It’s a “C-D” Day!
Welcome the following guest staff today: Mike Hambly for Chantelle Beaton, Wanda Cheverie for Pauline Kelly.
Happy Belated Birthday to the following students who celebrated their birthdays over this past weekend: Ethan MacKay, Deanna Morris, Taylor Ferguson.
- Career Day is happening tomorrow from 1:15 to 3:00 pm. Post-secondary Schools and organizations will be here at MRHS to talk to students about future plans.
- Post-Secondary Night for Parents – Thursday, October 16 at 6:30 pm at Bluefield High School.
- Friday, October 17 – Acadia University is hosting an Open House. Students can get on the spot admission with a copy of their transcript.
- October 18 – UNB Fredericton Open House 10:00 am – 1:00 pm at Currie Centre – For more details visit unb.ca/openhousefr (Enter to win a $2,500 Tuition Credit and a Macbook Air or an i Pad Mini).
- October 24 – Open House: Undergraduates – University of King’s College
- October 26 – Open House: McGill University. Register online at http://www.mcgill.ca/openhouse/register
- November 15 from 10:00 am – 2 pm – Holland College will be hosting an Open House Campus Tour Day. Students must register in order to attend at HollandCollege.com/campus-tour.
- Loran Scholarship – 30 scholarships valued up to $80,000. Applications are due to Student Services by Wednesday, October 8, 2014.
- Students: please return overdue items in the hall drop box. You can renew materials at break or lunch time, not during class time.
- Postcards for Peace is a learning activity in which youth send messages of thanks to those who served and those who continue to serve Canada in times of war, military conflict and peace. You can order Postcards for Peace free of charge from Veterans Affairs Canada. If students wish to send a postcard to a veteran, the Library will cover the cost of the postage. Postcards should contain an appropriate message and no personal information should be shared. Please get your postcard in the Library and return it by Thursday, November 6. See Mrs. Killeen for more details. Parents and community members will have an opportunity to fill one out during Thursday, November 6, at Parent-Teacher interviews.
- MRHS Men’s Volleyball Team was narrowly defeated by the #1 ranked Charlottetown Rural last Wednesday. Rural outlasted the Vikings and won 15-11 in the fifth set. Up this week is #2 ranked Westile on Wednesday at home at 5:00pm.
- Field Hockey Team should be excused from class today at 2:20pm.
- Women’s Soccer Team bus will depart for TOSH at 2:45pm today.
- Men’s Basketball practice today, 7:00-9:00pm. All those interested in trying out for the team this year should be there.
- Dodgeball Action Today: Staff Hawks play A-Team. Next game is tomorrow when Who Hit The Dodge Out takes on No Hit Sherlock.
- We are still looking for female and male Power Lifters. Students with questions are asked to see Earl in Student Services or show up for a practice on Tuesdays/Thursdays right after school. It’s never too late.
- All students are required to pay a $20 Student Fee. Payment may be made at the main office.
- School Photos: The deadline for returning school picture orders is Tuesday, October 21. Students are to return orders in sealed envelopes to home room teachers. Home room teachers will be asked to submit all orders to Mrs. Killeen at the end of A Block on the October 21. Retake date is on Monday, October 27 (morning). If students do not like their photo, they must hold on to their original envelope until that date.
- Super Saver Books: Super saver books are now on sale for $10. If you are interested in purchasing a booklet, please see a student council member or see Mrs. Hicken.
- SPC Cards: SPC cards will be on sale until Friday, October 24. Please pick yours up in Room #133 before this time.
- Students are advised that the “Lost and Found” bin in the main lobby will be emptied once a month and the contents discarded and/or donated. If you are missing any items, please check this box.
- UPEI Nursing students, Natasha McHerron and Jennifer Morrison-Ryan, are working out of Room 220 (Teacher Prep Room beside Staff Room). Have a Question? Concern? Issue? Need to chat? Come see them in Room #202 and ask for Jenn and Tash or email them at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
- Any students who would like to have a peer tutor, please see Ms. Beck in Learning Centre B.
- Homework Club is available every day in Learning Centre B from 12:00-12:20.
- Students may make requests for the “Friday Song”. Requests have to be submitted no later than Thursday to Noah Hoskins, Colton Matheson, or Ms. Natasha Nabuurs.
- Peer Helpers: There are Block Meetings scheduled for Thursday this week.
- Grad Photos: Heckberts will be here this Thursday, October 16, to pick up photo orders. Please note that they will be here during lunch break only and will be located in Ms. McLane’s room, No. 229.
- Culinary Meals: For you planners….. here is the schedule for the first round of the Culinary meals; the dates are firm (barring disaster), the menus may be tweaked as time goes on. All meals are $8. Sign up for meals will be at the ticket booth in the lobby at noon. Look for posters each week for more details and listen to the PA announcements. Save these dates:
- Friday, October 17: Tomato watermelon salad with crumbled feta, juicy chicken pieces slathered in a roasted pepper and maple BBQ sauce, cheddar and onion perogies, sweet lemon meringue tart, and sparkling citrus drink.
- Friday, October 24: Fresh spinach salad with strawberries and apples and a homemade pomegranate vinaigrette, spaghetti and meatballs in a delicious made from scratch tomato sauce, garlic herb bread, chocolaty fudge brownies, and luscious slush punch.
- Friday, October 31: Garden salad with cherry tomatoes, carrots, cucumber and celery with our ranch dressing, herb foccacia bread, Italian stew (made with macaroni, beef, carrots, tomatoes and cheese), warm apple crisp topped with whipped cream and cinnamon, and sunshine juice (a colourful mixture of orange and cranberry).
- Thursday, November 6: Fruit cocktail (a delicious blend of at least pineapple, grapes, pears, peaches and apples), bruschetta (toasted baguette topped with a tomato, garlic and basil mixture), marinated chicken kebabs served with white rice, creamy cheesecake and tropical strawberry banana smoothies.
Public Service Announcements:
- Tryouts for Georgetown Midget AA will be held on Wednesday, October 15, at 9:00pm in Souris.