It’s a “D-C” Day!
Welcome to the following guest staff today: Mike Hambly in for Class Composition, Amy MacPherson for Jared Cheverie, Andrew Murchison for Craig Conohan (pm), Donna White for Bethany MacLeod, and Janet MacDougall-Turner for Chantelle Beaton.
Happy Birthday to Mikayla McGuirk and Brooke Stewart.
Highlights for Today:
- Toy Drive: This week, students are invited to bring in cash and new or gently used toys to support kids at the IWK Hospital. Contributors will have a chance to win a $50 gift card and homeroom pizza party!
From the Library:
- Library has reopened!
- Are you interested in winning an Ipad from Scholastic Books? Be 1 of 5 winners of a 32 GB Ipad just by filling out a contest form in the School Library! Official contest rules and forms available at
http://www.scholastic.ca/clubs/activities/images/TR_Contest_iPad_01_2014.pdf One entry per person. No purchase necessary! Entries must be received before Friday, February 21, 2014. Winners announced on March 25, 2014. See Mrs. Killeen for more details!
- The MRHS Female Athlete of the Week for the week of January 6-10 is Zoie Farish of the Women’s Basketball team. Zoie was one of the high scorers in wins over Morell and Souris and played gutsy, tough, and scrambling defense in both games.
- The MRHS Male Athlete of the Week for the week of January 6-10 is Daniel Morrison-Benoit. Daniel’s hard work in training and on the court last week helped the Men’s Basketball team raise their level of play. A good shooting performance and leadership helped the team close to within three points of Souris, rebounding after a tough lose to Morell earlier in the week. Dan will be looked upon to continue his improving play this week, as the Vikings are at home for games Monday against Kensington and Wednesday against Three Oaks, before hitting the road on Friday for the rematch at TOSH.
- The Power Lifting Team trains on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 3:15pm in the Fitness Centre.
- Vikings & Red Rock Wrestling Clubs practice Monday and Wednesday 3:30 to 5:00 at Montague Consolidated.
- Requests for the Friday song: Submit a copy of lyrics and your name to Ms. Dowd or Brent Deagle.
- All students are responsible for Student Fees which are payable at the main office.
- Girls Group will resume tomorrow: Wednesday, January 15, 2014.
- Reader’s Circle will meet in the Conference Room of the Library on Friday at12:05pm. Group will discuss John Green’s “Searching for Alaska”. See you there!
- Culinary Class will be serving a meal on Friday, January 17. Canadia Meal includes cheddar chili soup and cornbread, sirloin roast beef, mashed potatoes, gravy, maple dill carrots, cinnamon apple crisp with vanilla ice cream and strawberry cordial. Cost is $8; reserve your plate now!
- Students are reminded that many colleges and universities require a resume with their applications. During the week of exams, Lynn Hayes will be available to assist students in developing resumes. Please contact Lynn in Learning Centre A if you would like any assistance with your resume.
- ATTENTION STUDENTS: Do you want a yearbook this year? Remember that you only have until January 30 to order yours. You can order from the website using a credit card http://www.jostens.com/apps/shop/yrbk_catalog.asp?cid=152996&pfid=2013101204154867059&affiliateId=1111993 or you can see Olivia Jamieson or Sabryna Schurman to pay by cash or cheque. Don’t forget that you can make a down payment for your yearbook and pay the rest before they arrive in June. Hurry up. Time is running out!
- Upcoming Scholarship deadlines; see the Scholarship Board in Student Services for more information.
- Future Aces Foundation Scholarship and Citizenship Award (Jan.15)
- Schulich Leader Scholarship (Jan.23)
- Canada’s Luckiest Student 2 Student Life Network Contest (Jan. 23)
- Terry Fox Humanitarian Award (Feb 1)
- The UBC (University of British Columbia) Entrance Awards deadline is Jan. 31. The purpose of these awards are to support academically qualified students who show an interest in applying to UBC , but who would not otherwise be able to attend without significant financial assistance. See Student Services for more information.
- Digital Bootcamp (Center for the Arts and Technology): This three day, jam-packed event is a combination of hands-on experience, and education about future career paths. Register by January 31 and pay only a $100.00 fee (after January 31, registration is $150.00). Deadline: March 3, 2014.
- Holland College will be hosting Campus Tour Days on the following days/locations:
- February 8: Prince of Wales Campus, Georgetown, Tourism and Culinary
- February 22: Summerside Waterfront Campus, Alberton, Atlantic Police Academy
- o At these events, students can apply for free. Also students who fill out a ballot at these will be entered into a draw for free tuition. For more info or to register please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 902.566.9503.
Public Service Announcements:
- Upcoming Bronze Medallion / Bronze Cross Courses: Classes will be offered at Atlantic Fitness East in Montague, starting tomorrow: January 15. These courses are pre-requisites for anyone who is interested in becoming a swimming instructor or a lifeguard. Call 838-3047 or visit the website at www.fitnesseast.ca for more details.