It’s a “C-D” Day!
Welcome to the following guest staff today: Janet MacDougall-Turner for Charlie Trainor, Andrew Murchison for Jonathan Hayes, Zak Likely for Karen Malone, Donna White for Christie Beck, Brian Somers for Peter Connaughton, Amy MacPherson for Jared Cheverie, and Natalie Hardy for Kirk White (pm).
Christmas Dance will be held tonight from 7 to 10 pm with the doors closing at 8:30 pm.
Highlights for Today:
- The SAVE Door Decorating Contest will be judged today at the end of A block. The winning class will get pizza from Famous Peppers.
- Christmas Dinner will be served at lunch today. You must have purchased a ticket in advance.
- There will be a meeting on Friday in room #133 at 12:00 for anyone who is interested in attending CSLC 2014 in Kelowna, BC.
- Students: If you have any concerns about school photos, could you please let Mrs. Killeen, so she can look into it. Thank you.
- Grad Clothing is on sale in Room 141 from 12:00-12:30 this week.
- Any students who are interested in becoming a tutor in the new MRHS Peer Ed Tutoring Program should see Ms. Christie Beck or Ms. Kelly Pike to sign up. Students will receive community service bursary hours for the hours that he or she tutors.
- Requests for the Friday song: Submit a copy of lyrics and your name to Ms. Dowd or Brent Deagle.
- All students are responsible for Student Fees which are payable at the main office.
- Men’s basketball team bus will depart at 9:15 today for Colonel Gray.
- Gym and Fitness Centre will be closed at noon today.
- Athletic Department Fundraiser: Island Storm Basketball plays Moncton Miracles on Tuesday, December 10, at 7 pm. Tickets are only $5! Tickets are available from Ms. Dowd.
- Due to vandalism that has occurred in the men’s locker room, the doors will be locked at 3:30, then unlocked from 4:00-4:15. Access to the locker room after that time will be through the supervisor of the athletic activity.
- Viking Athletic clothing is on sale in the ticket booth every day at morning break and the beginning of lunch, indefinitely!
- Some fall athletes still have uniforms to be returned to Ms. Dowd! See below for a listing…
- Men’s Volleyball: Mark Morrison #13
- Men’s Soccer: Trevor Wheeler #3
- Women’s Soccer: Jory Donvan #16, Alisha MacDonald #5
- Women’s Volleyball: Emma Nabuurs #4, Allee Gallant #3, Emily Evans #14
- Field Hockey: Maddy Delodder, Chloe Chapman #5
- The Power Lifting Team trains on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 3:15pm in the Fitness Centre. Vikings & Red Rock Wrestling Clubs practice Monday and Wednesday 3:30 to 5:00 at Montague Cons.
- Scholastic book orders are due TODAY, to ensure delivery for Christmas. Books make awesome Christmas gifts and there are books for all ages in the flyers. Stop by the library and see Mrs. Killeen for more details. Cash or cheques accepted.
- The “Guess Who’s Reading” contest is still open for entries! Identify all of the 12 staff members reading their favourite book for your chance to win a holiday gift coupon, or discount for Scholastic, for a discount on any book order! All correct entries will be entered into a random draw, where three winners will be named! From now until December 13, ballots will be available in the Library!
- A representative from Saint Thomas University will be here today at Student Services between 9 and 10am to do an information session and admission on the spot with no application fee (for this event only). Please sign up in Student Services as well as get permission from you’re a Block teacher.
- Upcoming Scholarship deadlines; see the Scholarship Board in Student Services for more information.
- TD Scholarship for Community Leadership (Dec.6)
- 1800 Wheelchair Canada (Jan 5)
- Burger King Scholars Program (Jan 10)
- AFOA-Potashcorp Aboriginal Youth Financial Management Awards (Jan.10)
- House of Commons Page Program (Dec. 9)
- The RCMP will be holding a Career Presentation 3:00 pm January 9, 2014, at the Rural Action Centre, Montague.
- If you would like this year’s yearbook, you now need to order from the website or see a member of the yearbook staff. The price is now $50 and NO orders can be taken after January 30, 2014. No exceptions! If you don’t order, you will not get a yearbook in June!
- See Sabryna Schurman or Olivia Jamieson for special options such as personalization, an autograph section and icons that are available for an extra charge. Payment options are available. See Ms McLane.
- Due to the weather interruption, the next culinary meal will be on Tuesday, Dec. 10 at 11:50 in Room 136. The meal is wild rice & vegetable soup, cheese biscuits, roasted chicken, duchesse potatoes, sweet potatoes, stuffing, cranberry sauce, gingerbread bites and morning burst drink. Cost is still $8.00. Sign-up today or Monday. The meals will go fast!
- On Thursday, December 19, 2013, at the Chapters Indigo store in Charlottetown, there will be a fundraiser for the library from 5:00 to 7:00 pm. A portion of all regular priced sales will go towards the purchases of Kobo books, fiction, non-fiction and graphic novels. This is a great way to finish up your Christmas shopping and support the library. The MRHS choir will be on site entertaining shoppers with their musical talents. The library will be closed after school on this day for library staff to attend fundraiser. Sorry for any inconvenience.
Public Service Announcements:
- Ann and her elves at Sir Isaac’s Restaurant in Montague are once again serving a FREE Christmas dinner from 11:30 am to 3:00 pm on December 25. Call 838-2628 to reserve a seat. Everyone is welcome.