It’s a “C-D” Day!
Welcome to the following guest staff today: Amy McCarron for Lynn Hayes, Ellen MacCannell for Lianne Garland, Denise McGillivray for Gail Greene (pm), Michael Hambly for Karen Malone.
Happy Birthday to Sophia Brothers and Johann Victor.
Congratulations to our Skills PEI Winners who were recognized at an award ceremony last evening. Winners should listen for an announcement regarding a photo shoot.
- Daniel Grant – Gold, Aerospace Essentials
- Christian Howe – Gold, Workplace Safety
- Dean Hicken – Gold, Welding
- Cody Powers – Silver, Automotive Service
- Landon Thaxter – Bronze, Cooking
- Taylor MacLean – Bronze, Welding
Attn: Louis Walsh Driver Ed Students: Due to the storms, there are changes to the sessions. There are no classes on March 17 or March 24. Starting March 31, you will have the last five sessions. This will mean that you will finish April 28. The last five classes are for everyone.
Cover Art Wanted: MRHS is producing Footloose: The Musical this year and we are in need of COVER ART for our promotional posters and programs! The winning design will also be featured in newsprint and online and maybe more! Details below:
- Your design can be hand drawn or created digitally!
- Your design must include elements of the show. For further details and a description, please see Mrs. Power in (Learning Centre B) for a handout!
- It must be submitted no later than 3pm on March 23, 2015.
- Entries will be voted on and selected by March 27, 2015.
- Cafeteria will not be open for afternoon break today.
- The Culinary meal is still being prepared today. There are approximately fifteen meals not sold, so these will be available for anyone who forgot their lunches today.
- March Break runs from March 16 to 20 this year. Students will return to class on Monday, March 23, and it will be a “D-C” Day!
- Looking for something to do over the March break? “Montague High is one of three High Schools on the Island who support Canadian Blood Services through the Young Blood For Life High School Recruitment Challenge. Montague has an annual pledge of donating 60 units of blood or plasma by students, staff, family and alumni. To date 68 people have joined as a member to help Montague High achieve this goal. If you are currently a donor, please direct your donation toward Montague High by joining as a member in the partnership at blood.ca. Use the ID number MONT014360 or ask for a form at your next donation. Canadian Blood Services is located on 85 Fitzroy Street in Charlottetown and has 63 appointments available over the March Break. If you are over 17 and have never donated, please consider booking your first appointment to save a life over March Break. After the winter we’ve had, every donation counts.”
- Silent Auction: Make a bid on a wide variety of items for the MRHS Student Council Facebook Silent Auction! Join the facebook page by searching “MRHS Student Council’s Silent Auction” and join! Students with questions can talk to Ms. MacLeod, Noah Perry, Michelle MacLennan or Sierra Belong.
- Students are reminded to clean out their lockers before March break…. time to tidy! All items in the lost and found bin are now displayed in the lobby and will be donated/discarded during the break as well.
- The president election for Student Council will be held during A Block on Wednesday, March 25. Interviews for candidates will be held at lunch and the results will be announced at the end of the day. Best of luck to all of our candidates: Hannah Glover, Chloe Jardine, John Ployer, Tyson Sheppard, Amanda Gormley and Emma Collings!!
- The Culinary class will be serving the following meals in the weeks ahead. Cost is $8, order in advance.
- This Friday, March 13: Soft bread sticks with poppin’ seasoning, twice-baked potatoes with bacon bits, green onion sour cream and cheddar, sweet and savoury honey garlic glazed chicken, red velvet cupcakes and thirst-quenching iced tea with lemon.
- Friday, March 27: Greek salad with lettuce, juicy tomatoes, black olives, feta cheese and zesty vinaigrette, tender meatballs in a sweet and sour sauce, Greek couscous filled with tomatoes and spices, crunchy colourful stir-fry filled with carrots, broccoli and peppers, crispy soft pretzel, sweet shortbread cookie served with a bright sorbet, and a cup of nectar to satisfy your thirst.
- Thursday, April 2: Roaster butternut squash soup, garnished with sour cream and chives, savoury pork stir fry served on jasmine rice, chocolate dipped cheesecake and stuffed strawberries, topped off with a refreshing watermelon lemonade.
- Students and staff are asked to please stop by the Library to make a suggestion for new books. Mrs. Killeen is creating a new book order! Fill out a slip this week!
- Scholastic book orders for the month of March have arrived and are due Wednesday, March 25.
- Check out the new library display case for St. Patrick’s Day reads that are all available for loan. Special thanks to Leanna Hambly for her hard work.
- The Female Athletes of the Week are Carley MacLean and Molly Stewart. Both girls were key players in the basketball team’s playoff run and were named PEISAA Provincial Tournament All Stars.
- Male Co-Athletes of the Week: Kyle Parlee , Grade 11 Guard, and Dyllin Bernard, Grade 10 Forward, were instrumental in the Vikings’ final push into the playoffs. Their hard word in practice, dedication to improving their skills and their determination in our last regular season games helped to lift the team into the AA playoffs, and a quarter final upset of Charlottetown Rural last week. Their effort continued into the Provincial Championship tournament, where their play got the Vikings to within one point of the AA bronze medal before falling to Morell 70-69 on Wednesday. A special thanks to Team Manager, Kenny Richard, for helping the team prepare for games, and the Coaches with video and practice setup. Congratulations to all members on the Men’s Basketball team for a fine season.
- Dalhousie’s Faculty of Agriculture invites you to learn more about what will make your agricultural campus experience unique. Observe a class, let them show you around the campus and get your questions answered. Future AG Student Days will be held on March 18 or 20, April 10, 17, or 24. For more information please visit dal.ca/futureagstudents
- The YMCA Summer Work Student Exchange is a national 6 week exchange program that brings together youth from various communities across the country. Participating youth, aged 16 and 17, have the opportunity to improve their second official language skills, and gain important employment experience through a work placement while on their exchange. Students will live in host families and participate in fun outings in their host community on weekends. Cost for the program is $100. Apply at: summer-work.com or contact Atlantic Support Coordinator, Megan Burnside at 902-314-1214 for more information.
- Triathlon schedule for morning training sessions: Mondays and Wednesdays at the Pool, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays at the Fitness Centre.
- Athletic Wear is on sale from the Student Store most days from 10:30am to noon. T-Shirts and hats are priced at $10 while hoodies and sweatpants sell for $30. Students should see Cassie!
- The IWK/QEH Toy Drive is on! Donations of new toys and money will be accepted this week! Anyone with donations or questions can see Breanna Ching or Stephanie Hinks. Thank you in advance for your support!
- All students are required to pay the $20 Student Fee.