It’s a “D-C” Day!
Welcome to the following guest staff today: Michael Hambly for Class Composition, Donna White for Bethany MacLeod, Joseph Weale for Trisha Burrows
Mental Health Tip of the Week – Take time for your mental health! Eat breakfast. Grab a healthy snack. Drink plenty of water. Get up and move around if you have been sitting for a while. What you do to energize yourself through food, water and exercise can have a significant impact on your mental health.
- Damien Taylor, please see Mrs. Power today.
- Wits and Words Poetry Slam contestants have a rehearsal today at 11:43 in Room 211.
- There will be a Prom meeting today at 11:45 in Room 84.
- Garland’s after-school math help is postponed until Wednesday after school.
- There will be an OREO meeting today (and every day until Thursday) at lunch in Room 113. All participants must attend!
- Any students looking for work are asked to please see Earl in (Student Services) to sign up for possible employment opportunities.
- If any students are interested in volunteering in the summer as a Counsellor-In-Training at Oak Acres, please see Earl for an application.
- Spirit Week continues at MRHS:
- Tuesday: Tropical Tuesday
- Wednesday: What Not to Wear!
- Thursday: Throwback Thursday
- Friday: ER Day
- There will be a Relay for Life meeting tomorrow in Room 85. Anyone is welcome. For more information or if you can’t make it to the meeting, talk to Chloe Jardine.
- There will be an important STRIVE meeting on Thursday, April 23, at 11:45 in the Library conference room. All members are encouraged to attend.
- It’s Burger Love time at MRHS! The CUL class is going to do their version of Burger Love on Friday, April 24. There will be four choices to pick from and only ten of each choice will be available. Sign up and pay for your favourite because they’ll go fast! Cost is $8. Sign up for the meal of your choice in the ticket booth. Listen for the Burger Love announcement. Note: all Burger Love meals will be served with a bubbling grape juice to quench your thirst.
- The Meatrix: a juicy meatloaf burger with melted cheddar cheese, smoky maple BBQ sauce and crispy bacon on a fluffy Kaiser roll with a side of creamy garlic mashed PEI potatoes and paired with a tangy coleslaw. Your dessert is a refreshingly sweet mint Nanaimo bar.
- El Zorro: a seasoned 6 oz patty topped with all the classic taco fixings: crisp lettuce, sweet salsa, sour cream, banana peppers, served between freshly made tortillas with a side of Island potato wedges with gooey jalapeno cheese and pinto beans, and a Mexican chopped salad of tomatoes, avocados, crunchy bell peppers, black beans and corn. Dessert is a creamy yogurt popsicle packed with fresh fruit – designed to cleanse your palate.
- VỏoTlua (translation Noh-stima): Greek burger made with 100% PEI beef served on a toasted Ciabatta bun with crumbled Feta, Swiss cheese, crisp Romaine lettuce, thinly sliced red onion and a zingy tzatziki sauce. Sides are dollar fries made from the finest PEI potatoes and a crunchy coleslaw. Dessert is a double chocolate cookie with white chocolate chips.
- The Homestyle Delight: a 6 oz cheese stuffed PEI beef burger topped with red onion, lettuce, crispy bacon, chipotle sauce and aioli on a homemade sesame seed bun, garnished with a dill pickle and hot pepper. Served with a side of loaded potato skins (sour cream, chives, cheese, salsa) and a Caesar salad. Finish off the meal with a gooey, chewy chocolate chip cookie.
- UNB will be here on April 21 at 11:45 to present to any Grade 11 students who are starting to think about post secondary schools. Come and find out what UNB has to offer you.
- There is a $1,000 bursary available for any Grade 12 student planning on attending a post secondary institution and has demonstrated leadership in environmental matters. Students should see Mrs. Kenny or Ms. Victor for an application. Deadline for application May 1, 2015.
- Credit Union Scholarship applications are due May 7. For more information and to apply online visit: https://www.provincialcu.com/Home/InOurCommunity/Scholarships/ScholarshipApp/
- Encounters with Canada forms are now available in Student Services. Interested students should see Mrs. Kenny and Ms. Victor for more information. Deadline for forms is May 8, 2015.
- E.I. Mutual Education Trust Centennial Scholarship is due May 11. For more information and an application form, please see Ms. Victor or Mrs. Kenny in Student Services.
- Practice today and tomorrow (after school until 5:00 pm) for all Badminton players going to Provincials.
- Mandatory Men’s Softball meeting in Student Services today at morning break. If there are not enough committed players at the meeting, there will not be a team.
- Softball practice for Men and Women on Thursday at 4:00 pm. If you cannot attend, please let Ms. Victor or Mrs. Trainor know.
- On sale in the PE office daily from 12:00-12:20 pm: Rugby shorts $30, Mouth guards $5. All rugby athletes should be wearing mouth guards to practice.
- MRHS Athletic Clothing is now on sale! All articles are buy one and get one for 50% off! Hoodies are $30, gym pants are $30, and T-shirts are $10. Athletic clothing is on sale during mornings in the ticket booth.
- Men’s and women’s rugby today after school. The women will also practice on Wednesday this week.
- MRHS Female Athlete of the Week is Kirsten Whiteway. Kirsten placed first in both singles and mixed doubles at the Zone 4 Badminton meet last week. Kirsten advances to the PEISAA Provincial Badminton Championships being held at TOSH this week.
- MRHS Male Athlete of the Week is Jonah Wilton. Jonah placed first in both singles and doubles at the Zone 4 Badminton meet last week. Jonah advances to the PEISAA Provincial Badminton Championships being held at TOSH this week.
- Graduating students should visit the library for an application form for Viking Pins. Applications are due Friday, May 15, but can take time to complete! Don’t leave it until the last minute! Please see Ms. Nabuurs or Ms. Killeen with any questions. Further information available on page 15-16 of student handbook (available online at https://montaguehigh.wordpress.com/)
- Triathlon morning training sessions: Mondays and Wednesdays at the Pool, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays at the Fitness Centre.
- All students are required to pay the $20 Student Fee.
PEI Field Hockey Meeting:
- The PEI Field Hockey Association will hold an information meeting for players interested in representing PEI at the U-18 Field Hockey National in Vancouver, BC, from August 5 to 9, and to see if there is interest for U-16 Field Hockey Nationals in Brampton, Ontario, from July 28 to August 1.
- The information meeting will be held at Sport PEI, Room 125, on Wednesday, April 22, at 7:30 pm. Parents must attend (U-18 born in 1997, U-16 born in 1999). If interested but unable to attend, please contact Barb at email@example.com.
Public Service Announcements:
- The YMCA Summer Work Exchange Program is currently accepting applications from 16-17 year olds and Charlottetown-area host families for this summer’s six week exchange to a Quebec community. Successful applicants are matched with a full-time position with a non-profit organization and a host family in their new Quebec community. Apply at http://www.summer-work.comor attend an information session on Wednesday April 22, at 7:00 pm at the Royalty Centre in Charlottetown (40 Enman Crescent, Room 234).