It’s a “D-C” Day!
Welcome to the following guest staff today: Mike Hambly for Class Composition, Adam Clow for Ronnie Munn, Donna White for Bethany MacLeod, Dean Lackie for Matthew Killeen, Ellen MacCannell for Angela Killeen, Wanda Cheverie for Gail Greene, Amy McCarron for Gail Johnston (pm).
Happy Birthday to Jake Banks and Donavan Bears.
Canada Book Day is a yearly event celebrated in Canada on April 23 to promote reading and books. The week surrounding April 23 is celebrated as Canada Book Week. Canada Book Day is celebrated on the same day as World Book and Copyright Day, a yearly event organized by UNESCO to promote reading, publishing and the protection of intellectual property through copyright. Canada Book Day was organized by the Writers’ Trust of Canada, a national organization whose mandate is to represent writers and support Canadian English-language literature.
Mental Health Tip of the Week – Take time for your mental health! Eat breakfast. Grab a healthy snack. Drink plenty of water. Get up and move around if you have been sitting for a while. What you do to energize yourself through food, water and exercise can have a significant impact on your mental health.
- There will be an OREO meeting today at lunch in Room 113. All participants must attend!
- There will be an important STRIVE meeting today at 11:45 in the Library Conference Room. All members are encouraged to attend.
- Wits and Words Poetry Slam rehearsal today at 11:43 in Mr. Lea’s room.
- Footloose T-Shirt money due ASAP.
- Any students looking for work are asked to please see Earl in (Student Services) to sign up for possible employment opportunities.
- If any students are interested in volunteering in the summer as a Counsellor-In-Training at Oak Acres, please see Earl for an application.
- Spirit Week continues at MRHS: Today is Throwback Thursday and Friday is ER Day.
- Students are reminded that SEVEC applications are due on Thursday, April 30. Please submit your application to Mr. Kelly or Mr. Munn.
- It’s Burger Love time at MRHS! The CUL class is going to do their version of Burger Love tomorrow. Thanks to everyone who signed up for a meal. Which of the four selections will come out on top?
- Any Grade 12 students who have been accepted to Post Secondary Institutions and are interested in information about the Student Loan Program should plan to attend the information session on Tuesday, April 28, at 11:30 in the Library Conference Room. Students MUST sign up in Student Services prior to the session.
- There is a $1,000 bursary available for any Grade 12 student planning on attending a post secondary institution and has demonstrated leadership in environmental matters. Students should see Mrs. Kenny or Ms. Victor for an application. Deadline for application May 1, 2015.
- Credit Union Scholarship applications are due May 7. For more information and to apply online visit: https://www.provincialcu.com/Home/InOurCommunity/Scholarships/ScholarshipApp/
- Encounters with Canada forms are now available in Student Services. Interested students should see Mrs. Kenny and Ms. Victor for more information. Deadline for forms is May 8, 2015.
- E.I. Mutual Education Trust Centennial Scholarship is due May 11. For more information and an application form, please see Ms. Victor or Mrs. Kenny in Student Services.
- Good luck to all MRHS Badminton players who are competing at the PEISAA Provincial Badminton Championships tonight and Saturday at KISH and TOSH!
- Rugby players who have not yet signed up for a hoodie can do so Friday at noon in the PE office. There will be no sign up today.
- Track and Field team sign-up in the Phys. Ed. hallway. All interested athletes must sign up by next Friday!
- Men’s Rugby practice today and tomorrow at 11:50 in the gym. Everyone must be there!
- Fall and winter athlete photos are for sale for $5 in the ticket booth in the mornings. Please go purchase your photo!
- Softball practice for Men and Women today at 4:00 pm. If you cannot attend, please let Ms. Victor or Mrs. Trainor know.
- On sale in the PE office daily from 12:00-12:20 pm: Rugby shorts $30, Mouth guards $5. All rugby athletes should be wearing mouth guards to practice.
- MRHS Athletic Clothing is now on sale! All articles are buy one and get one for 50% off! Hoodies are $30, gym pants are $30, and T-shirts are $10. Athletic clothing is on sale during mornings in the ticket booth.
- MRHS Female Athlete of the Week is Kirsten Whiteway. Kirsten placed first in both singles and mixed doubles at the Zone 4 Badminton meet last week. Kirsten advances to the PEISAA Provincial Badminton Championships being held at TOSH this week.
- MRHS Male Athlete of the Week is Jonah Wilton. Jonah placed first in both singles and doubles at the Zone 4 Badminton meet last week. Jonah advances to the PEISAA Provincial Badminton Championships being held at TOSH this week.
- Badminton PEI Senior Provincials are being held on Sunday, May 3, at Three Oaks Senior High School in Summerside. Registration is at 9:15am; all players must pre-register (deadline is Thursday, April 30). Men’s and Women’s Singles, Doubles, and Mixed Doubles will be decided in single elimination with consolation, or round-robin, depending on the number of entries. Yonex Mavis 300 shuttles will be supplied. The entry fee is $30 for members for 1-3 events, and this includes a good-quality drawstring knapsack. Non members will be charged an extra $10. To enter, contact Nancy MacKinnon (854-2781) or firstname.lastname@example.org. Dress code is a solid-coloured T-shirt, shorts and indoor sneakers. No hats/caps are allowed, but headbands are permitted.
- Graduating students should visit the library for an application form for Viking Pins. Applications are due Friday, May 15, but can take time to complete! Don’t leave it until the last minute! Please see Ms. Nabuurs or Ms. Killeen with any questions. Further information available on page 15-16 of student handbook (available online at https://montaguehigh.wordpress.com/)
- Triathlon morning training sessions: Mondays and Wednesdays at the Pool, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays at the Fitness Centre.
- All students are required to pay the $20 Student Fee.
Public Service Announcements:
- Parents with family members who have a disability are invited to a workshop on wills and estates and information on Registered Disability Savings Plan (RDSP) and the Disability Tax Credit to help plan for the future. Meeting is in Montague, CBDC Boardroom, Thursday, April 23, 6:30 pm.
- Are you seeking employment? Attend the Kings County Job Fair, scheduled for Thursday, April 23, from 1:00 to 6:00 pm at the Cavendish Farms Wellness Centre. Bring your resume! This event is sponsored by SkillsPEI, Division of Innovation and Advanced Learning.
- The Treble With Girls has made it down to 225 from 3300 entries nationally in the CBC Spotlight Search and would love to have as many votes as possible http://music.cbc.ca/#!/blogs/2015/3/Searchlight-2015-voting-is-now-open. You can vote on all your devices each day Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Monday. Members include Maxine MacLennan, Sheila Fitzpatrick, Jolee Patkai, and Norman Stewart.