It’s a “D-C” Day!
Welcome to the following guest staff today: Darrell Bradley for Lianne Garland, Alana Marchard for Caleigh Oehlke, Joseph Weale for Trisha Burrows, Glenda Kohli for Amy Beck (am), and Mike Hambly (am) and Donna White (pm) for Karen Malone, Mike Hambly for Jonathan Hayes (pm), and Wanda Cheverie for Gail Johnston.
Happy Birthday to: Spencer Arsenault, Evan MacDonald and Ms. Christie Beck.
Lost and Found Items: There is quite a selection of clothing and other items in the Lost and Found area in the main lobby. Students are advised that all items not claimed by Friday, May 16, will be donated to charity.
Congratulations to Ms. Amy Beck’s class; they are the winners of the pizza party for SADD week with an awesome original song and music video. A big thanks to Ms. Oehlke, Ms. Malone and Mr. Jamieson’s classes for their participation.
- Two jump drives have been found. Check at the main office if you are missing one.
- The last STRIVE meeting will be held today in the Library Conference Room. This is the last meeting and it is very important that all STRIVE members attend. Lunch will be provided.
- Grade Twelve Students: Viking Pin applications are due next Thursday. Only 4 school days are left to gather signatures and submit your application. Don’t miss out! Reminder: Teachers are NOT to be interrupted during class to sign Viking Pin applications!
- Good luck to the Softball teams who are participating in the Colonel Gray tournament this weekend.
- Women’s Softball team will have a quick meeting at Student Services at the first of morning break. It is regarding scheduling for the weekend so please make sure you attend.
- Final try-outs for a Basketball PEI U-16 Women’s Basketball team will be held at Charlottetown Rural on Sunday, May 11, from 1:00-3:00pm and on Tuesday, May 13, at Summerside Intermediate from 6:30-8:30pm. Girls aged 17 years and younger are welcome to attend.
- The Viking Strength & Conditioning Club offers the following training times: Tuesday 6:15-7:45, Thursday 6:15-7:45 and Sunday 1:00-2:30 pm. If you are interested in training for sport or just to get in shape, come on out. For more information contact Ron Annear at 628-7762.
- Spring Basketball on Mondays from 7-9 pm for all girls interested in playing for MRHS next year.
- Vikings & Red Rock Wrestling Clubs new practice times: Monday from 4:00 to 5:30 and Thursday from 3:00 to 4:30pm at Montague Consolidated.
- Farley Mowat, one of Canada’s best-known authors and a noted environmentalist, has died at age 92.
Mowat, author of dozens of works including Lost in the Barrens and Never Cry Wolf, introduced Canada to readers around the world and shared everything from his time abroad during the Second World War, to his travels in the North and his concern for the deteriorating environment. If you are interested in one of Farley Mowat’s wonderful books, please visit the display in the library.
- Readers Circle with meet to discuss current book selection, The Gift of Six, in Library Seminar Room A on Thursday, May 15, at 12:05pm.
- Yard Sale There will be a giant yard sale at Montague High on Saturday, May 10, 2014. Admission is $2/person and tables are $10/table. You can contact Teresa MacKinnon at 962-4355 if interested in a table.
Upcoming Culinary Meals: (Book your meal at the ticket booth!)
- Wednesday, May 14, Summer Brunch: Main dish is a savoury, open-faced pastry crust filled with Swiss cheese, ham and diced red pepper. The side dish is a garden salad with juicy lettuce and ripe cherry tomatoes, garnished with croutons and bacon served with an Italian lemon dressing. Drink is a tangy mint cooler, a refreshing minty virgin cocktail with an explosion of flavours to quench your thirst. Dessert is a delicious, mouth watering apple crisp, full of fresh apples with a crunchy oatmeal topping that melts in your mouth. Cost is $6.
- Friday, May 16, Pizza Party Meal: Delicious grilled flatbread covered with smooth tangy tomato sauce topped with fresh bell peppers, roasted red onions, chunks of tender chicken, crispy bacon crumbles, and of course, melted mozzarella cheese. Salad will be made with tender quinoa mixed with nutty asparagus tops, bright sweet cherry tomatoes and creamy herbed goat cheese, covered in a tangy red wine vinaigrette. One bite and you’ll fall in love! Dessert is an orange chocolate hazelnut cake, a moist chocolate cake filled with a rich chocolate-hazelnut spread and topped with a zesty, smooth orange buttercream icing. Roy Rogers Mocktail is a sweet and tangy mix of lemon-lime soda, gingerale and classic grenadine syrup garnished with a vibrant orange wedge. Cost is $6.
- Friday, May 23, Louisiana Meal: Main is a real Louisiana jambalaya, fluffy rice piled high with steamed vegetables, chicken and sausage simmered in a delectable Creole sauce, served with a side of fluffy sky high buttermilk biscuits. These delectable biscuits will melt in your mouth and will leave you wanting more. Wash down your meal with a fruity and extremely colourful Shirley Temple made with fizzy lemon drink, sweet grenadine, and a flavourful orange/pineapple juice, topped with a ravishing red cherry. Dessert is a miniature creamy key lime pie with a dollop of fresh whipped cream which will take you to the tropics. Cost is $6.
- Requests for the Friday song: Submit a copy of lyrics and your name to Ms. Dowd or Colton Matheson.
- All students are responsible for Student Fees which are payable at the main office.
- shOUT PEI is hosting a Gender Sexuality Alliance Conference for PEI Teens. The workshop is Saturday, May 17, 2014, at Three Oaks Senior High School. Registration is free and there are applications up at Student Services or at the following link: SHOUT PEI 2014GSA Conference registration formfinal
- Any student interested in applying to Oak Acres Children’s Camp as a Camp Counsellor can stop into Student Services to pick up an application. Applications are due Monday, May 19, 2014.
- Encounters With Canada is offering a great end of year promotion. To be eligible, students must be a new or first generation Canadian (they were born outside Canada or at least one of your parents was born in another country) and aged between 14 and 17 years. If interested visit student services for more info.
- New Scholarship Opportunity: Credit Union Scholarship: Three one thousand dollar scholarships are available to Grade 12 Montague Regional High Students who will be going to College or University in the fall. Applicants or their parents must be an active member of a Credit Union on PEI. Other considerations include Extra-Curricular Involvement, Community Involvement, Leadership Roles, Career Goals, and Financial Need. Students must apply online by May 15.
- Application forms are now available in Student Services for the PEI Mutual Education Trust Scholarship. MRHS awards two of these scholarships every year. The deadline for the Scholarship is May 17, 2014 and applications must be handed in to either Mr. Conohan or Ms. Victor.
- Barry Gosby from PEI Government will be here at 1:00 pm on May 21 to present about Student Loan applications and how to apply. Interested students and parents should plan to attend this presentation taking place in the Library Conference room.
Public Service Annnouncements:
- Annual Garden of the Gulf Museum Essay Contest: Theme this year is “Confederation – Then and Now”. In your opinion, what are some significant changes our community has seen? Deadline is June 20, 2014 with categories in two divisions: ages 13-15 and ages 16-18. Submissions should have a cover page with Title, Name, Age and Contact Information. Drop off entries in person at the Museum or by email to email@example.com. Monetary prizes will be awarded.