It’s a “C-D” Day!
Welcome the following guest staff today: Michael Hambly for Kelly Pike, Ellen MacCannell for Jennifer Victor, Amy Beck for Maureen MacDonald (am) and Karen Malone (pm), Brian Crane for Pauline Kelly.
Happy Birthday to Logan White (at home today).
A Great Idea: Since this is a long weekend coming up, it would be a terrific idea to clean out your lockers – old lunches, stinky gym clothes, etc. should be removed, thrown out or cleaned.
- Here Comes Treble will have auditions for solos today after school at 3:10 in the music room.
- Yearbook Committee is having a fall sales special. Order a yearbook before next Friday, October 10, and get FREE personalization and FREE icons for $48! See Michelle MacLennan or Johann Victor in the yearbook office at lunch for details.
- This is the last day to contribute to the Phys.Ed.401 Food Bank collection. This will be a B-Block competition and the class collecting the most will be awarded with a pizza party.
- School Photos: The deadline for returning school picture orders is Tuesday, October 21. Students are to return orders in sealed envelopes to home room teachers. Home room teachers will be asked to submit all orders to Mrs. Killeen at the end of A Block on the October 21. Retake date is on Monday, October 27 (morning). If students do not like their photo, they must hold on to their original envelope until that date.
- Student Council: The super saver books have arrived, so if you are on student council and haven’t picked up your booklets yet, please stop by Mrs. Hicken class room, #133.
- Super Saver Books: Super saver books are now on sale for $10. If you are interested in purchasing a booklet, please see a student council member or see Mrs. Hicken.
- SPC Cards: SPC cards will be on sale until Friday, October 24. Please pick yours up in Room #133 before this time.
- October 10 – UPEI Music Department is hosting an Open House for high school students. Any student currently in Grades 10, 11 and 12 are invited to attend. If you plan to attend, you can telephone (566-0507) or email (firstname.lastname@example.org) by Friday, October 3.
- Career Day is happening on Wednesday, October 15, from 1:15 to 3:00 pm. Post-secondary Schools and organizations will be here at MRHS to talk to students about future plans.
- Post-Secondary Night for Parents – Thursday, October 16 at 6:30 pm at Bluefield High School.
- Friday, October 17 – Acadia University is hosting an Open House. Students can get on the spot admission with a copy of their transcript.
- October 18 – UNB Fredericton Open House 10:00 am – 1:00 pm at Currie Centre – For more details visit unb.ca/openhousefr (Enter to win a $2,500 Tuition Credit and a Macbook Air or an i Pad Mini).
- October 24 – Open House: Undergraduates – University of King’s College
- October 26 – Open House: McGill University. Register online at http://www.mcgill.ca/openhouse/register
- November 15 from 10:00 am – 2 pm – Holland College will be hosting an Open House Campus Tour Day. Students must register in order to attend at HollandCollege.com/campus-tour.
- Loran Scholarship – 30 scholarships valued up to $80,000. Applications are due to Student Services by Wednesday, October 8, 2014.
- Students: please return overdue items in the hall drop box. You can renew materials at break or lunch time, not during class time.
- Check out the Library window display of “Books on Film”. Read a book before you watch the movie!! There are some classics and new book assortment!
- Scholastic book flyers for the month of October have arrived and are available in the library. Orders due on or before October 21st. Mrs. Killeen places orders weekly so you don’t need to wait! Order today!
- The MRHS Male Athlete of the Week is Mark Morrison. Mark is a Grade 11 student and is the team’s starting setter. He has an excellent work ethic, positive attitude and continues to improve each week. He set very well in our two matches last week against Charlottetown Rural and Bluefield.
- The Cross Country team will depart at 9:15am today.
- Dodgeball Action Today: Team Switzerland plays Semi Pro. Next game is Wednesday: Dodge the Bounty Hunter takes on Dolls n’ Balls.
- Women’s Soccer Team will practice today and Wednesday this week.
- There will be a training session for those interested in trying out for the Men’s Basketball Team today from 7-9pm.
- All students are required to pay a $20 Student Fee. Payment may be made at the main office.
- Students are advised that the “Lost and Found” bin in the main lobby will be emptied once a month and the contents discarded and/or donated. If you are missing any items, please check this box.
- UPEI Nursing students, Natasha McHerron and Jennifer Morrison-Ryan, are working out of Room 220 (Teacher Prep Room beside Staff Room). Have a Question? Concern? Issue? Need to chat? Come see them in Room #202 and ask for Jenn and Tash or email them at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Any students who would like to have a peer tutor, please see Ms. Beck in Learning Centre B.
- Homework Club is available every day in Learning Centre B from 12:00-12:20.
- Students may make requests for the “Friday Song”. Requests have to be submitted no later than Thursday to Noah Hoskins, Colton Matheson, or Ms. Natasha Nabuurs.
- Disney Choir members who wish to participate in the Christmas Basket draw fundraiser should pass in their $10 or their donation to Ms. McInnis by Wednesday.
- Culinary Meals: For you planners….. here is the schedule for the first round of the Culinary meals; the dates are firm (barring disaster), the menus may be tweaked as time goes on. All meals are $8. Sign up for meals will be at the ticket booth in the lobby at noon. Look for posters each week for more details and listen to the PA announcements. Save these dates:
- Friday, October 17: Tomato watermelon salad with crumbled feta, juicy chicken pieces slathered in a roasted pepper and maple BBQ sauce, cheddar and onion perogies, sweet lemon meringue tart, and sparkling citrus drink.
- Friday, October 24: Fresh spinach salad with strawberries and apples and a homemade pomegranate vinaigrette, spaghetti and meatballs in a delicious made from scratch tomato sauce, garlic herb bread, chocolaty fudge brownies, and luscious slush punch.
- Friday, October 31: Garden salad with cherry tomatoes, carrots, cucumber and celery with our ranch dressing, herb foccacia bread, Italian stew (made with macaroni, beef, carrots, tomatoes and cheese), warm apple crisp topped with whipped cream and cinnamon, and sunshine juice (a colourful mixture of orange and cranberry).
- Thursday, November 6: Fruit cocktail (a delicious blend of at least pineapple, grapes, pears, peaches and apples), bruschetta (toasted baguette topped with a tomato, garlic and basil mixture), marinated chicken kebabs served with white rice, creamy cheesecake and tropical strawberry banana smoothies.
Public Service Announcements:
- All Montague Minor Hockey Open AA tryouts will be starting today (Tuesday). Please check the website for times.