It’s a “D-C” Day!
Welcome the following guest staff today: Amy Beck for Donna White, Brian Crane for Pauline Kelly, Jessica Campbell for Jennifer Victor.
Happy Belated Birthday to Hope Higginbotham, Michelle MacLennan and Alexander MacKinnon who celebrated their birthdays over the weekend.
A Great Idea: Since this is a long weekend coming up, it would be a terrific idea to clean out your lockers – old lunches, stinky gym clothes, etc. should be removed, throw out or cleaned.
- Parent Council will meet this evening at 6:30 in the Library Conference Room. Parents and guardians are invited to attend.
- All Challenge Day students are reminded to hand your forms into Ms. MacGregor Harris in Student Services. If you do not have your form here today, please go and see her.
- There will be an important SADD meeting at 11:45am today. Don’t bring your lunches!
- There will be a Student Council meeting on Monday in Room #133 at 11:45. All members MUST attend.
- Any Disney Choir members who wish to participate in the Haunted Corn Maze fundraiser should sign up on the music room door.
- Are you interested in promoting healthy eating in our school? If so, come join SNAC! Student Nutrition Action Committee (SNAC) will be meeting today at 12:05 in Learning Centre A.
- Yearbook Committee is having a fall sales special. Order a yearbook before next Friday, October 10, and get FREE personalization and FREE icons for $48! See Michelle MacLennan or Johann Victor in the yearbook office at lunch for details.
- Ed.401 will be collecting items and money for the Food Bank until October 7 (that’s tomorrow). This will be a B-Block competition and the class collecting the most will be awarded with a pizza party.
- October 10 – UPEI Music Department is hosting an Open House for high school students. Any student currently in Grades 10, 11 and 12 are invited to attend. If you plan to attend, you can telephone (566-0507) or email (email@example.com) by Friday, October 3.
- Career Day is happening on Wednesday, October 15, from 1:15 to 3:00 pm. Post-secondary Schools and organizations will be here at MRHS to talk to students about future plans.
- Post-Secondary Night for Parents – Thursday, October 16 at 6:30 pm at Bluefield High School.
- Friday, October 17 – Acadia University is hosting an Open House. Students can get on the spot admission with a copy of their transcript.
- October 18 – UNB Fredericton Open House 10:00 am – 1:00 pm at Currie Centre – For more details visit unb.ca/openhousefr (Enter to win a $2,500 Tuition Credit and a Macbook Air or an i Pad Mini).
- October 24 – Open House: Undergraduates – University of King’s College
- October 26 – Open House: McGill University. Register online at http://www.mcgill.ca/openhouse/register
- November 15 from 10:00 am – 2 pm – Holland College will be hosting an Open House Campus Tour Day. Students must register in order to attend at HollandCollege.com/campus-tour.
- Loran Scholarship – 30 scholarships valued up to $80,000. Applications are due to Student Services by Wednesday, October 8, 2014.
- Students: please return overdue items in the hall drop box. You can renew materials at break or lunch time, not during class time.
- Check out the Library window display of “Books on Film”. Read a book before you watch the movie!! There are some classics and new book assortment!
- Scholastic book flyers for the month of October have arrived and are available in the library. Orders due on or before October 21st. Mrs. Killeen places orders weekly so you don’t need to wait! Order today!
- On Friday, the Men’s AAA Volleyball Team hosted Bluefield and the guys were defeated by the scores 25-18, 25-23, and 25-19. Today they have a rematch against Bluefield and Wednesday they host 1st Place Charlottetown Rural.
- Field Hockey and Men’s Volleyball teams will depart at 3:15 pm from the Wellness Centre.
- Today’s home game: Women’s Volleyball Team plays Grace Christian at 5:00 pm.
- Dodgeball Action Today: Dreamteam 06 plays Ball of Duty. Next game is on Wednesday when Dodge the Bounty Hunter takes on Dolls n’ Balls.
- Women’s Soccer Team will practice on today, Tuesday, and Wednesday of this week.
- Students are advised that the “Lost and Found” bin in the main lobby will be emptied once a month and the contents discarded and/or donated. If you are missing any items, please check this box.
- UPEI Nursing students, Natasha McHerron and Jennifer Morrison-Ryan, are working out of Room 220 (Teacher Prep Room beside Staff Room). Have a Question? Concern? Issue? Need to chat? Come see them in Room #202 and ask for Jenn and Tash or email them at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
- Any students who would like to have a peer tutor, please see Ms. Beck in Learning Centre B.
- Homework Club is available every day in Learning Centre B from 12:00-12:20.
- Students may make requests for the “Friday Song”. Requests have to be submitted no later than Thursday to Noah Hoskins, Colton Matheson, or Ms. Natasha Nabuurs.
- Disney Choir members who wish to participate in the Christmas Basket draw fundraiser should pass in their $10 or their donation to Ms. McInnis by Wednesday.
- Here Comes Treble will have auditions for solos on Tuesday after school at 3:10 in the music room.
- Culinary Meals: For you planners….. here is the schedule for the first round of the Culinary meals; the dates are firm (barring disaster), the menus may be tweaked as time goes on. All meals are $8. Sign up for meals will be at the ticket booth in the lobby at noon. Look for posters each week for more details and listen to the PA announcements. Save these dates:
- Friday, October 17: Tomato watermelon salad with crumbled feta, juicy chicken pieces slathered in a roasted pepper and maple BBQ sauce, cheddar and onion perogies, sweet lemon meringue tart, and sparkling citrus drink.
- Friday, October 24: Fresh spinach salad with strawberries and apples and a homemade pomegranate vinaigrette, spaghetti and meatballs in a delicious made from scratch tomato sauce, garlic herb bread, chocolaty fudge brownies, and luscious slush punch.
- Friday, October 31: Garden salad with cherry tomatoes, carrots, cucumber and celery with our ranch dressing, herb foccacia bread, Italian stew (made with macaroni, beef, carrots, tomatoes and cheese), warm apple crisp topped with whipped cream and cinnamon, and sunshine juice (a colourful mixture of orange and cranberry).
- Thursday, November 6: Fruit cocktail (a delicious blend of at least pineapple, grapes, pears, peaches and apples), bruschetta (toasted baguette topped with a tomato, garlic and basil mixture), marinated chicken kebabs served with white rice, creamy cheesecake and tropical strawberry banana smoothies.
Public Service Announcements:
- 2017 Canada Games Boys Softball Camps: Any male ball players who were born in 1996 or younger are eligible for the 2017 Canada Games Softball team. Contact Head Coach Mark Quinn firstname.lastname@example.org or 902 969-6131. Upcoming camps are scheduled as follows:
- Wednesday, October 8th Central Field 1 Charlottetown 6:00 – 8:00pm
- Sunday, October 12th Ellis Field O’Leary 1:00 – 3:00pm