It’s a “D-C” Day!
Welcome the following guest staff today: Janet MacDougall-Turner for Bethany MacLeod (pm), Hailey Butler for Anne MacKinnon, Mike Hambly for Mary Ellen Campbell, Wanda Cheverie for Gail Johnston, Amy Beck for Seana Evans-Renaud.
Happy Birthday to Lachlainn deMontbrun, Kassidy Kerr and Kendra Kerr.
- Change in today’s lunch times: Lunch will run from 11:30am to 12:15pm today only. This will allow time for Career Day preparations.
- Biology 521: Those students who need to write Mr. Trainor’s Biology 521 test should go to Room 131 at 11:40am to write their test.
- All student council MUST see Mrs. Hicken today to pick up some important information.
- SADD meeting at 12:00 today in Room 224.
- Career Day today from 1:15 to 3:00 pm. Post-secondary Schools and organizations will be here at MRHS to talk to students about future plans.
- Post-Secondary Night for Parents – Thursday, October 16 at 6:30 pm at Bluefield High School.
- Friday, October 17 – Acadia University is hosting an Open House. Students can get on the spot admission with a copy of their transcript.
- October 18 – UNB Fredericton Open House 10:00 am – 1:00 pm at Currie Centre – For more details visit unb.ca/openhousefr (Enter to win a $2,500 Tuition Credit and a Macbook Air or an i Pad Mini).
- October 24 – Open House: Undergraduates – University of King’s College
- October 26 – Open House: McGill University. Register online at http://www.mcgill.ca/openhouse/register
- October 27 — UNB Fredericton will be doing a lunchtime presentation for all interested students in the Library Conference room. Please sign up in Student Services. The session will begin at 11:45; please plan to take your lunches with you.
- October 28 — UNB Fredericton will be hosting a Parent and Student Night at 7:00pm at the Delta Prince Edward in Charlottetown.
- November 7 — Dalhousie Faculty of Agriculture is having an Open House.
- November 15 from 10:00am to 2:00pm – Holland College will be hosting an Open House Campus Tour Day. Students must register in order to attend at HollandCollege.com/campus-tour.
- Saint Mary’s University has three faculty specific Open Houses: one for Arts and Environmental Studies, one for Commerce and for Science and Engineering. Please check their website for more information.
- Loran Scholarship – 30 scholarships valued up to $80,000. Applications are due to Student Services by Wednesday, October 8, 2014.
- Staff and students, if you have items you would like to add to the Library Remembrance Day display case, please see Mrs. Killeen. Special thank you to Cassandra McGillivrary for assisting with this display case.
- Island students age 9 to 15 (as of August 15, 2015) have until Monday, October 20, at 11:59 p.m. to submit an original essay or video on ‘How Colonel Hadfield has inspired your pride and sense of being Canadian.’ Student submissions will be grouped in categories; age 9 to 12 and age 13 to 15 (as of August 15, 2015). Each category will have one grand prize winner who will receive a six day space camp trip at the Cosmodome in Laval, Quebec. Select contest entrants will be invited to an exclusive meet and greet with Col. Hadfield at the Mack on October 30 at 11 a.m. where the winners will be announced. – See more at: http://www.confederationcentre.com/en/news-read-more.php?news=572#sthash.2AtvlfOw.dpuf or see Mrs. Killeen for more details. Registration forms and additional information is available at confederationcentre.com/hadfieldessay. Students must submit their essays or videos to email@example.com.
- Students and staff: we’re looking for your book recommendations in the library. We’ve started a new display “Hooked on Reading” inside the library and hope to get a full bulletin board over the next several weeks!
You don’t need to complete a super long book review…just a general suggestion (title, author, theme, length, description of favourite characters or setting) on an index card. Why do you love it? Why should we try it? That sort of thing. It’s wide open and a work in progress! See Mrs. Killeen for more info!
- Student Essay Contest: Imagine you have the power to fix the biggest problem in the world. In two pages or less, describe the problem and what you would do about it. Enter for a chance to win a trip to Toronto to see a special advance screening of the movie, “The Hunger Games: Mockingjay”. Contest ends next Friday, October 24, 2014. Visit the Library and ask Mrs. Killeen for more information about this writing contest.
- Postcards for Peace is a learning activity in which youth send messages of thanks to those who served and those who continue to serve Canada in times of war, military conflict and peace. You can order Postcards for Peace free of charge from Veterans Affairs Canada. If students wish to send a postcard to a veteran, the Library will cover the cost of the postage. Postcards should contain an appropriate message and no personal information should be shared. Please get your postcard in the Library and return it by Thursday, November 6. See Mrs. Killeen for more details. Parents and community members will have an opportunity to fill one out during Thursday, November 6, at Parent-Teacher interviews.
- The MRHS Women’s Soccer Team defeated TOSH 5-3 last night. Sarah MacVarish scored 4 goals and Emma Collings scored 1. Next home game is tonight at 4:00 against Evangeline.
- Congrats to the Field Hockey team for winning 3-2 over TOSH. Morganne Rice had 2 goals and Deanna Morris had her first field hockey goal.
- The MRHS Male Athlete of the Week is Will Henbest. Will placed first by a large margin in the Senior Men’s division at the Zone Cross Country meet last week. He will compete at the Provincial Cross Country Championships on Thursday.
- The MRHS Female Athlete of the Week is Ally Clements. Ally placed first in the Juvenile Women’s division at the Zone Cross Country meet, where she also ran faster than all in the Juvenile Men’s division. Ally will compete at the Provincial Cross Country Championships on Thursday.
- Dodgeball Action Today: Who Hit The Dodge Out play No Hit Sherlock. Next game is on Friday when Hit Me Up vs Ball of Duty.
- Today’s Home Games:
- Women’s Soccer against Evangeline at 4:00pm
- Men’s and Women’s Volleyball against Westisle at 5:00pm
- Men’s Soccer against Westisle at 5:00pm
- The Cross Country team bus will depart for the provincial meet at 11:15 am tomorrow.
- We are still looking for female and male Power Lifters. Students with questions are asked to see Earl in Student Services or show up for a practice this Thursday right after school. It’s never too late.
- All students are required to pay a $20 Student Fee. Payment may be made at the main office.
- School Photos: The deadline for returning school picture orders is Tuesday, October 21. Students are to return orders in sealed envelopes to home room teachers. Home room teachers will be asked to submit all orders to Mrs. Killeen at the end of A Block on the October 21. Retake date is on Monday, October 27 (morning). If students do not like their photo, they must hold on to their original envelope until that date.
- Super Saver Books: Super saver books are now on sale for $10. If you are interested in purchasing a booklet, please see a student council member or see Mrs. Hicken.
- SPC Cards: SPC cards will be on sale until Friday, October 24. Please pick yours up in Room #133 before this time.
- Students are advised that the “Lost and Found” bin in the main lobby will be emptied once a month and the contents discarded and/or donated. If you are missing any items, please check this box.
- UPEI Nursing students, Natasha McHerron and Jennifer Morrison-Ryan, are working out of Room 220 (Teacher Prep Room beside Staff Room). Have a Question? Concern? Issue? Need to chat? Come see them in Room #202 and ask for Jenn and Tash or email them at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
- Any students who would like to have a peer tutor, please see Ms. Beck in Learning Centre B.
- Homework Club is available every day in Learning Centre B from 12:00-12:20.
- Students may make requests for the “Friday Song”. Requests have to be submitted no later than Thursday to Noah Hoskins, Colton Matheson, or Ms. Natasha Nabuurs.
- Here Comes Treble will be rehearsing at 7:30 Thursday morning and will not be rehearsing on Friday morning.
- Peer Helpers: There are Block Meetings scheduled for Thursday this week.
- Grad Photos: Heckbert Studios will be here this Thursday, October 16, to pick up photo orders. Please note that they will be here during lunch break only and will be located in Ms. McLane’s room, No. 229.
- Culinary Meals: For you planners….. following is the schedule for the first round of the Culinary meals; the dates are firm (barring disaster), the menus may be tweaked as time goes on. All meals are $8. Sign up for meals will be at the ticket booth in the lobby at noon. Look for posters each week for more details and listen to the PA announcements. Save these dates:
- Friday, October 17: Tomato watermelon salad with crumbled feta, juicy chicken pieces slathered in a roasted pepper and maple BBQ sauce, cheddar and onion perogies, sweet lemon meringue tart, and sparkling citrus drink.
- Friday, October 24: Fresh spinach salad with strawberries and apples and a homemade pomegranate vinaigrette, spaghetti and meatballs in a delicious made from scratch tomato sauce, garlic herb bread, chocolaty fudge brownies, and luscious slush punch.
- Friday, October 31: Garden salad with cherry tomatoes, carrots, cucumber and celery with our ranch dressing, herb foccacia bread, Italian stew (made with macaroni, beef, carrots, tomatoes and cheese), warm apple crisp topped with whipped cream and cinnamon, and sunshine juice (a colourful mixture of orange and cranberry).
- Thursday, November 6: Fruit cocktail (a delicious blend of at least pineapple, grapes, pears, peaches and apples), bruschetta (toasted baguette topped with a tomato, garlic and basil mixture), marinated chicken kebabs served with white rice, creamy cheesecake and tropical strawberry banana smoothies.
Public Service Announcements:
- Tryouts for Georgetown Midget AA will be held tonight (October 15) at 9:00pm in Souris.
- Come out for a “Night of Terror” hosted by Atlantic Fitness East on Sunday, October 26. Doors are open from 7:00 to 11:00pm. Cost is $5 for ages 12+ and $3 for children. Proceeds go to building maintenance! Drop by for your fill of fear before Hallowe’en even darkens your doorstep! If you have any questions, call AFE at (902) 838-3047.