It’s a “D-C” Day!
Welcome to the following guest staff today: Mike Hambly for Class Composition, Donna White for Chantelle Beaton, and Wanda Cheverie for Gail Greene.
Happy Birthday to Jonah Wilton.
Procedures When Weather Affects Exams:
- If there is a delay, exams will be delayed by the same amount of time.
- If early dismissal is required, the exam to be written that afternoon will be re-scheduled for January 30 at 9:00 am.
- If a school is cancelled for the day:
- Examinations will be written on the following day.
- If school is cancelled on January 30, 2014:
- Examinations will be held on January 31.
- End of Semester Administration Day will be moved to February 3.
- If all schools are closed on January 31, 2014:
- End of Semester Administration Day for all schools will be moved to February 3.
- February 4 will be the first day of second semester.
- If classes are cancelled on January 31 in one school or a Family of Schools:
- End of Semester Administration for affected schools will be moved to February 3.
- February 4 will be the first day of second semester for affected schools.
Highlights for Today:
- We are operating on a One Hour Delay this morning:
- 9:45am – A Block
- 10:40 to 10:50am – Morning Break
- 10:50am – B Block
- 11:43am – Lunch Break
- Today is Sub Day in the Cafeteria! Instead of the daily special, they will be serving up fresh subs or wraps. You can pre-order by 10:30am and your sub/wrap will be ready for pick up at 11:30am. Various combinations are available; prices range from $3.75 to $5.50 for a 6” sub or wrap.
- Staff and students: Mrs. Killeen is putting together a display case in honour of the upcoming Olympics in Sochi. If you have anything to contribute, please see Mrs. Killeen in the Library before the end of the week.
- Choir students who would like catalogues for your upcoming fundraiser should see Ms. Hicken.
- Choir students who would like Steerman’s meat forms to sell meat should see Ms. Christie Beck.
From the Library:
- The Library is in “exam mode” for the next two weeks. This means absolutely no noise will be tolerated at any time throughout the day in the Library, especially during lunch. The Library is for individual study only.
- Groups are asked to sign out study rooms. This is on a first come, first served, basis. Time in rooms may need to be limited if necessary. During exams, these rooms may be used for oral testing, scribing, etc. Please see Mrs. Killeen with any questions.
- The following students should see Ms. Dowd this morning: Tyler Deagle, Brent Deagle, Chase MacLeod, and Cody Forrester.
- The MRHS Female Athlete of the Week for the week of January 13-17 is Zoie Farish of the Women’s Basketball team. Zoie showed tough defense, hustle on both ends of the court, willingness to get on the floor after loose balls, and good outside shooting.
- The Power Lifting Team trains on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 3:15pm in the Fitness Centre.
- Vikings & Red Rock Wrestling Clubs practice Monday and Wednesday 3:30 to 5:00 at Montague Consolidated.
- Requests for the Friday song: Submit a copy of lyrics and your name to Ms. Dowd or Brent Deagle.
- All students are responsible for Student Fees which are payable at the main office.
- Exams start this Friday and run through to Thursday, January 30, 2014.
- Students are reminded that many colleges and universities require a resume with their applications. During the week of exams, Lynn Hayes will be available to assist students in developing resumes. Please contact Lynn in Learning Centre A if you would like any assistance with your resume.
- Time is running out! Do you want a yearbook this year? Remember that you only have until January 30 to order yours. You can order from the website using a credit card http://www.jostens.com/apps/shop/yrbk_catalog.asp?cid=152996&pfid=2013101204154867059&affiliateId=1111993 or you can see Olivia Jamieson or Sabryna Schurman to pay by cash or cheque. Don’t forget that you can make a down payment for your yearbook and pay the rest before they arrive in June. Hurry up.
- All Grade 12 students considering attending UPEI next year should sign up for an information session planned for February 10, from 12:30 to 1:45. This is very important! You must have teacher permission to attend this session. Remember to sign up in Student Services!
- Upcoming Scholarship deadlines; see the Scholarship Board in Student Services for more information.
- Schulich Leader Scholarship (Jan.23)
- Canada’s Luckiest Student 2 Student Life Network Contest (Jan. 23)
- Terry Fox Humanitarian Award (Feb 1)
- The UBC (University of British Columbia) Entrance Awards deadline is Jan. 31. The purpose of these awards are to support academically qualified students who show an interest in applying to UBC , but who would not otherwise be able to attend without significant financial assistance. See Student Services for more information.
- Digital Bootcamp (Center for the Arts and Technology): This three day, jam-packed event is a combination of hands-on experience, and education about future career paths. Register by January 31 and pay only a $100.00 fee (after January 31, registration is $150.00). Deadline: March 3, 2014. Two camps offered:
- Halifax location: April 1-3, 2014
- Fredericton location: March 3-7, 2014
- Holland College will be hosting Campus Tour Days on the following days/locations:
- February 8: Prince of Wales Campus, Georgetown, Tourism and Culinary
- February 22: Summerside Waterfront Campus, Alberton, Atlantic Police Academy
- o At these events, students can apply for free. Also students who fill out a ballot at these will be entered into a draw for free tuition. For more info or to register please contact email@example.com or call 902.566.9503.