It’s a “D-C” Day!
Welcome to the following guest staff today: Donna White for Sharon Anderson, Dean Lackie for Anne MacKinnon, and Mike Hambly for Bethany MacLeod (am).
Happy Birthday to Madelyn MacNeill and Ali White.
Lost and Found Items: There is quite a selection of clothing and other items in the Lost and Found area in the main lobby. Students are advised that all items not claimed by this Friday (tomorrow) will be donated to charity.
- Peer Helpers: There will be Block meetings today.
- Readers Circle with meet today at 12:05pm in Library Seminar Room A to discuss the current book selection, The Gift of Six.
- Mr. Jamieson’s Island History class is having an open house on the morning of May 29 to celebrate and remember one-room school houses. The class is looking for entertainment to perform during the event. Please contact Andrea Smith or Anna Frankfurt if you’re interested. All acts are welcome.
- Grade Twelve Students: Viking Pin applications are due today with a 3:00pm deadline. This is the only school day left to gather signatures and submit your application. Don’t miss out! Reminder: Teachers are NOT to be interrupted during class to sign Viking Pin applications!
- Female Athlete of the Week: Maddie Delodder pitched a perfect game for MRHS on Friday evening. She had a no-hitter and a number of strikeouts on our 4-0 win against Charlottetown Rural.
- The Men’s and Women’s Softball teams will depart today for Colonel Gray at 2:45 pm. Good luck in the rest of the tournament!
- Come out and support the Men’s and Women’s Softball and Rugby teams as they take on Colonel Gray tomorrow (Friday) evening. Games start at 5 pm.
- The Viking Strength & Conditioning Club offers the following training times: Tuesday 6:15-7:45, Thursday 6:15-7:45 and Sunday 1:00-2:30 pm. If you are interested in training for sport or just to get in shape, come on out. For more information contact Ron Annear at 628-7762.
- Spring Basketball on Mondays from 7-9 pm for all girls interested in playing for MRHS next year.
- Vikings & Red Rock Wrestling Clubs new practice times: Monday from 4:00 to 5:30 and Thursday from 3:00 to 4:30pm at Montague Consolidated.
- The MRHS pledge wall is now complete, thanks to Kelsey Johnston, Natasha Brandon & Michael Ferguson. Please stop by and read the 300+ pledges. They will remain on the cafeteria wall until the end of next week. Thanks to all students, staff and community members who made a pledge against racism!
- A huge thank you to Amelia Hameline for her recent book donations to the school library.
- There is a Grad Committee meeting tomorrow at 12:00!
- There will be a dessert party on Wednesday, May 21, in the Cafeteria from 6 – 8 pm. Tickets are $5/person and all proceeds will go to the students traveling to CSLC and NASC. Come out and enjoy some great treats.
Upcoming Culinary Meals: (Book your meal at the ticket booth!)
- Friday, May 16, Pizza Party Meal: Delicious grilled flatbread covered with smooth tangy tomato sauce topped with fresh bell peppers, roasted red onions, chunks of tender chicken, crispy bacon crumbles, and of course, melted mozzarella cheese. Salad will be made with tender quinoa mixed with nutty asparagus tops, bright sweet cherry tomatoes and creamy herbed goat cheese, covered in a tangy red wine vinaigrette. One bite and you’ll fall in love! Dessert is an orange chocolate hazelnut cake, a moist chocolate cake filled with a rich chocolate-hazelnut spread and topped with a zesty, smooth orange buttercream icing. Roy Rogers Mocktail is a sweet and tangy mix of lemon-lime soda, gingerale and classic grenadine syrup garnished with a vibrant orange wedge. Cost is $6.
- Friday, May 23, Louisiana Meal: Main is a real Louisiana jambalaya, fluffy rice piled high with steamed vegetables, chicken and sausage simmered in a delectable Creole sauce, served with a side of fluffy sky high buttermilk biscuits. These delectable biscuits will melt in your mouth and will leave you wanting more. Wash down your meal with a fruity and extremely colourful Shirley Temple made with fizzy lemon drink, sweet grenadine, and a flavourful orange/pineapple juice, topped with a ravishing red cherry. Dessert is a miniature creamy key lime pie with a dollop of fresh whipped cream which will take you to the tropics. Cost is $6.
- Requests for the Friday song: Submit a copy of lyrics and your name to Ms. Dowd or Colton Matheson.
- All students are responsible for Student Fees which are payable at the main office.
- There are a number of scholarship deadlines coming up: RBC Award (May 15), Curl Atlantic – Joyce Myers Trust Fund Scholarship (May 15), Montague Credit Union Scholarship (May 15), The Epilepsy Association of Nova Scotia (May 15), The Rotary District 7820 Scholarship (May 15), Education Award – Young Brain Tumour Survivors (May 16), Sport PEI Scholarship (May 19), 2014 Duck Brand Duct Tape Stuck at Prom – Scholarship Contest (May 23), Learning Matters Education Charity (May 30), Monsanto Canada Opportunity Scholarship (May 30), PEI Roadrunners Bursary (May 31), PEI Women’s Institute Education Scholarship (May 31), SSTA Societe Saint-Thomas-D’Aquin Scholarships and Bursary Competitions (May 31).
- Barry Gosby from PEI Government will be here at 1:00 pm on May 21 to present about Student Loan applications and how to apply. Interested students and parents should plan to attend this presentation taking place in the Library Conference Room.
Public Service Annnouncements:
- There will be a U-17 Eastern Eagles Soccer practice Saturday from 4:00 to 5:30pm at the Montague Soccer Complex.
- Annual Garden of the Gulf Museum Essay Contest: Theme this year is “Confederation – Then and Now”. In your opinion, what are some significant changes our community has seen? Deadline is June 20, 2014 with categories in two divisions: ages 13-15 and ages 16-18. Submissions should have a cover page with Title, Name, Age and Contact Information. Drop off entries in person at the Museum or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Monetary prizes will be awarded.
- Miss Montague Pageant: The Town of Montague is holding a pageant this year as part of Montague Days scheduled for July 11, 12, and 13, 2014. Application forms are available at the main office.