It’s a “D-C” Day!
Welcome to the following guest staff today: Wanda Cheverie for Gail Greene, Dean Lackie for Carl Evans, Donna White for Bethany MacLeod.
Happy Birthday to Nolan Hicken and Cassandra McGillivray. Belated greetings to Kailee Casario who celebrated her birthday over the weekend.
Congratulations! This month’s RISE Award winners are Rose Henbest, Cody Powers, Sarah Christensen, and Briann Jones. These students were nominated by the MRHS staff for making a difference at MRHS through kindness to others and maintaining a positive attitude. They receive a certificate and a coupon, compliments of Greco and Frozu. Congratulations to you all!
Mental Health Tip of the Week – Think of others and say thank you! Support. Talk. Socialize. Ask for help. Build a team. Social support is a great buffer to the never-ending changes that we face in life.
- Band students who were absent on Thursday because of their trip can still participate in the Student Vote. Those students can cast their ballot in Mr. Kelly’s room during break this morning.
- MRHS’s Young Blood for Life Club is hosting a What’s Your Type clinic in the lobby tomorrow from 11:30 to 12:30. This is an opportunity for students and staff to find their blood type. For students under 17 years of age, a permission form is available from Mr. Charlie Trainor in Room 131. For more information, please contact Mr. Charlie Trainor.
- Prom Committee Meeting: Tuesday at 11:45 in Room 84.
- On Thursday, May 7, author Bill Swan will be visiting Montague High and giving two presentations to some classes as part of the Canadian Children’s Book Week 2015 author tour. Mr. Swan is author of such titles in the Real Justice series including Fourteen and Sentenced to Death: The Story of Steven Truscott, Jailed for Life for Being Black: The Story of Rubin Hurricane Carter, and Convicted for Being Mi’kmaq: The story of Donald Marshall Jr. Check out this month’s Library display case in honor of Mr. Swan’s visit.
- This week’s Culinary meal for May 8 has an Italian theme: Creamy chicken alfredo with bacon bits served with bruschetta and Italian salad tossed with basil tarragon vinegar dressing. For a dessert, refreshing fruit kabobs and cranberry juice and 7-up garnished with frozen green grapes.
- Other Culinary meal dates are Friday, May 15, 22, and 29. Stay tuned for the menus!
- Don’t forget to mark on your calendar Tuesday, May 26, at 7:00 – MRHS Band Spring Concert and Thursday, May 28, at 7:00 – the Vocal Spring Concert.
Grads, it’s time to select your Valedictorian for 2015.
- What is a valedictorian? The valedictorian will deliver the final message and advice at graduation on June 24,2015.
- How does the valedictorian get selected?
- If you are interested in being this year’s valedictorian, submit your name to Ms. McInnis, Mr. Killeen, or Mr. MacDonald by Friday, May 15. You will be given a topic for a short (2-3 minute) speech which you will deliver in front of your graduating class during an assembly on May 20. After that assembly, the class will vote on the candidate that they think will best represent them at graduation.
- The candidates will also deliver a second (2-3 minute) speech to a selected group of volunteers (students and staff) and will answer questions “on the spot” after their speech.
- The honour of being the 2015 class valedictorian is then selected by a combination of the class vote and the results from the panel of the second speech.
- The successful candidate will prepare their valedictory address at least one week before graduation and submit it to Ms. Evans-Renaud by June 15.
- Holland College will be here this Wednesday at 11:45 in Library Conference Room to assist/answer questions for students who are attending Holland College in the fall and applying for scholarships.
- Credit Union Scholarship applications are due May 7. For more information and to apply online visit: https://www.provincialcu.com/Home/InOurCommunity/Scholarships/ScholarshipApp/
- Encounters with Canada forms are now available in Student Services. Interested students should see Mrs. Kenny and Ms. Victor for more information. Deadline for forms is May 8, 2015.
- PEI Mutual Education Trust Centennial Scholarship is due May 11. For more information and an application form, please see Ms. Victor or Mrs. Kenny in Student Services.
- Jokgu: Today at lunch at 12:00, we have our first games in our Jokgu tournament. Team #1 (Deanna Morris, Taylor Ferguson, Ali White, Rebekah Conohan, Chloe Chapman) will play “Suns Out, Guns Out” (Nolan Hicken, Zak Chandler, Marshal McLeod, Isaiah Mahar, Darian Johnson).
- Wrestling practice today 3:30 – 5:30 at Montague Consolidated. No practices for the remainder of the week or next week.
- There is an important meeting for all track and field athletes in the Fitness Centre during morning break. Anyone who has not yet signed up should attend the meeting as it will be last call for signing up.
- Rugby and Softball forms and fees ($30 or $35 if it’s your first sport of the year) are being collected in the PE office every day at noon. These items should be submitted ASAP. Athletes will not play in a game until these are submitted.
- Rugby shorts ($30) and mouth guards ($5) are on sale in the PE office every day at noon.
- Fall and winter athlete photos are for sale for $5; check at the main office. Please purchase your photo!
- MRHS Athletic Clothing is on sale! All articles are buy one and get one for 50% off! Hoodies are $30, gym pants are $30, and T-shirts are $10. Athletic clothing is on sale during mornings in the ticket booth.
- Softball practice for Men and Women will be cancelled on Tuesday and held on Thursday from 3:30 to 5:30 pm.
- Graduating students should visit the library for an application form for Viking Pins. Applications are due Friday, May 15, but can take time to complete! Don’t leave it until the last minute! Please see Ms. Nabuurs or Ms. Killeen with any questions. Further information available on page 15-16 of student handbook (available online at https://montaguehigh.wordpress.com/)
- Triathlon morning training sessions: Mondays and Wednesdays at the Pool, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays at the Fitness Centre.
- All students are required to pay the $20 Student Fee.
Public Service Announcements:
- “Treble With Girls” Mother’s Day Concert – Saturday, May 9, at 8:00 pm at Murray Harbour Community Centre. Treat Mom to an evening of music and fun! All ages are welcome; admission is $10. There will be a 50/50 draw and light refreshments served at this fundraiser for the Community Centre.
- The Miss Montague Pageant will take place during Montage Summer Days from June 28 to July 5. Applicants must be between the ages of 13 and 18, and the deadline for entries is June 19. Application forms are available in the main office here at the school.