It’s a “C-D” Day!
Welcome to the following guest staff today: Wanda Cheverie for Gail Johnston.
Happy Birthday to: Brittany Adams.
International Development Week:
- February 2 to 8 is International Development Week and MRHS is hosting a series of inspirational speakers who are presenting Monday through Friday at lunch in the Library Conference Room.
- Today, Leanne Prescott, a World Vision Youth Mentor, will be presenting in the Library. Come see how you can get involved with things like volunteering, the 30 Hour Famine, and Youth Ambassadorships. Leanne will also be sticking around after school to do an interactive workshop on poverty.
Highlights for Today:
- SADD meeting is scheduled for today at 12:05 in Room 224.
- Due to special meetings being held in the Library today, it will be closed to regular visitors during lunch break. Students who are attending the STRIVE meeting and the World Vision presentation are welcome.
- STRIVE meeting today at noon in the seminar room in the Library. New members are welcome. STRIVE is a Grade 12 scholarship program for students who have demonstrated significant improvement in academics, attendance and attitude. Two $1500 scholarships are up for grabs! Lunch is provided. See Mr. Conohan or Ms Victor for details.
- There has been a change of plans…. Trip deposits for the Halifax Choir and Band trip are now not due to Ms. McInnis until Tuesday, February 18.
- The Choir starts rehearsing again today at 3:30pm and Wednesday morning at 7:30. See you there!
- Want a new and interesting way to tell that special person that you love them? If you are interested in purchasing a singing love telegram to send to a loved one, see a member of the Disney Choir or contact Montague High School and choose from our list of songs. The telegrams cost $20 and will be delivered anywhere in Kings County or the Charlottetown area.
- Anyone want to get a jump start on their studies this semester? Want a tutor to help you with that tricky subject? MRHS now has FREE peer tutors available in the morning, at lunch and after school. Come on down to Learning Centre B to get matched with the perfect tutor for you!
- The Learning Centre is available at lunch from 12:05-12:30 for anyone wishing for a little extra help with that tricky paper, their math homework, or any other class they need help with. Come on down and let us help you!!
From the Library:
- Today’s Quote: “Libraries are our friends.” (Neil Gaiman)
- Students are invited to participate in an anti-racism creative competition. There are 3 categories: short story/poem, poster and video – entries are to reflect an anti-racism theme. All contest details are online at www.peianc.com or check out the poster in the school Library. There is a cash prize for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place in each of the three categories, plus a $200 cash prize for the school of the 1st place winner in each category. Competition closes on March 7, 2014 at 4:30pm.
- The MRHS Female Athlete of the Week for the week of January 27-31 is Alanna VanWiechen for her offensive performance in a tough loss to Charlottetown Rural. Alanna scored over half of her team’s points in the Rural game.
- The basketball team bus will depart for Colonel Gray at 3:45 pm today. Good luck to both teams!
- The Power Lifting Team trains on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 3:15pm in the Fitness Centre.
- Vikings & Red Rock Wrestling Clubs practice Monday and Wednesday 3:30 to 5:00 at Montague Consolidated.
- Requests for the Friday song: Submit a copy of lyrics and your name to Ms. Dowd or Brent Deagle.
- All students are responsible for Student Fees which are payable at the main office.
- The Disney Choir will be presenting the 3rd Annual Love Songs Concert “Gossip Girl: Love Abounds” on Tuesday, February 11, at MRHS at 7:00 pm. Tickets are $6 for adults and $5 for students and seniors. There will be snacks for sale, a cake auction, and a “Best Loveseat in the House” Contest. Come checkout this love-filled evening!
- All Grade 12 students who are planning on attending college or university next year, MUST come into Student Services and fill out a transcript request form. If you have any questions please see Mr. Conohan or Ms. Victor.
- Any students applying to Cape Breton University should visit Student Services for information regarding scholarships.
- Holland College will be visiting the school on February 6 from 12:15-1:00pm for an information session. All Grade 12’s considering Holland College should attend the session. You must sign up in Student Services as well get your teachers’ permission.
- All Grade 12 students considering attending UPEI next year should sign up for an information session planned for February 10, from 12:30 to 1:45. This is very important! You must have teacher permission to attend this session. Remember to sign up in Student Services!
- On Thursday, February 13, a representative from Acadia will be doing an info session for students who have applied or are considering applying to Acadia. The meeting will take place at Student Services during lunch so students should bring their lunches to the meeting. Interested students are asked to sign up at Student Services.
- The Rotary Club of Charlottetown will be awarding scholarships for the 2014-15 school year to physically challenged Island students attending a university or college. Deadline is March 7th, 2014. See Student Services for more information on this one and the many more scholarships on our Scholarship board.