It’s a “C-D” Day!
Welcome to the following guest staff today: Mike Hambly for Glenda McInnis, Joey Weale for Anne MacKinnon, Glenda Kohli for Kim Mason, Trent Whitty for Craig Conohan, Kirk White for Lianne Garland (am), and Krista MacFarlane for Sandra Hicken (pm).
Happy Birthday to Jesse Annear and Kennedy deVries.
Congratulations to Breanna Ching! As our school champion for the Poetry in Voice recitation contest, Breanna competed in the online semi-finals and has been selected to represent P.E.I. at the National Finals in Vancouver in May. Good luck, Breanna.
Congratulations to Grade 12 student Kelsey Johnston who has won first prize for her poem submission in the Anti-Racism competition through PEI Association for Newcomers to Canada. Montague High wins a $200 prize for Kelsey’s accomplishment (she also is receiving a $200 cash prize). The anti-racism competition is to commemorate the International Day for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination. In the coming weeks, as a follow up initiative, Kelsey, along with Mrs. Killeen, will be creating an anti-racism pledge wall with students to continue raising awareness on this important issue. Students will have an opportunity to make a pledge against racism and it will be put on display in our school. It’s a simple, but effective way to remind students of their role.
Congratulations to Lisa Morrison, in recognition of her outstanding achievement in the 2013-2014
National Student Poetry Contest with Polar Express Publishing. Lisa’s poem, None in a Billion has made it through the first round. Lisa was selected among thousands of student entries. As a result, her poem and biography will be published in a collection entitled “Insight”. Winners and all prizes will be announced in early June! Good luck, Lisa!
Congratulations to Trent McGuigan, in recognition of his outstanding achievement in the 2013-2014 National Student Short Story Contest with Polar Express Publishing. Trent’s short story, Sam has made it through the first round. Trent was selected among thousands of student entries. As a result, his short story and biography will be published in a collection entitled “Let There Be Dragons”. Winners and all prizes will be announced in early June! Good luck, Trent! Information on any future entries for this program can be received from Mrs. Killeen.
- A white/blue jump drive (16g) has been found. Check at the office if you are missing this item.
- Prom Committee meeting today at 12 noon in the Library Conference Room.
- There will be an important SADD meeting today at 12:05 in Mr. Jamieson’s room.
- Cafeteria Promotion: Anyone who spends $6 or more on one transaction in the Cafeteria can enter in a draw to win a movie night for two at Empire Theatres (value of $50). This promotion runs March 24 to April 4.
- Students who are eating breakfast in the Cafeteria are asked to clean up after yourselves in the morning. Some folks are leaving quite a mess behind, and this isn’t appreciated!
- Staff are asked to please check with Mrs. Killeen to ensure your extracurricular group/sports team is recognized on the Viking Pin application. You have until end of the day Thursday to do this. Thanks.
- Teachers, please see Mrs. Killeen by Friday if you did not get a copy of your book inventory due next month.
- Please be advised effective Wednesday, April 2, the book room will be closed to all staff until Thursday, April 10. Please see Mrs. Killeen with any questions.
- MRHS Female Athletes of the Week:
- Kaytlin Chandler won a gold medal in wrestling at the New Brunswick Open and a silver medal at Atlantics. Congratulations Kaytlin!
- Maddie Sibbick won a gold medal at Power Lifting Provincials on March 12. Congratulations Maddie!
- Brittany Collette won a silver medal at Power Lifting Provincials. Congratulations Brittany!
- MRHS Males Athletes of the Week:
- Jason Reeves won gold medals in wrestling at the New Brunswick Open and at Atlantics. Jason was also named Outstanding Wrestler at the Atlantic tournament. Congratulations Jason!
- Jesse Campbell won a gold medal at Power Lifting Provincials on March 12. Congratulations Jesse!
- The Leadership class is hosting MRHS Viking Spring Training. Students and teachers can participate in the exercises which include: 1 mile run, 3 mile run, 5 minute bike, chin ups, plank and vertical jump. The top male and female of each of the 6 events will win a $25 gift certificate to Sport Check. If you participate in 5 out of the 6 events, then you can also be entered in a draw to win a prize of a $25 gift certificate to Sport Check. These activities can be completed anytime when the Fitness Centre is open. The teacher supervisor needs to record your results which must be submitted to Mrs. Dowd or Dustin MacDonald. Feel free to contact any of the leadership students for more information. Come out and challenge yourself and see if you can beat the records!
- There will be Spring Basketball on Mondays from 7-9 pm for all girls interested in playing for MRHS next year.
- Intramural Badminton: Tuesday and Thursday at 12:00 to 12:20 in the gymnasium.
- The Power Lifting Team trains on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 3:15pm in the Fitness Centre.
- Vikings & Red Rock Wrestling Clubs practice Monday and Wednesday 3:30 to 5:00 at Montague Consolidated.
- Prom Vote! This Wednesday students from the Prom Committee will be visiting B Block Grade 12 classes to discuss the options for prom night. Students will vote during this class.
o Option A – Sit Down Formal Dinner $25
o Option B – Dance and Finger Foods $25
- Readers Circle will meet Thursday at lunch in Library Seminar Room A at 12:05. Bring your lunch.
- Grade 12 students have one last opportunity to order grad clothing. . . Clothes can be ordered in Room 119 from Wednesday, March 26, to Friday, March 28.
- The student-teacher hockey game is now scheduled for Wednesday, March 26, at 7:10 pm at the Montague Wellness Centre. Please be advised that if school is cancelled on Wednesday, we will postpone our student teacher hockey game to a later date.
- Requests for the Friday song: Submit a copy of lyrics and your name to Ms. Dowd.
- All students are responsible for Student Fees which are payable at the main office.
- Prince Edward Island Fishermen’s Association Member Scholarships deadline is Tuesday, April 1, 2014. It is important that students who are eligible for the scholarship apply. Check the scholarship board in Student Services for details.
- Next Strive meeting is scheduled for April 1 in the Library Conference room. Lunch is provided. The last meeting of the year is scheduled for May 6.
- Youth Ambassador Program 2014: This Exchange program is open for Canadian youth who will be 15-18 years old by July 21, 2014. The program sponsors seek energetic, mature applicants who are ready to advance their skills in order to be effective leaders in their schools and communities. Preference will be given to applicants who have not had previous experience studying or traveling in the United States. The group of selected participants must represent the diversity of Canada – geographic, ethnic, socio-economic, new Canadians (first-generation Canadians and Canadians born outside Canada), indigenous, multi-generational Canadians and gender balance. The program will run from July 21 to August 10, 2014 and takes place in various US cities. More information about the program and the application materials can be found here: http://www.plattsburgh.edu/offices/academic/cesca/youthleadership2014.php
- UPEI First Year Advisement Centre will be here at MRHS on April 3, from 5:00 to 8:00pm. Students attending UPEI next year should plan to sign up for a time where they can come with their parents and speak with a representative from the university. Reps will assist students in course selection as well as answer any other questions they may have. Students can sign up in Student Services for an appointment time.