It’s a “C-D” Day!
Welcome the following guest staff today: Adam Clow for Kelly Pike, Michael Hambly for Lianne Garland, Dean Lackie for Anne MacKinnon, Michael Brothers for Chantelle Beaton (pm), Brian Crane for Yvonne Higgins, and Wanda Cheverie for Toby Murphy.
Happy Birthday to Dean Carroll.
• Envirothon meeting today at noon in Room #131: Aquatic Wildlife with Mr. Trainor.
• JAM meeting today at the beginning of lunch in Learning Center B.
• Student Council will meet in Room 133 today at 11:45am.
• The MRHS Disney Choir will be hosting the Haunted Corn Maze at Chuckwagon Farms in Eldon today and tomorrow from 7:30 to 10:30 pm. Tickets are $12 each. Come get the scare of your life!!
Cafeteria’s $5 Special Next Monday: Chicken nuggets with your choice of pasta salad, spicy potato wedges or curly fries.
• October 24 – Open House: Undergraduates – University of King’s College
• October 26 – Open House: McGill University. Register online at http://www.mcgill.ca/openhouse/register
• October 27 — UNB Fredericton will be doing a lunchtime presentation for all interested students in the Library Conference room. Please sign up in Student Services. The session will begin at 11:45; please plan to take your lunches with you.
• October 28 — UNB Fredericton will be hosting a Parent and Student Night at 7:00pm at the Delta Prince Edward in Charlottetown.
• November 7 — Dalhousie Faculty of Agriculture is having an Open House.
• November 15 from 10:00am to 2:00pm – Holland College is having an Open House. You must register online at hollandcollege.com/campus-tour. Bring your applications and resume and they will waive your registration fee. If you have any questions please come see Ms. MacGregor-Harris or Ms. Victor.
• The following students have outstanding athletic fees. Payment due to Ms. Nabuurs or the main office immediately:
o Men’s Soccer: Matthew Quinn, Milo Ryan
o Women’s Field Hockey: Chloe Chapman, Bethany MacKenzie
o Men’s Volleyball: Patrick Walsh, Jake Banks
o Men’s Baseball: Colin MacIntyre, Dean Hicken, Max Morrison
o Golf: Maria Ferguson, Riley Lavandier
o Cross Country: William Henbest, Morganne Rice, Patrick Walsh, Donavan Bears, Amanda Gormley, Sarah MacRae, Sarah Christensen
• Men’s Viking Volleyball Team defeated TOSH 3-0 (25-18, 28-26, 25-20) last night at home. The teams greatly improved defence is to credit for the win. Tonight, they take on MRHS Alumni at 5:00pm.
• The MRHS Male Athlete of the Week is Marcus Miller. Marcus scored twice, including the game winner in a 4-3 victory over Westisle last week. Marcus also scored in a defeat of O Poly EW Losier in the Colonel Gray tournament.
• The MRHS Female Athletes of the Week are Emma Collings and Chloe Chapman.
o Emma Collings is a dedicated member of the Women’s Soccer team and scored two goals last week, one against TOSH and one against Souris.
o Chloe Chapman scored the 2 goals in a 2-0 win for the Field Hockey team in their last regular season game against Bluefield.
• Dodgeball Action Today: Crash Test Dummies play Semi Pro
• The Field Hockey Team will take on Colonel Gray in semi-final action on Monday, October 27, at 6 pm at the Cornwall turf. Come out and cheer them on!
• The MRHS Women’s Soccer Team will play TOSH at home in quarter final action at 4:00 on Monday. Come on out to cheer them on!
• All baseball players must return their uniforms to Ms. Nabuurs next week.
• All potential Disney Choir members must have their contracts and trip deposits in to Ms. McInnis by Monday, October 27, at the very latest.
• Any Disney Choir members who are selling Christmas basket raffle tickets can pick them up from Ms. Beck.
• Culinary Meal: Following is the menu for the remaining first round Culinary meal. Sign up for the $8 meal will be at the ticket booth in the lobby at noon.
o Friday, October 31: Garden salad made with spring mix, sweet chopped red peppers and fresh grated mozzarella cheese, bruschetta (toasted baguette topped with tomatoes, garlic and basil), marinated chicken kebabs served with white rice, creamy no-bake cheesecake with a graham crumb finish topped with strawberries, and a tropical strawberry banana smoothies.
• October 27 to 31 is 2014 Library Week! More details will be featured in daily announcements next week.
o Monday- “Guess the Number of Books in the Library” contest!
o Tuesday- Library puzzles for prizes!
o Wednesday- Homeroom trivia challenge
o Thursday- Free book draw!
o Friday- Dress as your favorite literary character and get a chance to win a free book!
• Students are encouraged to check out the following website for into on poster and literary contests offered through The Canadian Legion. Here’s your chance to win a trip for two to Ottawa for the National Remembrance day Ceremony on Nov 11! See Mrs. Killeen for more details, registration forms and brochures. http://www.legion.ca/youth/contests/
• Students and staff: we’re looking for your book recommendations in the library. We’ve started a new display “Hooked on Reading” inside the library and hope to get a full bulletin board over the next several weeks!
You don’t need to complete a super long book review…just a general suggestion (title, author, theme, length, description of favourite characters or setting) on an index card. Why do you love it? Why should we try it? That sort of thing. It’s wide open and a work in progress! You don’t even have to include your name. You may win a free book for your efforts! See Mrs. Killeen for more info!
• Student Essay Contest: Imagine you have the power to fix the biggest problem in the world. In two pages or less, describe the problem and what you would do about it. Enter for a chance to win a trip to Toronto to see a special advance screening of the movie, “The Hunger Games: Mockingjay”. Contest ends this Friday, October 24, 2014. Visit the Library and ask Mrs. Killeen for more information about this writing contest.
• Postcards for Peace is a learning activity in which youth send messages of thanks to those who served and those who continue to serve Canada in times of war, military conflict and peace. If students wish to send a postcard to a veteran, the Library will cover the cost of the postage. Postcards should contain an appropriate message and no personal information should be shared. Please get your postcard in the Library and return it by Thursday, November 6. See Mrs. Killeen for more details. Parents and community members will have an opportunity to fill one out Thursday evening, November 6, at Parent-Teacher interviews.
• All students are required to pay a $20 Student Fee. Payment may be made at the main office.
• Super Saver Books: Super saver books are now on sale for $10. If you are interested in purchasing a booklet, please see a student council member or see Mrs. Hicken.
• SPC Cards: SPC cards will be on sale until this Friday, October 24. Please pick yours up in Room #133 before this time.
• Students are advised that the “Lost and Found” bin in the main lobby will be emptied once a month and the contents discarded and/or donated. If you are missing any items, please check this box.
• UPEI Nursing students, Natasha McHerron and Jennifer Morrison-Ryan, are working out of Room 220 (Teacher Prep Room beside Staff Room). Have a Question? Concern? Issue? Need to chat? Come see them in Room #202 and ask for Jenn and Tash or email them at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
• Any students who would like to have a peer tutor, please see Ms. Beck in Learning Centre B.
• Homework Club is available every day in Learning Centre B from 12:00-12:20.
• Students may make requests for the “Friday Song”. Requests have to be submitted no later than Thursday to Noah Hoskins, Colton Matheson, or Ms. Natasha Nabuurs.
Public Service Announcements:
• Midget A Hockey will have ice time at Cavendish Farms Wellness Center on Sunday at 8:10pm.
• Island STORM Basketball Team Inter-squad Game: Sunday, November 2, at 1 pm at Montague Regional High School. Admission: $3 Student, $5 Adult, $10 Family Rate, and U6 free.
• Abeqweit Driving School will be offering a course beginning November 3 at MRHS. Classes are Mondays and Wednesdays 3:15 – 6:30. Call 902-566-1482 to register.
• Biathlon PEI 2014 Run & Shoot: Brookvale Provincial Park on Sunday, October 26. Registration is from 8:00 to 8:45am, Safety Briefing at 9:00am, Races at 10:00am, with Awards at 12:00noon. Rifles and ammo supplied by BPEI; four different categories/levels. All funds raised at this years’ event will go to the Canada Winter Games Biathlon team as they prepare to compete in BC and QC.
• Come out for a “Night of Terror” hosted by Atlantic Fitness East on Sunday, October 26. Doors are open from 7:00 to 11:00pm. Cost is $5 for ages 12+ and $3 for children. Proceeds go to building maintenance! Drop by for your fill of fear before Hallowe’en even darkens your doorstep! If you have any questions, call AFE at (902) 838-3047.
• Junior Curling registration will be held at the Montague Curling Club today, Oct.24, at 6:00 to 8:00pm. If you cannot make this, please stop by the Curling Club, or email Larry at firstname.lastname@example.org. Grades 2 to 6 curl on Tuesday and Thursdays, right after school. Grades 7 to 12 curl on Mondays and Wednesdays right after school. Curling starts on the first week of November. Try a sport you can enjoy for your whole life.