It’s a “C-D” Day!
Welcome the following guest staff today: Michael Hambly for Glenda McInnis, Gordon Tultz for Andrew Henderson(am), Brian Crane for Toby Murphy.
Happy Birthday to Austin Bernardino.
- Healthy Snacks will be sold during morning break today. Price for fresh veggies n dip is $1.
- Peer Helpers: There will be a block meeting for peer helpers today.
- SADD will be meeting today at 11:50am.
- SAVE will hold a meeting today at 12:00 in Student Services. SAVE stands for Students Against Violence Everywhere. We are looking for old and new members so please come along.
- Grads! The following students still owe Heckbert Studio and Gallery for the $12 sitting fee: Jordan Stewart, Marc White, Lukas O’Conner, Stephanie Hinks, Merissa Rayner, Daniel Morrison, Lucas LaVie, Austin Leeco, Max Morrison, Liam Thompson, Samantha Pirch, Tynan Murphy, Luke MacPhee, Lexie Carroll, Hope Higginbotham, Myles Seeley, and Caleb Seeley. Please note these must be paid before you can pick up your proofs which should be here by the end of the week.
- Yearbook Committee is having a fall sales special. Order a yearbook before next Friday, October 10, and get FREE personalization and FREE icons for $48! See Michelle MacLennan or Johann Victor in the yearbook office at lunch for details.
- Ed.401 will be collecting items and money for the Food Bank until October 7. This will be a B-Block competition and the class collecting the most will be awarded with a pizza party.
- Bake Sale during lunch break today. Hosted by Phys.Ed.401 students with proceeds going to the Food Bank.
- A 16GB memory stick was found in Computer Lab 100. A pencil case full of supplies has been in office for quite some time. Check at the office if you are missing these items.
- New Brunswick Community College – Open House – Oct. 4 at Fredericton, Moncton and Saint John.
- Career Day is happening on Wednesday, October 15, from 1:15 to 3:00 pm. Post-secondary Schools and organizations will be here at MRHS to talk to students about future plans.
- Post-Secondary Night for Parents – Thursday, October 16 at 6:30 pm at Bluefield High School.
- Friday, October 17 – Acadia University is hosting an Open House. Students can get on the spot admission with a copy of their transcript.
- October 18 – UNB Fredericton Open House 10:00 am – 1:00 pm at Currie Centre – For more details visit unb.ca/openhousefr (Enter to win a $2,500 Tuition Credit and a Macbook Air or an i Pad Mini).
- November 15 from 10:00 am – 2 pm – Holland College will be hosting an Open House Campus Tour Day. Students must register in order to attend at HollandCollege.com/campus-tour.
- Loran Scholarship – 30 scholarships valued up to $80,000. Applications are due to Student Services by Wednesday, October 8, 2014.
- Next Readers’ Circle will be Friday, October 3, at 12:05 in Library Seminar A. Bring your lunches! Bring a friend!
- Scholastic book flyers for the month of October have arrived and are available in the library. Orders due on or before October 21st. Mrs. Killeen places orders weekly so you don’t need to wait! Order today!
- Student Essay Contest: Imagine you have the power to fix the biggest problem in the world. In two pages or less, describe the problem and what you would do about it. Enter for a chance to win a trip to Toronto to see a special advance screening of the movie, “The Hunger Games: Mockingjay”. Contest ends on Friday, October 24, 2014. Visit the Library and ask Mrs. Killeen for more information about this writing contest.
- Cross Country? Any students interested in running on the Cross-Country team this year are asked to meet in Room 129 at 11:45 today. The Unit Meet is next week.
- Dodgeball Action Today: Who Let the Dodge Out plays Hit Me Up. Next game is on Friday when Klumsy Kyle takes on No Hit Sherlock.
- Women’s Volleyball Team bus will depart for Kinkora at 4:10 pm.
- Women’s Field Hockey Team plays at home today against Charlottetown Rural at 5:15pm.
- There will be practice for the MRHS Women’s Soccer Team on Thursday of this week and Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday of next week.
- Any students interested in keeping score for home volleyball games are asked to please see either Ms. Nabuurs or Ryan Ferguson. Score keepers are paid $10 for every game that they help with.
- The MRHS Athletic Department would like to congratulate the Field Hockey Team on a well-played tournament this past weekend at Charlottetown Rural. The team went 3-1, playing all games with no subs or shorthanded. They lost to James M. Hill, the eventual champion, in the semi-finals.
- The MRHS Female Athletes of the Week are Tanisha Victor and Sarah MacVarish.
- Tanisha was a leader on and off the court and had a strong game against TOSH.
- Sarah is the leading scorer for the MRHS Women’s Soccer Team. Her speed and footwork have help her to score two goals in each game so far this season – that’s four games in a row! Keep up the great work, Sarah.
- The MRHS Male Athlete of the Week is Tynan Murphy. Tynan started all six matches last week, playing in the right side position. He is the team’s top serve receiver and top spiker. He also leads the team in points scored.
- UPEI Nursing students, Natasha McHerron and Jennifer Morrison-Ryan, are working out of Room 220 (Teacher Prep Room beside Staff Room). Have a Question? Concern? Issue? Need to chat? Come see them in Room #202 and ask for Jenn and Tash or email them at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Any students who would like to have a peer tutor, please see Ms. Beck in Learning Centre B.
- Homework Club is available every day in Learning Centre B from 12:00-12:20.
- Students may make requests for the “Friday Song”. Requests have to be submitted no later than Thursday to Noah Hoskins, Colton Matheson, or Ms. Natasha Nabuurs.
- Student Council is selling SPC cards. Cards are $9 and can be purchased from Ms. Sandra Hicken.
- Ed.401 students are having a “pie the teacher” event during lunch on Thursday, October 2.
- Culinary Meals: For you planners….. here is the schedule for the first round of the Culinary meals; the dates are firm (barring disaster), the menus may be tweaked as time goes on. All meals are $8. Sign up for meals will be at the ticket booth in the lobby at noon. Look for posters each week for more details and listen to the PA announcements. Save these dates:
- Friday, October 3: Baked potato skins topped with green onion, cheese and bacon, homemade crispy breaded chicken tenders, fresh Caesar salad, cheesy garlic bread, strawberry shortcake on a fluffy biscuit and sweet iced tea.
- Friday, October 17: Tomato watermelon salad with crumbled feta, juicy chicken pieces slathered in a roasted pepper and maple BBQ sauce, cheddar and onion perogies, sweet lemon meringue tart, and sparkling citrus drink.
- Friday, October 24: Fresh spinach salad with strawberries and apples and a homemade pomegranate vinaigrette, spaghetti and meatballs in a delicious made from scratch tomato sauce, garlic herb bread, chocolaty fudge brownies, and luscious slush punch.
- Friday, October 31: Garden salad with cherry tomatoes, carrots, cucumber and celery with our ranch dressing, herb foccacia bread, Italian stew (made with macaroni, beef, carrots, tomatoes and cheese), warm apple crisp topped with whipped cream and cinnamon, and sunshine juice (a colourful mixture of orange and cranberry).
- Thursday, November 6: Fruit cocktail (a delicious blend of at least pineapple, grapes, pears, peaches and apples), bruschetta (toasted baguette topped with a tomato, garlic and basil mixture), marinated chicken kebabs served with white rice, creamy cheesecake and tropical strawberry banana smoothies.
Public Service Announcements:
- Midget aged hockey players are invited to a second Conditioning Camp scheduled for Thursday at the Montague Wellness Centre, starting at 8:10pm. Cost for the session is $10.
- 2017 Canada Games Boys Softball Camps: Any male ball players who were born in 1996 or younger are eligible for the 2017 Canada Games Softball team. Contact Head Coach Mark Quinn email@example.com or 902 969-6131. Camps are scheduled as follows:
- Thursday, October 2nd Central Field 1 Charlottetown 6:00 – 8:00pm
- Sunday, October 5th JD MacIntyre Field Cardigan 2:00 – 4:00pm
- Wednesday, October 8th Central Field 1 Charlottetown 6:00 – 8:00pm
- Sunday, October 12th Ellis Field O’Leary 1:00 – 3:00pm