It’s a “C-D” Day!
Welcome to the following guest staff today: Wanda Cheverie for Gail Greene, Dean Lackie for Carl Evans, Donna White for Bethany MacLeod, Michael Hambly for Class Composition, Denise McGillivray for Toby Murphy, Brian Crane for Pauline Kelly (pm)
Happy Birthday to Nolan Hicken and Cassandra McGillivray.
Congratulations to retired teacher Mr. Ralph Jamieson, recipient of the Golden Apple Award through PEITF, presented at the business meeting held on May 1. Check out a student created video at the following link… https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBDdet-T7AQ
Mental Health Tip of the Week – Think of others and say thank you! Support. Talk. Socialize. Ask for help. Build a team. Social support is a great buffer to the never-ending changes that we face in life.
- MRHS’s Young Blood for Life Club is hosting a “What’s Your Type?” clinic in the lobby today from 11:30 to 12:30. This is an opportunity for students and staff to find their blood type. For students under 17 years of age, a permission form is available from Mr. Charlie Trainor in Room 131.
- Prom Committee Meeting: Today at 12:00 in Room 84.
- Holland College will be here this Wednesday at 11:45 in Library Conference Room to assist/answer questions for students who are attending Holland College in the fall and applying for scholarships.
- There will be a very important meeting on Thursday, May 7, in Room #133 at 12:00 for anyone who is working the front of house at the musical. Please make sure you attend.
- On Thursday, May 7, author Bill Swan will be visiting Montague High and giving two presentations to some classes as part of the Canadian Children’s Book Week 2015 author tour. Mr. Swan is author of such titles in the Real Justice series including Fourteen and Sentenced to Death: The Story of Steven Truscott, Jailed for Life for Being Black: The Story of Rubin Hurricane Carter, and Convicted for Being Mi’kmaq: The story of Donald Marshall Jr. Check out this month’s Library display case!
- Credit Union Scholarship applications are due May 7. For more information and to apply online visit: https://www.provincialcu.com/Home/InOurCommunity/Scholarships/ScholarshipApp/
- This week’s Culinary meal for May 8 has an Italian theme: Creamy chicken alfredo with bacon bits served with bruschetta and Italian salad tossed with basil tarragon vinegar dressing. For a dessert, refreshing fruit kabobs and cranberry juice and 7-up garnished with frozen green grapes.
- Encounters with Canada forms are now available in Student Services. Interested students should see Mrs. Kenny and Ms. Victor for more information. Deadline for forms is May 8, 2015.
- PEI Mutual Education Trust Centennial Scholarship is due May 11. For more information and an application form, please see Ms. Victor or Mrs. Kenny in Student Services.
- Additional upcoming Culinary meal dates are Friday, May 15, 22, and 29. Stay tuned for the menus!
- Grads, if you are interested in being this year’s valedictorian, submit your name to Ms. McInnis, Mr. Killeen, or Mr. MacDonald by Friday, May 15. You will be given a topic for a short (2-3 minute) speech which you will deliver in front of your graduating class during an assembly on May 20. After that assembly, the class will vote on the candidate that they think will best represent them at graduation.
- Intramurals Today at 12:00pm: Riley Lavandier’s team vs Donovan Bears’ team and Spencer Gillis’ team vs the Teachers.
- Wrestling: No practices for the remainder of the week or next week.
- Softball practice for Men and Women will be cancelled today and held on Thursday from 3:30 to 5:30 pm.
- High jump practice on Tuesday and Wednesday after school in the gym.
- Track and field practice on Thursday after school.
- Rugby and Softball forms and fees ($30 or $35 if it’s your first sport of the year) are being collected in the PE office every day at noon. These items should be submitted ASAP. Athletes will not play in a game until these are submitted.
- Rugby shorts ($30) and mouth guards ($5) are on sale in the PE office every day at noon.
- Fall and winter athlete photos are for sale for $5; check at the main office. Please purchase your photo!
- MRHS Athletic Clothing is on sale! All articles are buy one and get one for 50% off! Hoodies are $30, gym pants are $30, and T-shirts are $10. Athletic clothing is on sale during mornings in the ticket booth.
- Graduating students should visit the library for an application form for Viking Pins. Applications are due Friday, May 15, but can take time to complete! Don’t leave it until the last minute! Please see Ms. Nabuurs or Ms. Killeen with any questions. Further information available on page 15-16 of student handbook (available online at https://montaguehigh.wordpress.com/)
- Triathlon morning training sessions: Mondays and Wednesdays at the Pool, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays at the Fitness Centre.
- All students are required to pay the $20 Student Fee.
Public Service Announcements:
- “Treble With Girls” Mother’s Day Concert – Saturday, May 9, at 8:00 pm at Murray Harbour Community Centre. Treat Mom to an evening of music and fun! All ages are welcome; admission is $10. There will be a 50/50 draw and light refreshments served at this fundraiser for the Community Centre.
- The Miss Montague Pageant will take place during Montage Summer Days from June 28 to July 5. Applicants must be between the ages of 13 and 18, and the deadline for entries is June 19. Application forms are available in the main office here at the school.