guest staff today: Dean Lackie for Carl Evans, Donna White for Bethany MacLeod, Michael Hambly for Kristina McLane.
Happy Birthday to Ben MacDonald, Taylor J. Matheson, Ashton Ryan.
Mental Health Tip of the Week – Think of others and say thank you! Support. Talk. Socialize. Ask for help. Build a team. Social support is a great buffer to the never-ending changes that we face in life.
- Peer Helper Block Meetings are being held today!
- Holland College will be here today at 11:45 in Library Conference Room to assist/answer questions for students who are attending Holland College in the fall and applying for scholarships.
- The following people should be at rehearsal for Footloose after school today: Vi, Shaw, Ariel, Travis, Chuck, Lyle, Rusty, Urleen, Wendy Jo.
- Anyone wanting to do a trial run for triathlon should meet at the pool at 3:45 today. Bring your running gear and bike with helmet. We will have a few extra bikes for those who need them.
Alternate Library Arrangements:
- The library will be closed next week due to French DELF exams being written in the library. Study Bock students should see Mrs. Killeen for alternative locations, as the cafeteria will be closed for the musical.
- During lunch hour, Room 85 will be supervised for those requiring a quiet place to study only.
- Those requiring computers should visit the learning centre during break and lunch.
- The library will still be open before and after school.
- Zokgu games today at lunch, starting at 12:00. Team Ethiopia vs Team Teachers, Suns Out Guns Out vs Team 3, and Team 1 vs Team 4 (Maria Ferguson, Emma Mullally, Maya Wight, Brianne Wight, Paige Miller).
- Wrestling: No practices for the remainder of the week or next week.
- Softball practice for Men and Women will be held on Thursday from 3:30 to 5:30 pm.
- High jump practice today after school in the gym.
- Track and field practice on Thursday after school.
- Rugby and Softball forms and fees ($30 or $35 if it’s your first sport of the year) are being collected in the PE office every day at noon. These items should be submitted ASAP. Athletes will not play in a game until these are submitted.
- Rugby shorts ($30) and mouth guards ($5) are on sale in the PE office every day at noon.
- Fall and winter athlete photos are for sale for $5; check at the main office. Please purchase your photo!
- MRHS Athletic Clothing is on sale! All articles are buy one and get one for 50% off! Hoodies are $30, gym pants are $30, and T-shirts are $10. Athletic clothing is on sale during mornings in the ticket booth.
- There will be a very important meeting on Thursday, May 7, in Room #133 at 12:00 for anyone who is working the front of house at the musical. Please make sure you attend.
- On Thursday, May 7, author Bill Swan will be visiting Montague High and giving two presentations to some classes as part of the Canadian Children’s Book Week 2015 author tour. Mr. Swan is author of such titles in the Real Justice series including Fourteen and Sentenced to Death: The Story of Steven Truscott, Jailed for Life for Being Black: The Story of Rubin Hurricane Carter, and Convicted for Being Mi’kmaq: The story of Donald Marshall Jr. Check out this month’s Library display case!
- Credit Union Scholarship applications are due May 7. For more information and to apply online visit: https://www.provincialcu.com/Home/InOurCommunity/Scholarships/ScholarshipApp/
- This week’s Culinary meal for May 8 has an Italian theme: Creamy chicken alfredo with bacon bits served with bruschetta and Italian salad tossed with basil tarragon vinegar dressing. For a dessert, refreshing fruit kabobs and cranberry juice and 7-up garnished with frozen green grapes.
- Encounters with Canada forms are now available in Student Services. Interested students should see Mrs. Kenny and Ms. Victor for more information. Deadline for forms is May 8, 2015.
- PEI Mutual Education Trust Centennial Scholarship is due May 11. For more information and an application form, please see Ms. Victor or Mrs. Kenny in Student Services.
- Starting on May 15, there will be the opportunity for groups of three students to participate in live performance painting from noon to 1:00 pm at the waterfront. Three students will be given a wooden door to paint within a one-hour time-frame. This will happen every Friday until October with a different group of three painting. In October, the art will be auctioned off for charity. Please give your names to Mr. Henderson or Ms. Evans-Renaud if you are interested.
- Additional upcoming Culinary meal dates are Friday, May 15, 22, and 29. Stay tuned for the menus!
- Grads, if you are interested in being this year’s valedictorian, submit your name to Ms. McInnis, Mr. Killeen, or Mr. MacDonald by Friday, May 15. You will be given a topic for a short (2-3 minute) speech which you will deliver in front of your graduating class during an assembly on May 20. After that assembly, the class will vote on the candidate that they think will best represent them at graduation.
- Culinary Meal for Friday, May 29: Italian wedding soup filled with spinach and sausage complemented by a warm, buttery garlic parmesan braided breadstick. Enjoy a honey chicken and veggie shish-kabob served with a cold pasta salad. For dessert, finish with an apple pie crumble turnover loaded with apples and cinnamon sugar, with a chilled citrus sweet tea on the side.
- Graduating students should visit the library for an application form for Viking Pins. Applications are due Friday, May 15, but can take time to complete! Don’t leave it until the last minute! Please see Ms. Nabuurs or Ms. Killeen with any questions. Further information available on page 15-16 of student handbook (available online at https://montaguehigh.wordpress.com/)
- Triathlon morning training sessions: Mondays and Wednesdays at the Pool, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays at the Fitness Centre.
- All students are required to pay the $20 Student Fee.
Public Service Announcements:
- “Treble With Girls” Mother’s Day Concert – Saturday, May 9, at 8:00 pm at Murray Harbour Community Centre. Treat Mom to an evening of music and fun! All ages are welcome; admission is $10. There will be a 50/50 draw and light refreshments served at this fundraiser for the Community Centre.
- The Miss Montague Pageant will take place during Montage Summer Days from June 28 to July 5. Applicants must be between the ages of 13 and 18, and the deadline for entries is June 19. Application forms are available in the main office here at the school.