It’s a “D-C” Day!
Welcome to the following guest staff today: Janet MacDougall-Turner for Amy Beck, Michael Brothers for Bobby Nicholson, Glenda Kohli for Holly McKenna, Krista MacFarlane for Angela Killeen, and Mike Hambly for Jennifer Victor.
Happy Birthday to Mitchell Johnston, Gracyn MacLean, Bryanna Noonan, and Madelaine Sibbick. Special birthday greetings to Ms. Natasha Dowd!
Congratulations to members of the MRHS gymnastics team, Makayla Rayner and Jory Donovan, on their recent results at the Provincial Championships in Kensington! Jory placed 2nd on vault, 2nd on floor and 2nd overall. Makayla was 4th on vault, 6th on floor and 7th all around. These girls showed a lot of dedication and commitment this year. It is believed that they are the first gymnasts ever, or at least in recent history, to represent MRHS at the PEISAA Provincial Championships in gymnastics. Congrats!
- Students who are eating breakfast in the Cafeteria are asked to clean up after yourselves in the morning. Some folks are leaving quite a mess behind, and this isn’t appreciated!
- Student-teacher wheelchair basketball game today at 12 noon. All teachers are invited to play!
- The following people need to pass in their Cooperative Work Studies folders right away: Chris Butler, Montana Dunn, Dylan Ferguson, Hannah Higginbotham, Blake Jesso, Taylor Marlin, Chandler Matheson, Laura McQuillan, Dakota Quinn, Sarah Somers, Brody MacDonald, Charlotte Matters and Nikeda MacDonald. No marks can be entered until folders are passed in!
- Prom Committee meeting today at 12 noon in the Library Conference room!
- All Grad Committee members are asked to please meet at 11:42 (beginning of lunch) for a yearbook photo! Room 119.
- Peer Helpers: There will be Peer Helping Block meetings today in the Physics Lab.
- If you are interested in attending the NASC leadership conference in Orlando, Florida, today is the last day to see Ms. Hicken for your permission letter and itinerary.
- Scholastic Book orders for the month of April have arrived. Please place your orders with Mrs. Killeen at any time!
- Library monitors are busy keeping track of Paralympic medal standings. Poster is in Library window. Canada is currently in 4th place! GO CANADA GO!
- Teachers, please see Mrs. Killeen if you did not get a copy of your book inventory due next month.
- Staff are asked to please check with Mrs. Killeen to ensure your group/sports team is recognized on Viking Pin application.
- The MRHS Female Athletes of the Week for the week of February 24-March 3 are our three senior basketball players: Michaela LaPorte, Shanley Saunders, and Alanna VanWiechen. All three played with heart in a tough semi-final overtime loss.
- The MRHS Male Athletes of the Week for the week of February 24-March 3 are Tristan Dawson and Tynan Murphy. Congrats to this week’s co-winners for being named as First and Second team All-Stars respectively, for the PESSAA AA Men’s Basketball season.
- Men’s Rugby today after school in the gym. Running shoes and gym gear are a necessity. If you can’t make practice, please see Mr. Connaughton.
- All students interested in playing badminton should sign up in the PE area. Practice times will be: Monday 5-7 pm, Thursday 5-7 pm, and Sunday 5-7 pm with possible additional practice times to be added at a later date. There will be no practices over March break.
- Intramural Badminton: Tuesday and Thursday at 12:00 to 12:20 in the gymnasium.
- The Power Lifting Team trains on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 3:15pm in the Fitness Centre.
- Vikings & Red Rock Wrestling Clubs practice Monday and Wednesday 3:30 to 5:00 at Montague Consolidated.
- The student-teacher hockey game has been re-scheduled to Wednesday, March 26, at 7:10 pm at the Montague Wellness Centre.
- Readers’ Circle meets on Thursday at 12:00 noon in Library Seminar Room A. Please bring your lunch!
- This Friday’s Culinary meal includes cream of broccoli soup, rolls, mashed potatoes, carrots, peas, honey garlic pork, lemon meringue tarts and creamy pink banana smoothies. Price is $8; book your meal now!
- Requests for the Friday song: Submit a copy of lyrics and your name to Ms. Dowd.
- All students are responsible for Student Fees which are payable at the main office.
- Next Strive meeting is scheduled for April 1 in the Library Conference room. Lunch is provided. The last meeting of the year is scheduled for May 6.
- The topic for the UPEI Avery Scholarship is now available at Student Services.
- Camp Abegweit is looking for teens to volunteer as counselors-in-training this summer! If you will be 15 as of July 1, 2014, you are invited to fill out an application form at http://www.campabegweit.ca. Deadline for applications is May 30, 2014.
- The University of Prince Edward Island is extending an invitation to high school students to attend the 2014 Open Class Days during their March Break on Tuesday and Wednesday (March 18 and 19). This is a great opportunity for students to experience UPEI in the company of friends and classmates and live a day in the life of a university student. The University will provide lunch, offer information sessions, and have campus tours. Instructions for Registration will follow soon.
- UPEI First Year Advisement Centre will be here at MRHS on April 3, from 5:00 to 8:00pm. Students attending UPEI next year should plan to sign up for a time where they can come with their parents and speak with a representative from the university. Reps will assist students in course selection as well as answer any other questions they may have. Students can sign up in Student Services for an appointment time.