It’s a “D-C” Day!
Welcome to the following guest staff today: Michael Hambly for Matt Killeen, Hailey Butler for Harris Campbell, Kirsten Walker for Rod MacDonald (pm), Tracy Schurman for Dawn Martell.
Happy Birthday to Bailey Clements, Isaiah Mahar, Marcus Miller, Landon Thaxter, Michael VanderZwaag. Belated greetings to the following students who celebrated their birthdays over this past weekend: Dillan Bourgeois, Cody Taylor and Lucas Cann.
Congratulations to Rose Henbest! As our English school champion for Poetry in Voice, Rose competed in the online semi-finals and has been selected to represent P.E.I. at the National Finals in Montreal in April. Poetry in Voice is a national poetry recitation contest funded by Scott Griffin and the Griffin Trust for Excellence in Poetry. This year 384 schools from across Canada participated, and Rose is one of 18 students chosen to compete in the national finals. Congratulations and best of luck, Rose!
Could the following students see Mr. Hayes in room 129 during the morning break: Lexy Mooney, Maria Ferguson, Ally Clements, Alyta VandenBroek,, Morganne Rice, Maddy Delodder, Jenna Schellekens.
• The elections for Student Council are being held during A Block tomorrow. Interviews for candidates will be held at lunch and the results will be announced at the end of the day. Best of luck to all of our candidates: Hannah Glover, Chloe Jardine, John Ployer, Amanda Gormley, and Emma Collings!!
• Student Council will be hosting a dessert party in the Cafeteria from 6:30 to 8:00pm this Tuesday, March 31. All you can eat dessert for only $5! Also, all the items from our recent Student Council Facebook Silent Auction will be available for pick-up that evening.
• The Culinary class has changed the dates of meals being prepared. Cost is $8, order in advance.
o Thursday, April 2: Greek salad with lettuce, juicy tomatoes, black olives, feta cheese and zesty vinaigrette, tender meatballs in a sweet and sour sauce, Greek couscous filled with tomatoes and spices, crunchy colourful stir-fry filled with carrots, broccoli and peppers, crispy soft pretzel, sweet shortbread cookie served with a bright sorbet, and a cup of nectar to satisfy your thirst.
o Friday, April 10: Roasted butternut squash soup, garnished with sour cream and chives, savoury pork stir fry served on jasmine rice, chocolate dipped cheesecake and stuffed strawberries, topped off with a refreshing watermelon lemonade.
• Grade 12 Students: You should be consistently checking the board in Student Services for scholarships and bursaries to apply for. Many deadlines are the end of March.
• There is a $1,000 bursary available for any Grade 12 student planning on attending a post secondary institution and has demonstrated leadership in environmental matters. Students should see Mrs. Kenny or Ms. Victor for an application. Deadline for application May 1, 2015.
• Deadline for March Scholastic book orders is this Wednesday.
• Congratulations to the following students who competed at the PEI Open Wrestling Championships on Saturday: Kaytlin Chandler – Gold, Keegan Creed – Gold, Zak Chandler – Silver
• Women’s Rugby today at 3:15pm.
• Important women’s rugby team meeting in Mr. Munn’s room (Room 210) at morning break. Practice today after school.
• Good luck to the school hockey teams who play their first games tonight. The women take on Kinkora in Kensington at 7:10 pm. The men take on Bluefield at UPEI at 8:45 pm.
• Girl’s Hockey: A brief meeting and jersey pick up at beginning of lunch in Student Services.
• Tomorrow’s hockey games: Men vs. Souris @ 5;15 pm in Montague. Women vs. TOSH @ 7:55 pm in Montague. If you are interested in working the clock at these games please see Ms. Nabuurs today! Pay is $20 per game.
• Badminton practice on Tuesday at 3:10
• Men’s Rugby meeting Wednesday at lunch in Mr. C’s classroom
• Men’s Rugby practice on Wednesday and Thursday at 3:15pm.
• The MRHS Male Athlete of the Week for the week before March break is Christian Howe of the Power Lifting Team. Christian trained hard leading into the Provincial Championships and was the top lifter for MRHS at the meet.
• The MRHS Female Athlete of the Week is Grace Boyce of the Power Lifting Team. Grace finished in the top three of her division at the Provincial Championships.
• Triathlon morning training sessions: Mondays and Wednesdays at the Pool, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays at the Fitness Centre.
• Athletic Wear is on sale from the Student Store most days from 10:30am to noon. T-Shirts and hats are priced at $10 while hoodies and sweatpants sell for $30. Students should see Cassie!
• All students are required to pay the $20 Student Fee.