It’s a “D-C” Day!
Welcome to the following guest staff today: Zak Likely for Class Composition, Mike Hambly for Lianne Garland, Jessica Campbell for Heidi Hayden-Ward, Angel Campbell for Earl Campbell, Janet MacDougall-Turner, and Tracy Schurman for Dawn Martell.
Happy Birthday to Samantha MacDonald.
Highlights for Today:
- The Library will be closed this week. Students needing a study area can go to the following rooms:
- A and B Blocks – Room 213
- C and D Blocks – Room 85
- Peer Helpers: Block meetings today.
- Triathlon meetings at 11:43am in Learning Centre A.
- There will be a Power Lifting practice today at 3:10 for all lifters. Wyatt will be here to give out a new routine to prepare for the next meet and provincials.
- Toy Drive: Students are invited, this week and next week, to bring in cash and new or gently used toys to support kids at the IWK Hospital. Contributors will have a chance to win a $50 gift card and homeroom pizza party!
- A Block Study Students are asked to visit the office to pick up your matchmaker forms and information sheets on applying to college and university. Please return your matchmaker to Mrs. Killeen’s mailbox by Friday of this week.
- A jump drive has been found in the upstairs computer lab; and if it is yours, see Ms. Hayden-Ward. Someone has left a black binder behind in Learning Centre B. Please visit the Learning Centre if you are missing a binder.
From the Library:
- Readers’ Circle will commence Friday, January 10. The book for January is John Green’s Looking for Alaska. The Library has ten copies, so please save the date, bring your lunch and join the group at 12:05pm. Location TBA. Staff and students welcome!
- Are you interested in winning an Ipad from Scholastic Books? Be 1 of 5 winners of a 32 GB Ipad just by filling out a contest form in the School Library! Official contest rules and forms available at
http://www.scholastic.ca/clubs/activities/images/TR_Contest_iPad_01_2014.pdf One entry per person. No purchase necessary! Entries must be received before Friday, February 21, 2014. Winners announced on March 25, 2014. See Mrs. Killeen for more details!
- Home room teachers have posted lists of overdue library items. Students, you should return your materials to the Library drop box in the hallway.
- Basketball bus to Souris will depart at 3:30 pm today.
- The Holland College Hurricanes Volleyball Academy is hosting a volleyball skills workshop this Saturday, January 11, from 10am to 4pm. For more information or to register please contact Lori-Beth Dwyer at firstname.lastname@example.org or see Ms. Dowd.
- The Power Lifting Team trains on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 3:15pm in the Fitness Centre.
- Vikings & Red Rock Wrestling Clubs practice Monday and Wednesday 3:30 to 5:00 at Montague Consolidated.
- Requests for the Friday song: Submit a copy of lyrics and your name to Ms. Dowd or Brent Deagle.
- All students are responsible for Student Fees which are payable at the main office.
- Students are reminded that many colleges and universities require a resume with their applications. During the week of exams, Lynn Hayes will be available to assist students in developing resumes. Please contact Lynn in Learning Centre A if you would like any assistance with your resume.
- ATTENTION STUDENTS: Do you want a yearbook this year? Remember that you only have until January 30 to order yours. You can order from the website using a credit card http://www.jostens.com/apps/shop/yrbk_catalog.asp?cid=152996&pfid=2013101204154867059&affiliateId=1111993 or you can see Olivia Jamieson or Sabryna Schurman to pay by cash or cheque. Don’t forget that you can make a down payment for your yearbook and pay the rest before they arrive in June. Hurry up. Time is running out!
- Upcoming Scholarship deadlines; see the Scholarship Board in Student Services for more information.
- Burger King Scholars Program (Jan 10)
- AFOA-Potashcorp Aboriginal Youth Financial Management Awards (Jan.10)
- Future Aces Foundation Scholarship and Citizenship Award (Jan.15)
- Schulich Leader Scholarship (Jan.23)
- Canada’s Luckiest Student 2 Student Life Network Contest (Jan. 23)
- Terry Fox Humanitarian Award (Feb 1)
- The RCMP will be holding a Career Presentation at 3:00 pm on January 9, 2014, at the Rural Action Centre, Montague.
- The UBC (University of British Columbia) Entrance Awards deadline is Jan. 31. The purpose of these awards are to support academically qualified students who show an interest in applying to UBC , but who would not otherwise be able to attend without significant financial assistance. See Student Services for more information.
- Digital Bootcamp (Center for the Arts and Technology): This three day, jam-packed event is a combination of hands-on experience, and education about future career paths. Register by January 31 and pay only a $100.00 fee (after January 31, registration is $150.00). Deadline: March 3, 2014.
- Holland College will be hosting Campus Tour Days on the following days/locations:
- February 8: Prince of Wales Campus, Georgetown, Tourism and Culinary
- February 22: Summerside Waterfront Campus, Alberton, Atlantic Police Academy
- At these events, students can apply for free. Also students who fill out a ballot at these will be entered into a draw for free tuition. For more info or to register please contact email@example.com or call 902.566.9503.