It’s a “C-D” Day!
Welcome to the following guest staff today: Michael Hambly for Karen Malone, Michael Brothers for Kim Mason, Donna White for Sharon Anderson, Trevor MacDonald for Amy Beck, Glenda Kohli for Holly McKenna, and Lauren Van Ekris for Ronnie Munn.
- A Blood Donor Clinic is being held today from 12:00 to 3:00 in the MRHS Cafeteria. To book an appointment, call 1-888-2-Donate (that’s 1-888-263-6283) or go online at http://www.blood.ca.
- Students and Staff: It’s the time of year again when Mrs. Killeen is looking for your book suggestions, as she drafts an order for the fall. Today is the last day to visit the library and fill out a pink slip with the book title and author name. Thanks in advance!
- Reminder: Teachers are NOT to be interrupted during class to sign Viking Pin applications!!
- Cafeteria: Subs will be available during lunch this week.
- Grade 12 students: Pick up your Viking Pin applications in the Library. Only 9 school days are left to gather signatures and submit your application. Don’t miss out!
- Female Athlete of the Week: Kirsten Whiteway who finished fourth in singles at the Badminton Provincials on Saturday.
- Male Athletes of the Week: Colton Morris and Jake Banks who finished second in doubles at the Badminton Provincials on Saturday.
- A try-out for a Basketball PEI U-16 Women’s Basketball team will be held at Charlottetown Rural on Sunday, May 4, from 1:00-3:00pm. Girls aged 17 years and younger are welcome to attend.
- Rugby and Softball forms and fees are being collected in the PE area this week from 12:00-12:20. Fee is $35 or $30 if you have already played a school sport this year. Forms and fees MUST be submitted before athletes can play in a game! Payment for rugby shorts is also being accepted at this time.
- Men’s Softball practices will be held on Friday at 5:30 pm.
- Track and Field practice after school on Tuesday and Thursday next week.
- Men’s Rugby players in Grade 11 or 12 who are interested in trying out for the PEI U18 Team should see Ms. Dowd or Mr. Connaughton for more information. Tryouts are on May 3-4.
- The Viking Strength & Conditioning Club offers the following training times: Tuesday 6:15-7:45, Thursday 6:15-7:45 and Sunday 1:00-2:30 pm. If you are interested in training for sport or just to get in shape, come on out. For more information contact Ron Annear at 628-7762.
- Spring Basketball on Mondays from 7-9 pm for all girls interested in playing for MRHS next year.
- Vikings & Red Rock Wrestling Clubs new practice times: Monday from 4:00 to 5:30 and Thursday from 3:00 to 4:30pm at Montague Consolidated.
- CBC’s Canada Writes http://www.cbc.ca/books/canadawrites/ is running the “Shakespeare Selfie” writing challenge until May 9; and they’re giving away an iPad mini especially to entrants aged 12 to 18. Shakespeare used selfies all the time. But instead of a camera, he used a quill. And instead of “selfies,” they were called “soliloquies.” Canada Writes will be asking Canadians to take a Shakespearean character, situate him or her in a present-day scenario, and write a new soliloquy or monologue for that character.
- Scholastic Book orders for May are currently available in the Library. Stop by today! Orders will be placed periodically over the next few weeks!
Upcoming Culinary Meals: (Book your meal at the ticket booth!)
- Thursday, May 8, Mexican Meal: Restaurant-style tortilla chips topped with specially seasoned beef, sautéed with green onions and jalapeno pepper, mounded with sharp cheddar cheese, salsa and sour cream. A must have for any Mexican food lover. Mexican skillet with sausages cooked just right, mixed in with a delicious mixture of tomatoes, chili powder and sour cream. For the side, a perfect Mexican soup with golden brown sautéed onions in a chicken broth, tomatoes and chopped green chilies for some spicy kick, topped with Monterey Jack cheese and parsley. For dessert, a moist tender spice cake beaten with ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and cloves, baked to perfection and covered with a decadent Dulce de Leche sauce, giving your palate a taste it won’t forget. Finish your dish by cooling your tongue with an ice cold pureed watermelon, blended together with sugar, lime and fresh mint leaves to make a delicious watermelon aqua fresco. This meal will leave you wanting more! Cost is $8.
- Wednesday, May 14, Summer Brunch: Main dish is a savoury, open-faced pastry crust filled with Swiss cheese, ham and diced red pepper, served with a side garden salad. Drink is a tangy mint cooler, a refreshing minty virgin cocktail with an explosion of flavours to quench your thirst. Dessert is a delicious, mouth watering apple crisp, full of fresh apples with a crunchy oatmeal topping that melts in your mouth. Cost is $6.
- Friday, May 16, Pizza Party Meal: Delicious grilled flatbread covered with smooth tangy tomato sauce topped with fresh bell peppers, roasted red onions, chunks of tender chicken, crispy bacon crumbles, and of course, melted mozzarella cheese. Salad will be made with tender quinoa mixed with nutty asparagus tops, bright sweet cherry tomatoes and creamy herbed goat cheese, covered in a tangy red wine vinaigrette. One bit and you’ll fall in love! Dessert is an orange chocolate hazelnut cake, a moist chocolate cake filled with a rich chocolate-hazelnut spread and topped with a zesty, smooth orange buttercream icing. Roy Rogers Mocktail is a sweet and tangy mix of lemon-lime soda, gingerale and classic grenadine syrup garnished with a vibrant orange wedge. Cost is $6.
- Friday, May 23, Jambalaya Meal: Main is a real Louisiana jambalaya, fluffy rice piled high with steamed vegetables, chicken and sausage simmered in a delectable Creole sauce, served with a side of fluffy sky high buttermilk biscuits. These delectable biscuits will melt in your mouth and will leave you wanting more. Wash down your meal with a fruity and extremely colourful Shirley Temple made with fizzy lemon drink, sweet grenadine, and a flavourful orange/pineapple juice, topped with a ravishing red cherry. Dessert is a miniature creamy key lime pie with a dollop of fresh whipped cream which will take you to the tropics. Cost is $6.
- The annual Battle of the Bands is coming again on Wednesday, May 7, from 7 to 9pm. Tickets are $7 and can be purchased in advance from any CSLC or NASC students.
- Yard Sale There will be a giant yard sale at Montague High on Saturday, May 10, 2014. Admission is $2/person and tables are $10/table. You can contact Teresa MacKinnon at 962-4355 if interested in a table.
- Requests for the Friday song: Submit a copy of lyrics and your name to Ms. Dowd or Colton Matheson.
- All students are responsible for Student Fees which are payable at the main office.
- Barry Gosbee from PEI Government will be here at 1:00 pm on May 21 to present about Student Loan applications and how to apply. Interested students and parents should plan to attend this presentation taking place in the Library Conference room.
- Application forms are now available in Student Services for the PEI Mutual Education Trust Scholarship. MRHS awards two of these scholarships every year. The deadline for the Scholarship is May 17, 2014 and applications must be handed in to either Mr. Conohan or Ms. Victor.
- Dalhousie University will be in Charlottetownon Monday, May 5,at 7pm,at the Charlottetown Confederation Centre. This will be a follow-up to the February info sessions and a great opportunity to learn more about course selection, registration, residence, orientation and more. For more details and to register, please go to www.dal.ca/welcomesession.
- Interested in going to vet school? The Atlantic Veterinary College, UPEI, is offering an exciting, academically based program to help students understand what is involved in veterinary medicine education. The AVC Summer Academy provides participants with a “big picture” of veterinary school through classroom lectures, field trips, and hands-on sessions. Participants explore the curriculum covered in each year of the Doctor of Veterinary Medicine program. Eligibility is based on those who are currently enrolled in, or who have been accepted into, university. Participants must have a minimum B+ (77%) average or GPA 3.3, and be 18 years of age or older. For more information, please visit upei.ca/avc/summerprograms. The deadline for applications is May 9, 2014.