It’s a “C-D” Day!
Welcome the following guest staff today: Alana Marchand for Caleigh Oehlke, Leanne Laird for Matt Kelly, Jessica Campbell for Angela Killeen, Wanda Cheverie for Gail Greene, Darrell Bradley for Mary Ellen Lowther, Mike Hambly for Anne MacKinnon, Janet MacDougall-Turner for Bethany MacLeod, Brian Crane for Toby Murphy.
Happy Birthday to: Maddy Clements, Roey Loung.
- Readers’ Circle will meet today at 12:05 in Library Seminar A. Bring your lunches! Bring a friend!
- The 2014/2015 “MRHS Student Council List” will be posted in the student council office today at lunch. If your name is on the list, please see Ms. Hicken in Room #133 for your super saver coupon books. Welcome to student council :)!! We look forward to working with you this year.
- Students are advised that the “Lost and Found” bin in the main lobby will be emptied once a month and the contents discarded and/or donated. If you are missing any items, please check this box.
- Grads! The following students still owe Heckbert Studio and Gallery for the $12 sitting fee: Jordan Stewart, Marc White, Lukas O’Conner, Stephanie Hinks, Merissa Rayner, Daniel Morrison, Lucas LaVie, Austin Leeco, Max Morrison, Liam Thompson, Samantha Pirch, Tynan Murphy, Lexie Carroll, and Hope Higginbotham. Please note these must be paid before you can pick up your proofs which should be here by the end of the week.
- Yearbook Committee is having a fall sales special. Order a yearbook before next Friday, October 10, and get FREE personalization and FREE icons for $48! See Michelle MacLennan or Johann Victor in the yearbook office at lunch for details.
- Ed.401 will be collecting items and money for the Food Bank until October 7. This will be a B-Block competition and the class collecting the most will be awarded with a pizza party.
- New Brunswick Community College – Open House – Oct. 4 at Fredericton, Moncton and Saint John.
- October 10 – UPEI Music Department is hosting an Open House for high school students. Any student currently in Grades 10, 11 and 12 are invited to attend. If you plan to attend, you can telephone (566-0507) or email (firstname.lastname@example.org) by Friday, October 3.
- Career Day is happening on Wednesday, October 15, from 1:15 to 3:00 pm. Post-secondary Schools and organizations will be here at MRHS to talk to students about future plans.
- Post-Secondary Night for Parents – Thursday, October 16 at 6:30 pm at Bluefield High School.
- Friday, October 17 – Acadia University is hosting an Open House. Students can get on the spot admission with a copy of their transcript.
- October 18 – UNB Fredericton Open House 10:00 am – 1:00 pm at Currie Centre – For more details visit unb.ca/openhousefr (Enter to win a $2,500 Tuition Credit and a Macbook Air or an i Pad Mini).
- October 24 – Open House: Undergraduates – University of King’s College
- October 26 – Open House: McGill University. Register online at http://www.mcgill.ca/openhouse/register
- November 15 from 10:00 am – 2 pm – Holland College will be hosting an Open House Campus Tour Day. Students must register in order to attend at HollandCollege.com/campus-tour.
- Loran Scholarship – 30 scholarships valued up to $80,000. Applications are due to Student Services by Wednesday, October 8, 2014.
- Homeroom Teachers: Overdue library material sheets will be delivered during A Block today.
Students: please return materials in hall drop box. Feel free to renew materials at break or lunch time.
- Check out the Library window display of “Books on Film”. Read a book before you watch the movie!! There are some classics and new book assortment!
- Scholastic book flyers for the month of October have arrived and are available in the library. Orders due on or before October 21st. Mrs. Killeen places orders weekly so you don’t need to wait! Order today!
- Student Essay Contest: Imagine you have the power to fix the biggest problem in the world. In two pages or less, describe the problem and what you would do about it. Enter for a chance to win a trip to Toronto to see a special advance screening of the movie, “The Hunger Games: Mockingjay”. Contest ends on Friday, October 24, 2014. Visit the Library and ask Mrs. Killeen for more information about this writing contest.
- Best finish ever yesterday by our school Golf Team! Our AA Boys team of Saul Lannigan, Derian Johnson, Riley Lavandier and Daniel Martell won Silver medals. Also, our A Men’s team won Silver led by Dustin Ross (who also won Silver for individual score), Dexter Fraser, Dawson McCarthy, Ben MacDonald and Spencer Gillis. Maria Ferguson finished 4th in the AA Girls Division.
- Dodgeball Action Today: Klumsy Kyle play No Hit Sherlock. Next game is on Monday when Dreamteam 06 takes on Ball of Duty.
- The Men’s Soccer Team will depart for Charlottetown Rural at 2:00pm.
- Today’s Home Game: Men’s Volleyball Team takes on Bluefield at 6:00pm.
- Women’s Soccer Team will practice on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday of next week.
- The MRHS Female Athletes of the Week are Tanisha Victor and Sarah MacVarish.
- Tanisha was a leader on and off the court and had a strong game against TOSH.
- Sarah is the leading scorer for the MRHS Women’s Soccer Team. Her speed and footwork have help her to score two goals in each game so far this season – that’s four games in a row! Keep up the great work, Sarah.
- The MRHS Male Athlete of the Week is Tynan Murphy. Tynan started all six matches last week, playing in the right side position. He is the team’s top serve receiver and top spiker. He also leads the team in points scored.
- UPEI Nursing students, Natasha McHerron and Jennifer Morrison-Ryan, are working out of Room 220 (Teacher Prep Room beside Staff Room). Have a Question? Concern? Issue? Need to chat? Come see them in Room #202 and ask for Jenn and Tash or email them at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Any students who would like to have a peer tutor, please see Ms. Beck in Learning Centre B.
- Homework Club is available every day in Learning Centre B from 12:00-12:20.
- Students may make requests for the “Friday Song”. Requests have to be submitted no later than Thursday to Noah Hoskins, Colton Matheson, or Ms. Natasha Nabuurs.
- Student Council is selling SPC cards. Cards are $9 and can be purchased from Ms. Sandra Hicken.
- Are you interested in promoting healthy eating in our school? If so, come join SNAC! Student Nutrition Action Committee (SNAC) will be meeting on Monday at 12:05 in Learning Centre A.
- Culinary Meals: For you planners….. here is the schedule for the first round of the Culinary meals; the dates are firm (barring disaster), the menus may be tweaked as time goes on. All meals are $8. Sign up for meals will be at the ticket booth in the lobby at noon. Look for posters each week for more details and listen to the PA announcements. Save these dates:
- Friday, October 17: Tomato watermelon salad with crumbled feta, juicy chicken pieces slathered in a roasted pepper and maple BBQ sauce, cheddar and onion perogies, sweet lemon meringue tart, and sparkling citrus drink.
- Friday, October 24: Fresh spinach salad with strawberries and apples and a homemade pomegranate vinaigrette, spaghetti and meatballs in a delicious made from scratch tomato sauce, garlic herb bread, chocolaty fudge brownies, and luscious slush punch.
- Friday, October 31: Garden salad with cherry tomatoes, carrots, cucumber and celery with our ranch dressing, herb foccacia bread, Italian stew (made with macaroni, beef, carrots, tomatoes and cheese), warm apple crisp topped with whipped cream and cinnamon, and sunshine juice (a colourful mixture of orange and cranberry).
- Thursday, November 6: Fruit cocktail (a delicious blend of at least pineapple, grapes, pears, peaches and apples), bruschetta (toasted baguette topped with a tomato, garlic and basil mixture), marinated chicken kebabs served with white rice, creamy cheesecake and tropical strawberry banana smoothies.
Public Service Announcements:
- 2017 Canada Games Boys Softball Camps: Any male ball players who were born in 1996 or younger are eligible for the 2017 Canada Games Softball team. Contact Head Coach Mark Quinn email@example.com 902 969-6131. Camps are scheduled as follows:
- Sunday, October 5th JD MacIntyre Field Cardigan 2:00 – 4:00pm
- Wednesday, October 8th Central Field 1 Charlottetown 6:00 – 8:00pm
- Sunday, October 12th Ellis Field O’Leary 1:00 – 3:00pm