It’s a “C-D” Day!
Welcome to the following guest staff today: Donna White for Kim Mason, Zak Likely and Mike Hambly for Class Composition, Dean Lackie for Lianne Garland, Janet MacDougall-Turner for Alana Trainor (pm), Wanda Cheverie for Pauline Kelly, and Sherri MacKenzie for Kelly Matheson.
Happy Birthday to Spencer Gillis. We also extend belated greetings to the following students who celebrated birthdays over the past few days: Jamie Robertson, Allie Boyle, Samantha Pirch, and Ian Soloman.
Highlights for Today:
- The Library will be closed today – students needing a study area can go to the following rooms:
- A- Room 213
- B- Room 213
- C – Room 85
- D – Room 85
- Emily Benoit and Samantha Pirch, please see Mrs. Killeen before break today.
- Teachers, please remind your students that many colleges and universities require a resume with their applications. During the week of exams, Lynn Hayes will be available to assist students in developing resumes. Please contact Lynn in Learning Centre A if you would like any assistance with your resume.
From the Library:
- Readers’ Circle will commence Friday, January 10. The book for January is John Green’s Looking for Alaska. The Library has ten copies, so please save the date, bring your lunch and join the group in the library conference room at 12:05pm. Staff and students welcome!
- Are you interested in winning an Ipad from Scholastic Books? Be 1 of 5 winners of a 32 GB Ipad just by filling out a contest form in the School Library! Official contest rules and forms available at
http://www.scholastic.ca/clubs/activities/images/TR_Contest_iPad_01_2014.pdf One entry per person. No purchase necessary! Entries must be received before Friday, February 21, 2014. Winners announced on March 25, 2014. See Mrs. Killeen for more details!
- Home room teachers have posted lists of overdue library items. Students, you should visit the library during break or lunch to renew or return your materials!
- Jason Reeves and Anthony McGuigan should submit your wrestling consent forms to Ms. Dowd as soon as possible.
- The Holland College Hurricanes Volleyball Academy is hosting a volleyball skills workshop this Saturday, January 11, from 10am to 4pm. For more information or to register please contact Lori-Beth Dwyer at email@example.com or see Ms. Dowd.
- The Power Lifting Team trains on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 3:15pm in the Fitness Centre.
- Vikings & Red Rock Wrestling Clubs practice Monday and Wednesday 3:30 to 5:00 at Montague Consolidated.
- Requests for the Friday song: Submit a copy of lyrics and your name to Ms. Dowd or Brent Deagle.
- All students are responsible for Student Fees which are payable at the main office.
- There will be a Power Lifting practice on Wednesday at 3:10 for all lifters. Wyatt will be here to give out a new routine to prepare for the next meet and provincials.
- If you would like this year’s yearbook, you now need to order from the website or see a member of the yearbook staff. The price is now $50 and NO orders can be taken after January 30, 2014. No exceptions! If you don’t order, you will not get a yearbook in June! See Sabryna Schurman or Olivia Jamieson for special options such as personalization, an autograph section and icons that are available for an extra charge. Payment options are available. See Ms McLane.
- All Grade 12 students will be receiving an information sheet from student services during A Block today. There is important information for 2014 graduates who are applying for university or college contained on this sheet. If you didn’t get a copy or have A block as a study block, please come get one at student services.
- Upcoming Scholarship deadlines; see the Scholarship Board in Student Services for more information.
- Burger King Scholars Program (Jan 10)
- AFOA-Potashcorp Aboriginal Youth Financial Management Awards (Jan.10)
- Future Aces Foundation Scholarship and Citizenship Award (Jan.15)
- Schulich Leader Scholarship (Jan.23)
- Canada’s Luckiest Student 2 Student Life Network Contest (Jan. 23)
- Terry Fox Humanitarian Award (Feb 1)
- The RCMP will be holding a Career Presentation at 3:00 pm on January 9, 2014, at the Rural Action Centre, Montague.
- The UBC (University of British Columbia) Entrance Awards deadline is Jan. 31. The purpose of these awards are to support academically qualified students who show an interest in applying to UBC , but who would not otherwise be able to attend without significant financial assistance. See Student Services for more information.
- Digital Bootcamp (Center for the Arts and Technology): This three day, jam-packed event is a combination of hands-on experience, and education about future career paths. Register by January 31 and pay only a $100.00 fee (after January 31, registration is $150.00). Deadline: March 3, 2014.
- Holland College will be hosting Campus Tour Days on the following days/locations:
- February 8: Prince of Wales Campus, Georgetown, Tourism and Culinary
- February 22: Summerside Waterfront Campus, Alberton, Atlantic Police Academy
- At these events, students can apply for free. Also students who fill out a ballot at these will be entered into a draw for free tuition. For more info or to register please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 902.566.9503.