Welcome to the following guest staff today: Janet MacDougall-Turner, Donna White for Matthew Killeen, Dean Lackie for Jared Cheverie.
Happy Birthday to: Kai Boyle and Hanna Weavers.
Highlights for Today:
- Cafeteria is closed during the rest of this week.
Procedures When Weather Affects Exams:
- If there is a delay, exams will be delayed by the same amount of time.
- If early dismissal is required, the exam to be written that afternoon will be re-scheduled for January 30 at 9:00 am.
- If a school is cancelled for the day:
- Examinations will be written on the following day.
- If school is cancelled on January 30, 2014:
- Examinations will be held on January 31.
- End of Semester Administration Day will be moved to February 3.
- If all schools are closed on January 31, 2014:
- End of Semester Administration Day for all schools will be moved to February 3.
- February 4 will be the first day of second semester.
- If classes are cancelled on January 31 in one school or a Family of Schools:
- End of Semester Administration for affected schools will be moved to February 3.
- February 4 will be the first day of second semester for affected schools.
From the Library:
- The Library is in “exam mode” this week. This means absolutely no noise will be tolerated at any time throughout the day in the Library, especially during lunch. The Library is for individual study only.
- Students are invited to participate in an anti-racism creative competition. There are 3 categories: short story/poem, poster and video – entries are to reflect an anti-racism theme. All contest details are online at www.peianc.com or check out the poster in the school Library. There is a cash prize for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place in each of the three categories, plus a $200 cash prize for the school of the 1st place winner in each category. Competition closes on March 7, 2014 at 4:30pm.
- The Power Lifting Team trains on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 3:15pm in the Fitness Centre.
- Vikings & Red Rock Wrestling Clubs practice Monday and Wednesday 3:30 to 5:00 at Montague Consolidated.
- Requests for the Friday song: Submit a copy of lyrics and your name to Ms. Dowd or Brent Deagle.
- All students are responsible for Student Fees which are payable at the main office.
- Today is the last day to order a yearbook. Time is running out! Don’t forget that you can make a down payment for your yearbook and pay the rest before they arrive in June. You can order from the website using a credit card http://www.jostens.com/apps/shop/yrbk_catalog.asp?cid=152996&pfid=2013101204154867059&affiliateId=1111993 or you can see Olivia Jamieson or Sabryna Schurman to pay by cash or cheque.
- Holland College will be visiting the school on February 6 from 12:15-1:00pm for an information session. All Grade 12’s considering Holland College should attend the session. You must sign up in Student Services as well get your teachers’ permission.
- All Grade 12 students considering attending UPEI next year should sign up for an information session planned for February 10, from 12:30 to 1:45. This is very important! You must have teacher permission to attend this session. Remember to sign up in Student Services!
- The Rotary Club of Charlottetown will be awarding scholarships for the 2014-15 school year to physically challenged Island students attending a university or college. Deadline is March 7th, 2014. See Student Services for more information on this one and the many more scholarships on our Scholarship board.
- The next STRIVE meeting is February 4 at noon in the seminar room in the library. New members are welcome. STRIVE is a Grade 12 scholarship program for students who have demonstrated significant improvement in academics, attendance and attitude. Two $1500 scholarships are up for grabs! Lunch is provided. See Mr. Conohan or Ms Victor for details.
Public Service Announcements:
- Students… Parks Canada is hiring! Ready to put some summer back in your summer job? Want to help us educate, protect and support our natural and cultural heritage areas? Interested in being part of a team providing quality visitor experiences and memories to last a lifetime? If so, we have bilingual and English positions available at Prince Edward Island National Park (Cavendish – Dalvay and Greenwich), Green Gables Heritage Place, and Port-la-Joye /Fort Amherst National Historic Site. To apply, submit an application and attach a resume on-line to the Federal Student Employment Work Experience Program (FSWEP) www.jobs-emplois.gc.ca. Apply now!