It’s a “D-C” Day!
Welcome to the following guest staff today: Zak Likely for Class Composition, Mike Hambly for Jonathan Hayes, Mike Brothers for Ronnie Munn, Donna White for Bethany MacLeod, Glenda Kohli for Heidi Hayden-Ward, Wanda Cheverie for Toby Murphy, Andrew Murchison for Jennifer Victor (pm), and Sherri MacKenzie for Dawn Martell.
Happy Birthday to Terry Bedell who will be celebrating his birthday tomorrow (Saturday).
Highlights for Today:
- Readers’ Circle will start today. The book for January is John Green’s Looking for Alaska. The Library has ten copies, so please save the date, bring your lunch and join the group at 12:05pm. Location TBA. Staff and students welcome!
- The Library remains closed. Students needing a study area can go to the following rooms:
- A and B Blocks – Room 213
- C and D Blocks – Room 85
- Toy Drive: Students are invited, this week and next week, to bring in cash and new or gently used toys to support kids at the IWK Hospital. Contributors will have a chance to win a $50 gift card and homeroom pizza party!
From the Library:
- Are you interested in winning an Ipad from Scholastic Books? Be 1 of 5 winners of a 32 GB Ipad just by filling out a contest form in the School Library! Official contest rules and forms available at
http://www.scholastic.ca/clubs/activities/images/TR_Contest_iPad_01_2014.pdf One entry per person. No purchase necessary! Entries must be received before Friday, February 21, 2014. Winners announced on March 25, 2014. See Mrs. Killeen for more details!
- Home room teachers have posted lists of overdue library items. Students, you should return your materials to the Library drop box in the hallway.
- Field Hockey players who are interested in playing indoors this winter should see Ms. Dowd for more information or email firstname.lastname@example.org to register. League begins on January 13.
- The Holland College Hurricanes Volleyball Academy is hosting a volleyball skills workshop tomorrow (Saturday) from 10am to 4pm. For more information or to register please contact Lori-Beth Dwyer at email@example.com or see Ms. Dowd.
- The Power Lifting Team trains on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 3:15pm in the Fitness Centre.
- Vikings & Red Rock Wrestling Clubs practice Monday and Wednesday 3:30 to 5:00 at Montague Consolidated.
- Requests for the Friday song: Submit a copy of lyrics and your name to Ms. Dowd or Brent Deagle.
- All students are responsible for Student Fees which are payable at the main office.
- Girls Group will resume on Wednesday, January 15, 2014.
- Students are reminded that many colleges and universities require a resume with their applications. During the week of exams, Lynn Hayes will be available to assist students in developing resumes. Please contact Lynn in Learning Centre A if you would like any assistance with your resume.
- ATTENTION STUDENTS: Do you want a yearbook this year? Remember that you only have until January 30 to order yours. You can order from the website using a credit card http://www.jostens.com/apps/shop/yrbk_catalog.asp?cid=152996&pfid=2013101204154867059&affiliateId=1111993 or you can see Olivia Jamieson or Sabryna Schurman to pay by cash or cheque. Don’t forget that you can make a down payment for your yearbook and pay the rest before they arrive in June. Hurry up. Time is running out!
- Upcoming Scholarship deadlines; see the Scholarship Board in Student Services for more information.
- Future Aces Foundation Scholarship and Citizenship Award (Jan.15)
- Schulich Leader Scholarship (Jan.23)
- Canada’s Luckiest Student 2 Student Life Network Contest (Jan. 23)
- Terry Fox Humanitarian Award (Feb 1)
- The UBC (University of British Columbia) Entrance Awards deadline is Jan. 31. The purpose of these awards are to support academically qualified students who show an interest in applying to UBC , but who would not otherwise be able to attend without significant financial assistance. See Student Services for more information.
- Digital Bootcamp (Center for the Arts and Technology): This three day, jam-packed event is a combination of hands-on experience, and education about future career paths. Register by January 31 and pay only a $100.00 fee (after January 31, registration is $150.00). Deadline: March 3, 2014.
- Holland College will be hosting Campus Tour Days on the following days/locations:
- February 8: Prince of Wales Campus, Georgetown, Tourism and Culinary
- February 22: Summerside Waterfront Campus, Alberton, Atlantic Police Academy
- At these events, students can apply for free. Also students who fill out a ballot at these will be entered into a draw for free tuition. For more info or to register please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 902.566.9503.