It’s a “D-C” Day!
Welcome to the following guest staff today: Mike Hambly for Class Composition, Darrell Bradley for Jennifer Victor, and Glenda Kohli for Ralph Jamieson.
Happy Birthday to William Henbest and Alysha White. We extend belated greetings to the following students who celebrated their birthdays over this past weekend: Emily Benoit, Kayla Dunn, Kyle Robertson, and Sam Butler.
This is Spring Fling Week:
- Tuesday is Twin Day.
- Wednesday is Work-Out Wednesday (80’s workout clothes).
- Thursday is Viking Swag Day and Pie Smash in the Cafeteria (Come ready to bid on teachers and throw some pies in their faces.).
- Friday is PJ Day and the Spring Fling Dance from 7 – 10 pm. Cost is $8/person. Tickets will be on sale in the ticket booth until Tuesday, April 22, so please don’t miss out! In order to purchase a ticket, you must have a Dance Contract signed by your parents. The contract can be picked up in the main office. If you are bringing a “Sign-in”, the Sign-in Contracts were due last Thursday, April 17.
- Are you missing a jump drive? We have two in the office; they were left behind last week.
- MRHS’s Youth Blood for Life Club will be hosting a “What’s Your Type” blood-typing clinic today in the main lobby at lunch. This is a chance to find out what your blood type is. If you are under 17, you need a permission form that can be picked up from Mr. Trainor in Room 131. This clinic is to prepare us for the Blood Donor Clinic that will be held here on Thursday, May 1.
- Prom Committee meeting today after school! Meeting is in Learning Centre B.
- Grade 12 students: Very few Viking Pin applications have been picked up in the library. Only 17 school days left to gather signatures and submit your application. Don’t miss out!
- MRHS Female Athlete of the Week: Kirsten Whiteway won both singles and doubles at the Zone 4 Juvenile Badminton last week.
- MRHS Male Athlete of the Week: Colton Morris won both singles and doubles at the Zone 4 Juvenile Badminton meet last week.
- Men’s and Women’s Rugby Practice on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday this week.
- Women’s Softball: Tuesday and Thursday of this week after school until 5:00 pm. If you have any questions, contact Ms. Trainor or Ms. Victor.
- Men’s spring basketball training will continue for Grades 7-11 students on Tuesday and Wednesday this week from 5-7pm.
- The Viking Strength & Conditioning Club offers the following training times: Tuesday 6:15-7:45, Thursday 6:15-7:45 and Sunday 1:00-2:30 pm. If you are interested in training for sport or just to get in shape, come on out. For more information contact Ron Annear at 628-7762.
- Spring Basketball on Mondays from 7-9 pm for all girls interested in playing for MRHS next year.
- Vikings & Red Rock Wrestling Clubs new practice times: Monday from 4:00 to 5:30 and Thursday from 3:00 to 4:30pm at Montague Consolidated.
- Students and Staff: please stop by the library and make a pledge to stop racism! As a follow up initiative to winning 1st prize in the Anti Racism Writing Contest with PEI Association of Newcomers, Kelsey Johnston, along with Mrs. Killeen, will be creating an anti-racism pledge wall with students to continue raising awareness on this important issue. Students will have an opportunity to make a pledge against racism and it will be put on display in our school. It’s a simple, but effective way to remind students of their role. Some community members have already signed pledges during the Arts in Action evening and we will offer this again during Parent-Teacher Interviews.
- Scholastic Book orders for April and May are currently available in the Library. Stop by today! Orders will be placed periodically over the next few weeks!
- Blood Donor Clinic: Here at MRHS on Thursday, May 1. This clinic is for people 17 and over and is open to the public for appointments. Please book online at www.blood.ca or phone 1-888-2 Donate.
- Parent Teacher Interviews are scheduled for this Thursday, April 24, from 6:00 to 8:30pm.
- Relay for Life team will be having a Pancake Breakfast this Friday, April 25. $3 for two pancakes & syrup. Pay an extra $1 for access to the topping bar or $1 for every extra pancake. Come to the Cafeteria from 7:50 to 8:35am for your pancakes!
- Tacos in a Bag will be available again on Wednesday, April 30; $5 includes a bag of Doritos, all the fixings, and a juice. They will be sold from the culinary room and all proceeds will go to the CSLC and NASC students. Come early so you don’t miss out!
- For the month of April, MRHS will be hosting the second clothing drive of the year. This time, we are reaching out to the community and really pushing for a great turn out! If you have unwanted clothing at home, or know someone who does, pick up a donation bag at the Student Council Office and bring it in! All proceeds will go the Canadian Diabetes Association. You’ve got the rest of the month! Spread the word!
- Yard Sale There will be a giant yard sale at Montague High on Saturday, May 10, 2014. Admission is $2/person and tables are $10/table. You can contact Teresa MacKinnon at 962-4355 if interested in a table.
- Requests for the Friday song: Submit a copy of lyrics and your name to Ms. Dowd or Colton Matheson.
- All students are responsible for Student Fees which are payable at the main office.
- UPEI First Advisement Centre will be here on April 24 from 5:30 to 8:30pm.Even students in specialized programs should meet with them. Students can sign up for an appointment time in Student Services.
- Interested in going to vet school? The Atlantic Veterinary College, UPEI, is offering an exciting, academically based program to help students understand what is involved in veterinary medicine education. The AVC Summer Academy provides participants with a “big picture” of veterinary school through classroom lectures, field trips, and hands-on sessions. Participants explore the curriculum covered in each year of the Doctor of Veterinary Medicine program. Eligibility is based on those who are currently enrolled in, or who have been accepted into, university. Participants must have a minimum B+ (77%) average or GPA 3.3, and be 18 years of age or older. For more information, please visit upei.ca/avc/summerprograms. The deadline for applications is May 9, 2014.