It’s a “D-C” Day!
Welcome to the following guest staff today: Michael Hambly for Class Composition, Darrell Bradley for Chantelle Beaton, Michael Brothers for Jennifer Victor, Donna White, Brian Somers for Jared Cheverie (am), and Wanda Cheverie for Toby Murphy.
Happy Birthday to Justin MacKay and Samuel MacKenzie. We extend belated greetings to Pasha Jorden and Ms. Glenda McInnis who celebrated their birthdays over the weekend.
- Cafeteria: Subs will be available during lunch this week. This is a trial offer while Cafeteria staff members are checking the popularity of this menu item.
- Grade 12 students: Very few Viking Pin applications have been picked up in the library. Only 12 school days left to gather signatures and submit your application. Don’t miss out!
- Men’s Softball practices will be held on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday this week at 5:30 pm.
- Men’s Rugby players in Grade 11 or 12 who are interested in trying out for the PEI U18 Team should see Ms. Dowd or Mr. Connaughton for more information. Tryouts are on May 3-4.
- The Viking Strength & Conditioning Club offers the following training times: Tuesday 6:15-7:45, Thursday 6:15-7:45 and Sunday 1:00-2:30 pm. If you are interested in training for sport or just to get in shape, come on out. For more information contact Ron Annear at 628-7762.
- Spring Basketball on Mondays from 7-9 pm for all girls interested in playing for MRHS next year.
- Vikings & Red Rock Wrestling Clubs new practice times: Monday from 4:00 to 5:30 and Thursday from 3:00 to 4:30pm at Montague Consolidated.
- CBC’s Canada Writes http://www.cbc.ca/books/canadawrites/ is running the “Shakespeare Selfie” writing challenge until May 9; and they’re giving away an iPad mini especially to entrants aged 12 to 18. Shakespeare used selfies all the time. But instead of a camera, he used a quill. And instead of “selfies,” they were called “soliloquies.” Canada Writes will be asking Canadians to take a Shakespearean character, situate him or her in a present-day scenario, and write a new soliloquy or monologue for that character.
- Students and Staff: please stop by the library and make a pledge to stop racism! As a follow up initiative to winning 1st prize in the Anti Racism Writing Contest with PEI Association of Newcomers, Kelsey Johnston, along with Mrs. Killeen, will be creating an anti-racism pledge wall with students to continue raising awareness on this important issue. Students will have an opportunity to make a pledge against racism and it will be put on display in our school. It’s a simple, but effective way to remind students of their role.
- Scholastic Book orders for April and May are currently available in the Library. Stop by today! Orders will be placed periodically over the next few weeks!
- SADD: There will be an important SADD meeting Tuesday at 11:40am. Please bring your lunch.
- Prom Committee will meet Tuesday after school in the Learning Centre and Wednesday at Lunch in the Library Conference Room.
- Tacos in a Bag will be available again on Wednesday, April 30; $5 includes a bag of Doritos, all the fixings, and a juice. They will be sold from the culinary room and all proceeds will go to the CSLC and NASC students. Come early so you don’t miss out!
- Blood Donor Clinic: Students over 17 and staff are reminded of the Blood Donor Clinic on Thursday, May 1, from 12:00 to 3:00 in the MRHS Cafeteria. To book an appointment, call 1-888-2-Donate (that’s 1-888-263-6283) or go online at http://www.blood.ca.
- The annual Battle of the Bands is coming again on Wednesday, May 7, from 7 to 9pm. Tickets are $7 and can be purchased in advance from any CSLC or NASC students.
- For the month of April, MRHS will be hosting the second clothing drive of the year. This time, we are reaching out to the community and really pushing for a great turn out! If you have unwanted clothing at home, or know someone who does, pick up a donation bag at the Student Council Office and bring it in! All proceeds will go the Canadian Diabetes Association. You’ve got the rest of the month! Spread the word!
- Yard Sale There will be a giant yard sale at Montague High on Saturday, May 10, 2014. Admission is $2/person and tables are $10/table. You can contact Teresa MacKinnon at 962-4355 if interested in a table.
- Requests for the Friday song: Submit a copy of lyrics and your name to Ms. Dowd or Colton Matheson.
- All students are responsible for Student Fees which are payable at the main office.
- Application forms are now available in Student Services for the PEI Mutual Education Trust Scholarship. MRHS awards two of these scholarships every year. The deadline for the Scholarship is May 17, 2014 and applications must be handed in to either Mr. Conohan or Ms. Victor.
- There is an opportunity for Island students to travel to Kenya in July 2015. This trip is part of Farmers Helping Farmers 35th Anniversary Celebration. This trip is named Kenya 2015 Educational Travel for Global Awareness and Volunteerism. Information meeting is scheduled for April 30 at 6:30 pm at Charlottetown Rural High. Email questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Dalhousie University will be in Charlottetownon Monday, May 5,at 7pm,at the Charlottetown Confederation Centre. This will be a follow-up to the February info sessions and a great opportunity to learn more about course selection, registration, residence, orientation and more. For more details and to register, please go to www.dal.ca/welcomesession.
- Interested in going to vet school? The Atlantic Veterinary College, UPEI, is offering an exciting, academically based program to help students understand what is involved in veterinary medicine education. The AVC Summer Academy provides participants with a “big picture” of veterinary school through classroom lectures, field trips, and hands-on sessions. Participants explore the curriculum covered in each year of the Doctor of Veterinary Medicine program. Eligibility is based on those who are currently enrolled in, or who have been accepted into, university. Participants must have a minimum B+ (77%) average or GPA 3.3, and be 18 years of age or older. For more information, please visit upei.ca/avc/summerprograms. The deadline for applications is May 9, 2014.
Public Service Announcements:
- The Town of Montague is looking for volunteers for Montague Days. This would look great on a resume. For more information, contact Brendan Curran.
- Any students interested in coaching Eastern Eagles U12 or U17 Men’s Soccer this summer should see Ms. Dowd for more information.