It’s a “C-D” Day!
Welcome to the following guest staff today: Michael Hambly for Class Composition, Anna Ignacio for Craig Conohan, and Donna White for Kelly Pike.
Happy Birthday to Drew Christensen, Amanda Gormley, Bradford Guignard and Morgan King.
Lost and Found Items: There is quite a selection of clothing and other items in the Lost and Found area in the main lobby. Students are advised that all items not claimed by this Friday, May 16, will be donated to charity.
- The Culinary class is serving a summer brunch today; cost is $6. Check it out; there might be some left!
- Prom Committee will meet today at lunch in the Library Conference Room.
- Mr. Jamieson’s Island History class is having an open house on the morning of May 29 to celebrate and remember one-room school houses. The class is looking for entertainment to perform during the event. Please contact Andrea Smith or Anna Frankfurt if you’re interested. All acts are welcome.
- Grade Twelve Students: Viking Pin applications are due tomorrow. Only 1 school day is left to gather signatures and submit your application. Don’t miss out! Reminder: Teachers are NOT to be interrupted during class to sign Viking Pin applications!
- Female Athlete of the Week: Maddie Delodder pitched a perfect game for MRHS on Friday evening. She had a no-hitter and we won 4-0 against Rural. Maddie had a number of strikeouts.
- The Women’s Rugby team lost a tough game to Charlottetown Rural yesterday. Congratulations to the Men’s Rugby team on their 7-0 defeat over Charlottetown Rural last night!
- Today after school, we are offering a free Zumba class, open to all students and staff, from 3:15 to 4:00pm in the school gym. Students can use this time to make up Phys. Ed. Hours.
- Men’s Softball practice today at 5:30 pm.
- There will be a Women’s Softball practice today after school. All players are expected to attend.
- Men’s Spring Basketball will continue today from 5 to 7pm at MRHS.
- The Viking Strength & Conditioning Club offers the following training times: Tuesday 6:15-7:45, Thursday 6:15-7:45 and Sunday 1:00-2:30 pm. If you are interested in training for sport or just to get in shape, come on out. For more information contact Ron Annear at 628-7762.
- Spring Basketball on Mondays from 7-9 pm for all girls interested in playing for MRHS next year.
- Vikings & Red Rock Wrestling Clubs new practice times: Monday from 4:00 to 5:30 and Thursday from 3:00 to 4:30pm at Montague Consolidated.
- The MRHS pledge wall is now complete, thanks to Kelsey Johnston, Natasha Brandon & Michael Ferguson. Please stop by and read the 300+ pledges. They will remain on the cafeteria wall until the end of next week. Thanks to all students, staff and community members who made a pledge against racism!
- A huge thank you to Amelia Hameline for her recent book donations to the school library.
- Readers Circle with meet to discuss current book selection, The Gift of Six, in Library Seminar Room A on Thursday (tomorrow) at 12:05pm.
- There will be a dessert party on Wednesday, May 21, in the Cafeteria from 6 – 8 pm. Tickets are $5/person and all proceeds will go to the students traveling to CSLC and NASC. Come out and enjoy some great treats.
Upcoming Culinary Meals: (Book your meal at the ticket booth!)
- Friday, May 16, Pizza Party Meal: Delicious grilled flatbread covered with smooth tangy tomato sauce topped with fresh bell peppers, roasted red onions, chunks of tender chicken, crispy bacon crumbles, and of course, melted mozzarella cheese. Salad will be made with tender quinoa mixed with nutty asparagus tops, bright sweet cherry tomatoes and creamy herbed goat cheese, covered in a tangy red wine vinaigrette. One bite and you’ll fall in love! Dessert is an orange chocolate hazelnut cake, a moist chocolate cake filled with a rich chocolate-hazelnut spread and topped with a zesty, smooth orange buttercream icing. Roy Rogers Mocktail is a sweet and tangy mix of lemon-lime soda, gingerale and classic grenadine syrup garnished with a vibrant orange wedge. Cost is $6.
- Friday, May 23, Louisiana Meal: Main is a real Louisiana jambalaya, fluffy rice piled high with steamed vegetables, chicken and sausage simmered in a delectable Creole sauce, served with a side of fluffy sky high buttermilk biscuits. These delectable biscuits will melt in your mouth and will leave you wanting more. Wash down your meal with a fruity and extremely colourful Shirley Temple made with fizzy lemon drink, sweet grenadine, and a flavourful orange/pineapple juice, topped with a ravishing red cherry. Dessert is a miniature creamy key lime pie with a dollop of fresh whipped cream which will take you to the tropics. Cost is $6.
- Requests for the Friday song: Submit a copy of lyrics and your name to Ms. Dowd or Colton Matheson.
- All students are responsible for Student Fees which are payable at the main office.
- There are a number of scholarship deadlines happening this week. Make sure you get up to Student Services and check them out!
- shOUT PEI is hosting a Gender Sexuality Alliance Conference for PEI Teens. The workshop is Saturday, May 17, 2014, at Three Oaks Senior High School. Registration is free and there are applications up at Student Services or at the following link: SHOUT PEI 2014GSA Conference registration formfinal
- Any student interested in applying to Oak Acres Children’s Camp as a Camp Counsellor can stop into Student Services to pick up an application. Applications are due Monday, May 19, 2014.
- New Scholarship Opportunity: Credit Union Scholarship: Three one thousand dollar scholarships are available to Grade 12 Montague Regional High Students who will be going to College or University in the fall. Applicants or their parents must be an active member of a Credit Union on PEI. Other considerations include Extra-Curricular Involvement, Community Involvement, Leadership Roles, Career Goals, and Financial Need. Students must apply online by May 15.
- Application forms are now available in Student Services for the PEI Mutual Education Trust Scholarship. MRHS awards two of these scholarships every year. The deadline for the Scholarship is May 17, 2014 and applications must be handed in to either Mr. Conohan or Ms. Victor.
- Barry Gosby from PEI Government will be here at 1:00 pm on May 21 to present about Student Loan applications and how to apply. Interested students and parents should plan to attend this presentation taking place in the Library Conference room.
Public Service Annnouncements:
- Annual Garden of the Gulf Museum Essay Contest: Theme this year is “Confederation – Then and Now”. In your opinion, what are some significant changes our community has seen? Deadline is June 20, 2014 with categories in two divisions: ages 13-15 and ages 16-18. Submissions should have a cover page with Title, Name, Age and Contact Information. Drop off entries in person at the Museum or by email to email@example.com. Monetary prizes will be awarded.
- Miss Montague Pageant: The Town of Montague is holding a pageant this year as part of Montague Days scheduled for July 11, 12, and 13, 2014. Application forms are available at the main office.