It’s a “D-C” Day!
Welcome the following guest staff today: Jessica Campbell, Michael Hambly, Amy Beck, Janet MacDougall-Turner, Adam Clow, Ellen MacCannell, Dean Lackie, Michael Brothers, Robin Dickieson.
Happy Birthday to Brandon Morris.
- There will be a meeting for all students who signed up for the Junior Achievement After-School Program today at 12:00 in Student Services.
- Breakfast Club volunteers are asked to make sure that you have passed your completed community bursary services sheets in to Ms. Anderson. She is expecting them all to be in today.
- The Fitness Centre will be closed after school today.
- MRHS’s Young Blood for Life Club will be hosting a Blood Donor Clinic today at MRHS. The Blood Donor Clinic is for people 17 and over only.
- Attention Grads: Remember every potential grad must have a photo taken while Heckbert Studios are here.
- Today is the deadline to apply for the Provincial Page Program. It’s a great opportunity to learn more about the Legislative Assembly AND make some extra cash! Check it out at Student Services.
- Loran Scholarship – 30 scholarships valued up to $80,000. Character, Service and Leadership, and strong Academic achievement (average of at least 85%) are the key areas for selection. Students must be considering applying to one of the sponsored universities. See Ms. MacGregor-Harris or Ms. Victor for important information and the application form. Applications are due to Student Services by Wednesday, October 8, 2014.
- Next Readers’ Circle will be Friday, October 3, at 12:05 in Library Seminar A. Bring your lunches! Bring a friend!
- “Fishing” for a new book? Check out the display and get “hooked” on a new read! Another 100 new books have arrived. Stop by the Library for a long weekend read!
- Scholastic book flyers for the month of October have arrived and are available in the library. Orders due on or before October 21st. Mrs. Killeen places orders weekly so you don’t need to wait! Order today!
- Student Essay Contest: Imagine you have the power to fix the biggest problem in the world. In two pages or less, describe the problem and what you would do about it. Enter for a chance to win a trip to Toronto to see a special advance screening of the movie, “The Hunger Games: Mockingjay”. Contest ends on Friday, October 24, 2014. Visit the Library and ask Mrs. Killeen for more information about this writing contest.
- The Men’s Soccer Team defeated Three Oaks 4-3 last night. Michael VanDerZwaag, Marcus Miller (2), and Zach Lund scored for MRHS. Brandon Lund was in goal for MRHS.
- Volleyball Highlights: The gals played a tough game at TOSH. Sadly we lost but everyone stayed together. Player of the game is Grace Rooney who had amazing serves and was able to move them to the opening spots.
- Golf Team: Bus will depart at 11:30am today.
- Dodgeball Action Today: Staff Hawks play the Dolls N’ Balls. Next game is scheduled for Monday when A-Team takes on the Semi Pro.
- Students interested in being a part of the Cross Country team are asked to please sign up in the Phys. Ed. Area.
- Any students interested in keeping score for home volleyball games are asked to please see either Ms. Nabuurs or Ryan Ferguson. Score keepers are paid $10 for every game that they help with.
- Women’s Soccer Team: There will be practice again today. Next home game is on Monday at 5:00.
- Congratulations to Cassie MacLean and Amie MacPherson, the MRHS Female Athletes of the Week!
- Cassie brings a contagious energy to the court every game, lifting the play of her teammates. She played well defensively and made some excellent passes to lead her team to two wins over Westisle and Souris last week.
- Amie MacPherson played two solid games last week. She made a number of key saves against Colonel Gray, and she had a shutout against Souris. She’s also doing a great job of being a vocal team leader from the net.
- Congratulations to Patrick Walsh, Nolan McKenna and Michael VanDerZwaag, the Male Athletes of the Week!
- Patrick Walsh has shown excellent commitment to the Men’s Volleyball team over the past 3 seasons. He has a very high attendance rate for all team functions and has worked himself into a starting position on the team. He played consistently well at both the Three Oaks tournament and the first league match against Westile.
- Nolan McKenna scored a goal in each of his first two games as a rookie with the Men’s Soccer team, including the winner in a 2-0 victory over Bluefield on Friday.
- Michael VanDerZwaag’s vision of the field and strength in the air helped him to lead the Men’s Soccer team to a win and a tie last week.
- UPEI Nursing students, Natasha McHerron and Jennifer Morrison-Ryan, are working out of Room 220 (Teacher Prep Room beside Staff Room). Have a Question? Concern? Issue? Need to chat? Come see them in Room #202 and ask for Jenn and Tash or email them at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
- Any students who would like to have a peer tutor, please see Ms. Beck in Learning Centre B.
- Homework Club is available every day in Learning Centre B from 12:00-12:20.
- Students may make requests for the “Friday Song”. Requests have to be submitted no later than Thursday to Noah Hoskins, Colton Matheson, or Ms. Natasha Nabuurs.
- Student Council is selling SPC cards. Cards are $9 and can be purchased from Ms. Sandra Hicken.
- There will be a meeting of Breakfast Club volunteers on Monday at 11:50am in Ms. Anderson’s office. This is an important, but short, meeting, so everyone should be there.
- School pictures will take place for all grades and staff next Monday morning, September 29. Students will be called down according to homeroom teacher. Retakes will be October 27 should you miss.
- SAVE will hold a meeting on Wednesday, October 1, at 12:00 in Student Services. SAVE stands for Students Against Violence Everywhere. We are looking for old and new members so please come along to see what we are all about.
- There is a meeting for all interested Choir members and their parents on September 30 at 5:00 in the music room to discuss the big Disney trip for 2016. Anyone interested in joining choir and travelling with them to Florida is encouraged to attend.
Public Service Announcements:
- Every Monday evening from 6-7pm. there will be youth group held at Murray Harbour Church of Christ for Grades 7-12. For more information, contact Cynthia Bell at (902)940-3996 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Hope to see you there!