It’s a “D-C” Day!
Welcome the following guest staff today: Michael Hambly for Bethany MacLeod (am), Jessica Campbell for Anne MacKinnon (pm), and Ellen MacCannell for Sharon Anderson.
Happy Birthday to Alisha MacDonald and Alyssa Thaxter. Belated greetings to Jory Donovan who celebrated her birthday yesterday.
• All potential Disney Choir members must now have their contracts and trip deposits in to Ms. McInnis.
• Congratulations to Ms. MacLeod’s Hospitality and Tourism class for accepting and SURPASSING the challenge from Ms. Hicken’s Child Care class!! Thank you to all who helped make the cake auction so successful (especially Mr. Ryan Ferguson!!). We raised $268.51 for the IWK. So… now we would like to challenge Ms. Beck’s Vocal Music class. You have until Friday, October 31st. Try and beat us :)!!
• The following students are asked to please see Ms. MacLeod today before lunch: Patricia Crant, Merissa Rayner, and Connor Fitzpatrick.
Today’s Cafeteria $5 Special: Chicken nuggets with your choice of pasta salad, spicy potato wedges or curly fries. Tomorrow’s special will be sweet ‘n sour chicken balls, chicken fried rice and an eggroll.
This week is Fall Fest!
• Monday: PJ Day, movie at 6:30pm
• Tuesday: Tacky Tuesday, haunted halls after school (admission is a food donation)
• Wednesday: Workout Wednesday
• Thursday: Black and Orange Day
• Friday: Dress up in your Hallowe’en costumes (no masks or weapons)
• October 27 — UNB Fredericton will be doing a lunchtime presentation today for all interested students in the Library Conference room. Please sign up in Student Services. The session will begin at 11:45; please plan to take your lunches with you.
• October 28 — UNB Fredericton will be hosting a Parent and Student Night at 7:00pm at the Delta Prince Edward in Charlottetown.
• November 7 — Dalhousie Faculty of Agriculture is having an Open House.
• November 15 from 10:00am to 2:00pm – Holland College is having an Open House. You must register online at hollandcollege.com/campus-tour. Bring your applications and resume and they will waive your registration fee. If you have any questions please come see Ms. MacGregor-Harris or Ms. Victor.
• Wrestling: No practice today or Wednesday. Next practice is Monday, November 3 from 4:00 to 5:30 at Montague Consolidated School.
• The Field Hockey Team will take on Colonel Gray in semi-final action today at 6 pm at the Cornwall turf. Come out and cheer them on!
• The Men’s and Women’s Soccer quarterfinal games against TOSH have been postponed until Tuesday at 4:00 pm at MRHS.
• The Women’s Soccer team will not practice today.
• The following students have outstanding athletic fees. Payment due to Ms. Nabuurs or the main office immediately:
o Men’s Soccer: Matthew Quinn, Milo Ryan
o Women’s Field Hockey: Chloe Chapman, Bethany MacKenzie
o Men’s Volleyball: Patrick Walsh, Jake Banks
o Men’s Baseball: Colin MacIntyre, Dean Hicken, Max Morrison
o Golf: Maria Ferguson, Riley Lavandier
o Cross Country: William Henbest, Morganne Rice, Patrick Walsh, Donavan Bears, Amanda Gormley, Sarah MacRae, Sarah Christensen
• Dodgeball Action Today: Dodge the Bounty Hunter vs A-Team. Next game is on Wednesday when Hit Me Up play Klumsy Kyle.
• All baseball players must return their uniforms to Ms. Nabuurs this week, Friday latest!
• New: Caring Hearts Club! Do you like helping others” Do you want to make a difference? Join the Caring Hearts Club! First meeting is Thursday at noon in Mr. MacPhee’s Room, No.224, all are welcome! Contact Breanna Ching for more details.
• Any students who have signed up for Strive are asked to meet in Student Services Thursday, October 30th at 12:00 pm. Please see Ms MacGregor Harris or Ms Victor if you cannot be present.
• Culinary Meal: Following is the menu for the remaining first round Culinary meal scheduled for Friday, October 31. Sign up for the $8 meal will be at the ticket booth in the lobby at noon. Menu: Garden salad made with spring mix, sweet chopped red peppers and fresh grated mozzarella cheese, bruschetta (toasted baguette topped with tomatoes, garlic and basil), marinated chicken kebabs served with white rice, creamy no-bake cheesecake with a graham crumb finish topped with strawberries, and a tropical strawberry banana smoothies.
• Retakes are scheduled for Monday, November 3 (morning).
• This is Library Week! Today’s Quote: “To read a book for the first time is to make an acquaintance with a new friend: to read it for a second time is to meet an old one.” (Anonymous, Chinese Saying)
o Monday- “Guess the Number of Books in the Library” contest!
o Tuesday- Library puzzles for prizes!
o Wednesday- Homeroom trivia challenge
o Thursday- Free book draw!
o Friday- Dress as your favorite literary character and get a chance to win a free book!
• Students are encouraged to check out the following website for into on poster and literary contests offered through The Canadian Legion. Here’s your chance to win a trip for two to Ottawa for the National Remembrance day Ceremony on Nov 11! See Mrs. Killeen for more details, registration forms and brochures. http://www.legion.ca/youth/contests/
• Postcards for Peace is a learning activity in which youth send messages of thanks to those who served and those who continue to serve Canada in times of war, military conflict and peace. If students wish to send a postcard to a veteran, the Library will cover the cost of the postage. Postcards should contain an appropriate message and no personal information should be shared. Please get your postcard in the Library and return it by Thursday, November 6. See Mrs. Killeen for more details. Parents and community members will have an opportunity to fill one out Thursday evening, November 6, at Parent-Teacher interviews.
• All students are required to pay a $20 Student Fee. Payment may be made at the main office.
• Super Saver Books: Super saver books are now on sale for $10. If you are interested in purchasing a booklet, please see a student council member or see Mrs. Hicken.
• SPC Cards: SPC cards will be on sale until this Friday, October 24. Please pick yours up in Room #133 before this time.
• Students are advised that the “Lost and Found” bin in the main lobby will be emptied once a month and the contents discarded and/or donated. If you are missing any items, please check this box.
• UPEI Nursing students, Natasha McHerron and Jennifer Morrison-Ryan, are working out of Room 220 (Teacher Prep Room beside Staff Room). Have a Question? Concern? Issue? Need to chat? Come see them in Room #202 and ask for Jenn and Tash or email them at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
• Any students who would like to have a peer tutor, please see Ms. Beck in Learning Centre B.
• Homework Club is available every day in Learning Centre B from 12:00-12:20.
• Students may make requests for the “Friday Song”. Requests have to be submitted no later than Thursday to Noah Hoskins, Colton Matheson, or Ms. Natasha Nabuurs.
Public Service Announcements:
• Island STORM Basketball Team Inter-squad Game: Sunday, November 2, at 1 pm at Montague Regional High School. Admission: $3 Student, $5 Adult, $10 Family Rate, and U6 free.
• Abeqweit Driving School will be offering a course beginning November 3 at MRHS. Classes are Mondays and Wednesdays 3:15 – 6:30. Call 902-566-1482 to register.